Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another Help Me Find a Laptop Thread

• 13-11-2007 8:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    So I've decided to just go ahead and buy a new laptop. My requirements are pretty simple. Internet, email, music, small bit of photoshop, website editing and all that stuff. No video editing and I'm not a gamer although having said that, I would like to be able to play the new Pro Evo 2008 smoothly which has recommended system requirements of:

* Windows XP
    * Pentium 4 3.0GHz /AMD Athlon 64 or better
    * 1GB RAM
    * 6.5GB free memory
    * 8x DVD-ROM drive
    * DirectX 9.0c video card
    * 256MB Pixel Shader 3.0 (ATI x1600 / NVidia 6800 GT/GS or better)
    * DirectX 9.0c Soundcard
    * DirectX 9.0c or higher
    * Windows USB Gamepad
    * 1280 x 720 resolution
    * Supported Chipsets:
    NVIDIA - GeForce 6600, 6800, 7300, 7600, 7800, 7900, GeForce FX (5950, 5900, 5800, 5600, 5200), GeForce4 Ti, GeForce3

Now since I'm buying a new laptop which I hope not to have to change for a long time as it's such a pain for me, I'd like it not to be obsolete too soon, even though I wont be pushing it to it's limits at all really. Money is indeed a factor so as long as it can handle the above smoothly and has nothing worse, spec wise, than my current laptop (which suits me fine but isn't in the best shape) it should suit me fine. Here is my current laptops spec:

Aspire 5021WLMi AMD Turion ML28 1.6Ghz (35W), Microsoft½ Windows½ XP Home, 15.4" WXGA Acer CrystalBrite, 128MB ATI X700, 512MB (2*256), 100GB, DVD Dual double layer, LiIon, Gigabit Ethernet & wireless 802.11g , 6-in-1 card reader.

the 6 in 1 card reader isn't really necessary for me but I wouldn't like to sacrifice anything more, especially the likes of the Dual layer burner.

I'd like a decent battery that will stay decent. The battery in my acer when I first bought it lasted maybe 90 minutes, now it lasts 20 at most. 90 minutes should be fine. I don't want extra bulk with a bigger battery or anything though, unless it's far superior and doesn't cost too much more.

Would like it to be light but it's not really an issue but I want it to be sturdy, especially the hinges.

I also want a warranty of maybe 3 years but the warranty will be useless for me if I have to ship it off, wait for diagnosis, give the go ahead, wait for repair and wait to get it back, so I want whatever that thing is of onsite next day return I think it is? I can't be without my laptop for more than a day or so (tragic I know :o).

I want the best value as possible so any e-value codes would be greatly appreciated too.

The screen on my acer was really nice, it wasn't soft like a lot of laptop screens are, but I'm not sure if it was glass either? I don't have a tv so this will be my dvd player too so as I said, nothing worse than the Acer including the screen, if I can get a screen like the acer had, that would be great :)

Now I think Dells Vostro range will probably be the one I go with, unless other manufacturers/retailers can offer warranty repair that means I wont be without my laptop for long, then I'm not really interested in buying their machine, of course at a competitive price to the vostro.

I have my own version of XP Pro by the way, so I think I'll probably get Vista with the new one, since it would be a bit of a waste to get XP since I have it already, might be good to have a Vista license if it ever gets stable. I'll be installing my own XP Pro as soon as I get it. This wouldn't void the warranty I hope?

I'm not really up to date on graphics cards and all that crap so if anyone could suggest a machine that fits all the above at a competitive price I'd really appreciate it. I don't need it any better than my Acer, other than to play PES 2008 and for it not to be obsolete. I have plenty of external storage so I'd be fine with a 80 or 100GB HD :)

Sorry for the long winded post, but I just want to get what's right for me :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

u have a budget??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

timmywex wrote: »
    u have a budget??

He'll probably post one up when he's next online. I'm going to assume there isn't one for now. Don't worry corm, I want go too over the top. :)

This vostro 1500 looks good. It's €770 excluding vat and delivery but the delivery is free for the next week or so on this system.
    BASE Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7250 (2.00 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache, 800 MHz FSB) edit
    OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Business - English edit
    HARDWARE SUPPORT Base Warranty - 1 Year Business Hardware Support edit
    LCD 15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display edit
    INTEGRATED WEBCAM Matte Jet Black with 2.0 mega pixel camera edit
    MEMORY 2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2x1024) edit
    HARD DRIVE 160GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive edit
    GRAPHICS CARD 128MB nVidia® GeForce® 8400M GS edit
    OPTICAL DRIVE Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive edit
    PRIMARY BATTERY Primary 6-cell Lithium-Ion Battery (56 WHr) edit

I'd probably upgrade the graphics card to the 8600. The 8400 should play pro evo well but I'd do it just to be on the safe side. That will increase the price by €60 excluding vat.

I know you want a 3 year warranty but I'd stick with the 1 year for now. You can upgrade it a anytime and dell will send you out a reminder when you're warranty is nearly up. It will most likely be cheaper to upgrade it then. I started a thread about it a few days ago so I'll take a look for it.

You have the option to put xp on it but seeing as you already have a copy there is no real point. You may as well keep vista and use that when you plan on upgrading. This will come with the vista disk as well.

Everything else is pretty good. Great processor, 2GBs ram should keep you flying by (and will be nice for photoshop), big hard drive, nice screen and you should get good battery life out of that battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Well from other Vostros I've seen it seems I could get a pretty good one for under €900? My budget is basically as cheap as I can get what I need:) If I say my budget is €900, I'd much prefer to spend €700 on something that will suit me and not have wasted €200 on excess stuff I wont be needing. I suppose whatever the cheapest I can get the above for is what my budget will be.

So say if the best I needed it to be was the PES 2008 recommended requirements and then the worst I wanted it to be being the acer, but then again, the acer is fine for me. I see PES 2008 recommends 1GB of ram but I read elsewhere that Vista is recommended to have 2GB of RAM. As I said, I don't want my machine to be obsolete soon, so if by getting 2GB of ram instead of 1, it means I wont have to upgrade for another few years, and that I can run Vista without a hitch if I ever decide to switch, then so be it. Then again, I've also read Dell charge far too much for an upgrade to 2GB from 1GB, so perhaps I can get the extra bits (not just ram?) elsewhere?

Also, I just saw an ad on TV for a new chip from Intel that allows much better performance with much less strain on battery, and keeps the laptop smaller or something? I think it was the duo core 2 or probably something that sounded nothing like that :) It was the ad where they are vocally introducing the chip as if it's on a catwalk. Is this included in most new machines or is it not out yet and if not, would I be better off waiting for it to appear in new machines?

I also see on one Vostro, to get a 120GB hd instead of a 60GB, is an extra €130:eek: (that €130 could buy me a 500GB external HD!!) so with things like this, I'd prefer to save €130! I also see a 9cell is only €30 dearer than a 4cell? if it's basic maths that 9 is more than double 4 for only €30, how much better are we talking in terms of performance?

When I talk of Warranty, I'm not sure, but is accidental damage included in the 3 year warranty? I'd like to have it, but how much extra would it cost? I don't need anything like Mcafee, Online back up or anything like that.

I don't need any accessories, but what's the option for the wireless mini card? Are they not usually built into the laptop?

:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Also, I just saw an ad on TV for a new chip from Intel that allows much better performance with much less strain on battery, and keeps the laptop smaller or something? I think it was the duo core 2 or probably something that sounded nothing like that smile.gif It was the ad where they are vocally introducing the chip as if it's on a catwalk. Is this included in most new machines or is it not out yet and if not, would I be better off waiting for it to appear in new machines?

I haven't seen that ad but it's most likely talking for the core 2 duo. These are brilliant processors and it's in the laptop I linked to above. They make the pentium 4 look like a gerbil on a wheel.
    cormie wrote: »
    Then again, I've also read Dell charge far too much for an upgrade to 2GB from 1GB, so perhaps I can get the extra bits (not just ram?) elsewhere?
    I also see on one Vostro, to get a 120GB hd instead of a 60GB, is an extra €130eek.gif (that €130 could buy me a 500GB external HD!!) so with things like this, I'd prefer to save €130!

Dell usually charge a fortune for upgrades. Basically if you see a laptop with 1GB ram and upgrade it to 2GBs it will ne a rip off. If the 2GBs come with the laptop as standard then it will be at a reasonable price. The same for the hard drive as well. You only need to worry about being ripped off when upgrading a component.
    When I talk of Warranty, I'm not sure, but is accidental damage included in the 3 year warranty? I'd like to have it, but how much extra would it cost? I don't need anything like Mcafee, Online back up or anything like that.

Warranty covers hardware failures. It won't cover accidental damage that is extra and will cost quite a bit more.
    I don't need any accessories, but what's the option for the wireless mini card? Are they not usually built into the laptop?

I have no idea what it is either but the laptop will have wireless.
    I also see a 9cell is only €30 dearer than a 4cell? if it's basic maths that 9 is more than double 4 for only €30, how much better are we talking in terms of performance?

The 9 cell battery will provide more than twice the battery life of the 4 cell. It will add weight and it will stick out of the laptop a bit. I'd recommend going for at least a 6 cell battery. The 6 cell will give good battery life and won't stick out of the laptop.

If you want to future proof the laptop, I'd recommend spending the €900. It will be worth it. Also if you want to run vista on it, I'd say go for 2GBs ram. It will run on 1GB but it will be a bit of a dog.

Regarding the laptop you suggested above, I notice it's 2GHZ but 3GHZ is recommended for PES? I like the touch of the integrated webcam, although it wont be used much. I also think 160GB is a bit much for the HD and would prefer to pay less, for less.

I didn't know you could upgrade to the warranty later, that's pretty cool but I'd still have to take into consideration that I will want to upgrade the warranty so will have to factor this into the cost.

I'm not sure if I'll be playing PES all that much, enough to take full advantage of the 8600 over the 8400, what other area of computing will this enhance or is it just games? PES is the only game I play, and I don't play it that much. If it's a case of things looking crisper, I'm not too fussed, if it means it will run smoother without slowing down etc, then I suppose I could be persuaded to spend the extra €60, but if it's just for graphics, I'd prefer the €60 :)

What kind of performance time can I expect from the 6cell as opposed to the 9? Is the 9 the one that sticks out? If so, I'd prefer the 6 as I should be near a power outlet when I'm out and about most of the time.

Also, what's the story with the screen? I see there are like 4 other more expensive options to go for. Is the included one as good as the Acer do you reckon? Would it be the soft screen or the glass like one I have on the acer do you know? The higher res is tempting:o

• Advertisement

Ok, from your reply above my last one, I'm thinking maybe the 2GHZ is infact better than a 3GHZ pentium 4? I remember something about different GHZ's in machines?

Think I'll go with the 6cell if it doesn't stick out but can provide good life, how good do you know though in terms of time if I'm just browsing the net and sending a few emails? I wont be playing music or anything if I need the battery to last :)

That's a pity that accidental damage isn't included, maybe I can get onto a salesman and ask them to throw in that and upgrade me to a 3 year for free :)

Regarding the laptop you suggested above, I notice it's 2GHZ but 3GHZ is recommended for PES?

It recommends a 3GHz Pentium 4. The pentium 4 was a terrible cpu and was horribly inefficient. A core 2 duo will greatly outperform it clock for clock. My friend is playing PES and he has a 1.6Ghz core duo (not as good as a core 2 duo).
    I like the touch of the integrated webcam, although it wont be used much. I also think 160GB is a bit much for the HD and would prefer to pay less, for less.

That is the smallest hard drive you can get on the vostro 1500 and you wouldn't be saving much if you had the option of 120GB.
    I didn't know you could upgrade to the warranty later, that's pretty cool but I'd still have to take into consideration that I will want to upgrade the warranty so will have to factor this into the cost.

I received a letter the other day saying it would cost less than €100 including vat to upgrade a 1year warranty to a 3year warranty on a vostro 1500. So it will be pretty cheap to upgrade after.
    I'm not sure if I'll be playing PES all that much, enough to take full advantage of the 8600 over the 8400, what other area of computing will this enhance or is it just games? PES is the only game I play, and I don't play it that much. If it's a case of things looking crisper, I'm not too fussed, if it means it will run smoother without slowing down etc, then I suppose I could be persuaded to spend the extra €60, but if it's just for graphics, I'd prefer the €60 :)

The 8600 will make it look a lot better but it should run smoothly on a 8400. The graphics card will not affect any other program so no point upgrading the graphics card.
    What kind of performance time can I expect from the 6cell as opposed to the 9? Is the 9 the one that sticks out? If so, I'd prefer the 6 as I should be near a power outlet when I'm out and about most of the time.

I think you should get about 2 hours doing some web browsing with the wifi on. The 6 cell won't stick out but the 6 cell will.
    Also, what's the story with the screen? I see there are like 4 other more expensive options to go for. Is the included one as good as the Acer do you reckon? Would it be the soft screen or the glass like one I have on the acer do you know? The higher res is tempting:o

The included one will be as good as the acer, probably better given improvements in lcds since then. It will be a soft one. I think acer use a glass cover over the monitor. Dell don't.

This is similar in spec to the one I posted above but is only €590 excluding vat and delivery. It's got a lower spec processor (1.6Ghz compared to 2Ghz) but this should still run PES.

Cool, thanks a mill for all this.

Is that 1.6GHZ the same as my ACER 1.6GHZ do you know? I'm guessing not since you say your friend has a 1.6 too, so my next question, would his 1.6 that can run PES be better than the Acer 1.6GHZ again?

So the 8600 only effects looks and it will run as smooth on both? If the 8600 makes it go smoother/faster/less glitch/slowdown, I might just go for it as we all know there will be another PES soon enough:rolleyes: However, if it's purely just for looks, I wont bother.

2 hours is cool for the 6 cell, that should definitely be enough for me :)

So is the only thing in the 2nd link that's different is the 1.6 compared to the 2 and the webcam not included? Saves €180 which is quite a chunk. If the 1.6 core 2duo is better than a P4 3GHZ, I'll probably just go with it and save the €180 (or €150 if I choose the webcam too) I think that's the only thing I see that's lower spec than the one for €770:confused:

Yeah the core 2 duos are better than the turions as well. And his core duo would be better than the turion in your laptop.

PES will run smoothly on both but the next PES (or some newer games you may decide to play) may not. That's why I'd recommend going with the 8600.
    So is the only thing in the 2nd link that's different is the 1.6 compared to the 2 and the webcam not included? Saves €180 which is quite a chunk. If the 1.6 core 2duo is better than a P4 3GHZ, I'll probably just go with it and save the €180 (or €150 if I choose the webcam too) I think that's the only thing I see that's lower spec than the one for €770confused.gif

I though that was odd myself. You can also upgrade to the processor that is in the other laptop for only €80. So it has the same spec but works out cheaper. Like I said the pentium 4 is a crap processor compared to the core 2 duos, also the core 2 duos are dual core. :) PES only recommends a single core pentium.

Ok cool. Nearly there :)

So a 1.6 core 2 duo should do everything I want without a hitch and even should for the next pro evo. The same may not be said for the 8400 so I should go for the 8600.

Do you know what the true life thingy is? I see I can get higher res (I always wished my acer could have gone just a bit higher) and true life for €40 extra, I think for the higher res alone it's worth it, just wondering what true life is though? Or then again, would the next one down for €70 be even better? Higher res again and Ultra Sharp whatever that means:)

Wish I could reduce the HD to maybe 80GB to save a bit, I know I wont be using the full 160.

I'll try get onto a salesman and haggle the warranty and accidental damage in for free, see how that goes:)

• Advertisement

True life is a glossy coating on the screen. It makes things like dvds and games look better but it can be a bit of a pain when doing normal things like web browsing and writing documents in word. It's also produces more glare when you have a light source behind you. I haven't used a tru life screen my self but I wouldn't use it until I tried it. It's 50/50 on whether people like it or not. I think ultrasharp means it has a higher resolution.

I don't know what the next PES will need specs wise, no one does but those with a time machine (I'm working on it :D). Games are more dependant on graphics card then on anything else. As long as you have a decent cpu and ram these will be fine for the next few year. The 1.6Ghz core 2 duo and 2GBs ram should be fine for the next few years.

The 8400 will be fine for the current PES but it will perform badly in other current games and will age poorly compared to the 8600.

So close now :P

So if you were me, would you go for the 1.6 or the 2.0 GHZ? Is the extra bit really worth adding another 10% onto the total cost like? Will I ever use the 2.0 and how will I notice the difference in every day use? Things open faster etc and overall better performance?

Thanks for the info on the screen. There's no option of the higher res without the true life though. Uh oh..

Well I probably wouldn't bother if I was you. You don't really use that many cpu intensive programs so you wouldn't notice any real improvement. Things like anti virus scans would be done quicker. That's about it.

Cool, ok, think that's everything I need to know anyway :) I'll have to think about the 8600 vs 8400 and the other little bits and decide on them myself.

Thanks a mill for all your help!

Just did a quick google on true life:

Benefits of Dell TrueLife™

* Crisper images
    * Brilliant colors
    * Sharp contrast
    * Wider viewing angles
    * Reduced eye fatigue

Drawbacks of Dell TrueLife™

* Can produce more reflected light in certain settings

Seems the pros outweigh the cons, think I might just go for it. It also means I can get the higher res too which is important!

Just another question or two,

How good is the 1 year base warranty? If I have a problem, how long will it take between reporting it and getting my laptop back fixed? Also, in cases like a breaking hinge, is this covered in the 1 year base warranty? Also, does the accidental damage cover the screen? Terrified of the hinges being crap after my Acer, it all started with a dodgy hinge, never abused it, just opened and closed it a bit too much I suppose.

Another thing, if I install my own XP when I get it, will this void the warranty? What if I was to replace the 160GB with the 100GB from my acer, would this void it?

I also see bluetooth is an accessory I can add on, does this mean the laptop has no bluetooth functionality unless I get this? will this be built into the laptop or a plug in device? Not really bothered with bluetooth but just curious :)

Just another question or two,

How good is the 1 year base warranty? If I have a problem, how long will it take between reporting it and getting my laptop back fixed? Also, in cases like a breaking hinge, is this covered in the 1 year base warranty? Also, does the accidental damage cover the screen? Terrified of the hinges being crap after my Acer, it all started with a dodgy hinge, never abused it, just opened and closed it a bit too much I suppose.

I'm not too sure about the warranty. It's a next business day which I think means they will come out and fix it there. I may be wrong. It's probably best to ring them about this.
    Another thing, if I install my own XP when I get it, will this void the warranty?

Nope, they might not support windows problems though but you'd probably get better answers over on the windows forum anyways. I've never used support for any windows problems, I've always used the internet.

What if I was to replace the 160GB with the 100GB from my acer, would this void it?

They give instructions on how to replace the hard drive with the laptop so I can't see it voiding the warranty but you may want to ring them about it just in case. You mightn't be able to put your old hard drive in it though. The vostro will most likely be a sata hard drive, your acer one could be an ide hard drive.
    I also see bluetooth is an accessory I can add on, does this mean the laptop has no bluetooth functionality unless I get this? will this be built into the laptop or a plug in device? Not really bothered with bluetooth but just curious :)

You will have no bluetooth unless you get this. This will be built into the laptop. You can pick them up on ebay for cheap enough and install it yourself relatively easily if you like.

lol, you're too helpful! Wasn't expecting a reply at this time:)

Thanks a mill! Think I've drained all the info I need outta you! I'll bug some salesman about all that stuff so:) Should be ready to buy as soon as I find out anyway. Thanks again, g'night!

No problems, man. Enjoy the new laptop. :)

Ok, so I've decided anyway and I'm going to go with:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5470 Processor (1.6GHz,800MHz,2MB L2 cache)
    Genuine Windows Vista® Business - English
    Base Warranty - 1 Year Business Hardware Support
    15.4" Wide Screen WXGA+ (1440 x 900) Display with TrueLife™
    Matte Jet Black with 2.0 mega pixel camera
    2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2x1024)
    160GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive
    256MB nVidia® GeForce® 8600M GT
    Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive
    Primary 6-cell Lithium-Ion Battery (56 WHr)

Microsoft® Works 8.0 - English
    Intel® Pro Wireless 3945 802.11a/b/g Mini-Card - Europe

Also Includes
    N11150010
    Vostro Notebook Order - Ireland
    English Documentation with English Power Cord
    Resource CD - contains Diagnostics and Drivers
    90W AC Adapter - 2 wire
    56.6k V.92 Capable Internal Modem & Adapter - Ireland/Spain
    Internal Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY)
    Base Warranty - 1 Year Business Hardware Support
    Save Euro 70 Ex VAT
    Dell Internet Order.

Works out at €719 ex vat and delivery so I'm going to try get onto a salesman and try haggle an upgrade to the 3 year warranty and 3 year accidental and I suppose free delivery too:D

I notice it said something about the keyboard being gap free to save dust and everything (nuts, porridge and seeds for me) getting in, that's cool, I was going to ask about that in the initial post but didn't think they made them :)

So how long should I expect to have to wait for this I wonder? and how thick is the actual laptop going to be?

Oh, the most important thing, is this the best price I can get on it or is there an E-Value code which will knock a bit more off my exact configuration?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭randombar

Right lads, good posting here, basically I'm getting a couple of laptops (one for de mother and one for a house mate) both only need it for surfing and word processing, no gaming no programming so basic spec will do.

Will the laptops on dell outlet come with wireless networking? It doesnt actually say it on any of them?

Can I really go for the 420 one if all they're doing is surfing and word processing?

Was losing faith in dell recently but the prices have come down considerably??

• Advertisement

Works out at €719 ex vat and delivery so I'm going to try get onto a salesman and try haggle an upgrade to the 3 year warranty and 3 year accidental and I suppose free delivery too:D

I seriously doubt you would get 3 year warranty, 3 year accidental cover and free delivery. That would probably be worth as much as the laptop itself. You might get free delivery though and a few quid off.
    So how long should I expect to have to wait for this I wonder? and how thick is the actual laptop going to be?

A week give or takes seems to be standard.

Oh, the most important thing, is this the best price I can get on it or is there an E-Value code which will knock a bit more off my exact configuration?

I know nothing about the different e value codes so can't help you there.

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Right lads, good posting here, basically I'm getting a couple of laptops (one for de mother and one for a house mate) both only need it for surfing and word processing, no gaming no programming so basic spec will do.

Will the laptops on dell outlet come with wireless networking? It doesnt actually say it on any of them?

Can I really go for the 420 one if all they're doing is surfing and word processing?

Was losing faith in dell recently but the prices have come down considerably??

All laptops come with wifi as standard. Yes the cheap as chips laptops will be fine for a bit of browsing and other light tasks. You might want to use xp or linux instead of vista though.

Ok cool thanks. I think I'll ask in the thread on bargain alerts, a poster there was posting loadsa e-value links:)

Here's an alternative suggested by Squall20:
    http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4QF8&CategorySelectedId=11105&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11105,403550000,4294953470,46400000,49290000,49010000,23

Not sure if that price is right though as it was on special at $1,100 at bestbuy and usually retails for $1299 and on amazon.co.uk it's £899 (POUNDS!!).

Even still though, the whole Acer warranty thing would throw me off. My laptop is the core of my business, without it I can't get emails=can't get jobs so I can't afford to send it off for warranty repair which, with Acer would take AT LEAST a week. Other than that it looks ok though.

I think I should probably just shurrup and order the Dell:o

I'm being convinced over MSN not to go for Dell because they use the cheapest components for their motherboards, hard drives etc and that the keyboards usually fall apart and they have hardware compatibility issues with other hardware.

I'm being convinced to go for the Acer. Hmmm.

Just looking at Dabs4work.ie, that acer linked to above has two different options, with a €300 ex vat price difference, but the only difference in the models I can see is the hard drive. Do they both have HD dvd players and displays I wonder?

€690 ex vat: http://www.dabs4work.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4QF8&CategorySelectedId=11105&NavigationKey=11105,50246,4294954416

€1,000 ex vat:
    http://www.dabs4work.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4QF9&CategorySelectedId=11105&NavigationKey=11105,50246,4294954416

:confused:

I'm being convinced over MSN not to go for Dell because they use the cheapest components for their motherboards, hard drives etc and that the keyboards usually fall apart and they have hardware compatibility issues with other hardware.

Do you mind if I ask who is telling you all that bullshít? Dell use their own proprietary motherboards. This is a way to keep the price down. The motherboards are fine for what they do and I wouldn't be surprised if all other large pc builders did the same.

In my dell laptop I have an intel cpu, nVidia graphics card, hitatchi hard drive, sony dvd drive. All good manufacturers. I don't know who makes the ram and I have no doubts that it's cheap. I don't care because expensive ram is only good if you are overclocking. I'd say acer and all the other pc manufacturers use cheap ram too.

The "keyboards usually fall apart" is utter shíte. So is the bit about hardware compatibility issues. I think he may be talking about vista here which is not dells fault and any computer using vista will suffer these issues regardless of manufacturer.

Here's an alternative suggested by Squall20:
    http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4QF8&CategorySelectedId=11105&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11105,403550000,4294953470,46400000,49290000,49010000,23

Not sure if that price is right though as it was on special at $1,100 at bestbuy and usually retails for $1299 and on amazon.co.uk it's £899 (POUNDS!!).

Even still though, the whole Acer warranty thing would throw me off. My laptop is the core of my business, without it I can't get emails=can't get jobs so I can't afford to send it off for warranty repair which, with Acer would take AT LEAST a week. Other than that it looks ok though.

I think I should probably just shurrup and order the Dell:o

That price is very similar to the dell. Although the dell has a slightly better cpu although I doubt it would be that noticeable. Also the dell does have the next business day warranty. I think this is a description of it here but I'm not positive (it doesn't say it's on the vostros). You should ring dell to confirm this.

'http://www.dell.com/downloads/emea/services/uk/en/nbd.pdf

If that is correct then the dell has a much better warranty than the acer. Acer might have a similar warranty but this would most likely cost extra.

Ok, just had a conversation with a Dabs agent. If I went for the acer, I'd be waiting at least 2 weeks to get it back if I had to send it off and I'd either get a replacement machine or a refund. I wouldn't get the same machine back. Then after 12 months, I'd have to send it to dabs, who would then have to send it to acer, then back to dabs, then back to me, so it would take about 6 weeks for repair then:eek:

Here is the full conversation for anyone who may like to know the same info:
    Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...
    All agents are currently busy. Please stand by.
    An agent will be with you in a moment. Thank you for your patience.
    The next available Agent will be with you in a moment.
    You have been connected to Steve .
    Steve : Good afternoon, how may we help you?
    Customer: Hi there, I'm thinking of buying the new AS5920 acer, but my experience of acer support is pretty bad, I have an acer laptop at the moment, and guess what, the screen has fallen off to to what started as a small cracked hinge, it would have taken at least 2 weeks from the time I sent it for repair, to getting it back, so it wasn't worth sending at the time. I need my laptop for my business, it's the base of my business, without it, I can't get wo
    Customer: get work.. so sending it to England for repair isn't really an option Do you know is there any IRish acer repair service and do you provide it yourself? Also, is the model for 690 including the HD dv player?
    Steve : Sorry but we do not know this information, you will need to put your query to Acer direct
    Customer: so what do I do if I buy it off you and have a problem?
    Steve : You need to return back to us directly
    Customer: and then what happens? where do you send it?
    Steve : We get it repaired and put it in our used stock section
    Customer: So the only option I have if I have a problem with my acer, is to get a replacemtn machine?
    Customer: what about data retrieval etc?
    Steve : Sorry please ignore that last line.
    Steve : Once we receive an item back, we will either replace or refund, but the data recover is your responsibility. Sorry
    Customer: can I still send it back for replacement or refund even if I've opened it up to get data off the HD?
    Customer: I assume I have 2 years with that EU law to send it back if there is a fault?
    Steve : If you have dismantled this item, then the manufacturers will refuse the return on the grounds that the opening of this machine may have caused the issue, therefore you can not return an item back to us that has been dismantled.
    Customer: ok, better just back it up regularly then :) so basically, if I buy the acer off you, and have a problem with it, I just send it back to you and I'll get a refund or replacement and wont have to deal with Acers horrible support in England? L:)
    Steve : That is correct yes
    Customer: ok cool, an where would I be sending it to?
    Customer: an Irish address? and how long would it take to get thre replacement mlaptop?
    Steve : Our head office in Bolton
    Customer: arghhh
    Customer: would the replacement be shipped from the UK or Ireland ten?
    Customer: then
    Steve : The replacement is shipped to the original delivery address
    Customer: but would the replacement be shipped from bolton, or from your irish warehouse/ just to see how long I'd be without teh laptop for
    Steve : It is shipped form Bolton
    Customer: can't see what I'm typing once I type over a few words, so excuse the spelling.
    Customer: and how long does it take for them to check it and see that yes, there is a fault and I should be given a replacement?
    Steve : This is usually only a few days after we have received this item
    Customer: a few days? ouch... So from the time I sip it (say 3 days to get to the UK) to the time yI get the replacement back, were talking a minimum of 2 weeks about?
    Steve : Roughly 2 weeks I would say yes.
    Customer: hmm, and say for example, the last problem I had with my acer, the hinge, if I sent it back saying that the hinge was cracked, and they saw a cracked hinge, would they just send a replacement out straight away?
    Customer: what kind of "testing" do they have to do?
    Steve : It is all about clearing the queue of incoming items, the time period is more or less the same
    Currently experiencing network delays, one moment please....
    Network connection re-established.
    Customer: I know a cracked hinge doesn't sound liek much, but it';s what begun my current state of my laptop,, crack got worse, till the hinge cracked completely, second hinge then cracked, had to hold up screen with a piece of string, eventually it got so bad that it would fall back, causing wires to snap and everything, so now I've pulled the screen off, the screen is where the antenna of the wwifi is, so my wifi ssucks, so now I have to carry around a
    Customer: monitor in my van if I'm going on a long trip, not the most portable laptop
    Customer: and the battery has deteriorated terribly, I used to get maybe 90 minutes, now I get 20 max
    Customer: but that new acer looks good
    Customer: do you know anything about it yet since you haven't got it in stock yet? does it come with the HD dvd player for 690 or were you saying I'd have to ask acer about that? it'd take about 4 days for them to asnwer me, they are useless
    Steve : Sorry but we don't have any information above what is listed on our website
    Customer: ok, and what time frame can I send the laptop back for replacement or refund? is it 2 years due to that EU law?
    Customer: there's some new law about the product lasting as long as it should and I think 2 years is the time or something (very vaugue)
    Steve : No, this is 12 months. After this period it is a repair which will take up to 6 years
    Customer: 6 years to wait for it to be repaired? or I have 6 years to get a free repair?
    Steve : weeks, sorry
    Customer: and will I be dealing with you for the repair? I send it to bolton, then bolton send it to acer? is that it?
    Steve : that is correct yes
    Customer: can I choose an extended warranty so I can get a replaement/refund for 3 years?
    Customer: or whatever
    Steve : You can purchase extended warranties, but I am not sure we sell these for that machine, you would need to check on our website
    Customer: ok thanks, and last question, if you no longer stock the laptop, and I'm entitled to a replacement, what happens? will I be given a refund or another machine?
    Customer: or is it situation dependant?
    Steve : It will be a refund
    Customer: of exactly what I paid?
    Customer: and how long does that usually take to be credited back to me?
    Customer: is the AS5920 still scheduled for arrival next week?
    Steve : It all depends really on the situation and circumstances, but usually within days of receiving the item back
    Steve : We have a date of 20th November
    Customer: ok cool. Right, thanks a lot for the info. I'll have to have a think about it, as I said, I can't be without my laptop for long, so the whole 2week thing might be the deal breaker :(
    Steve : Thank you for using this service. Goodbye.
    Thank you for using InstantService. You may now close this window.
    Your session has ended. You may now close this window.

So I don't think the Acer is an option because if anything goes wrong it will be at least 2 weeks till I get it back.

Almighty, do you have a Vostro yeah? I've seen a close up of the vostro keyboard on a pic online, and it doesn't look like it is sealed as it's described on the dell site, to stop dust and food getting lodged under the keys. Is yours sealed?

Regarding the conversation on MSN, he wasn't talking about vista with the hardware, but I've also heard elsewhere myself that there may be hardware compatibility issues if using a dell. He says it's just them using bits that dont work properly together and bad things happen and the pc doesn't run well. He's heard this from people in gold level tech support. This was 3-5 years ago by the way. Perhaps things have changed?

Edit: Just seen this deal on a sony too: http://www.musthave100.co.uk/index.php?target=products&product_id=16463 how would that measure up? What about sony support? Probably a 2 week job like Acer with sending it off and all that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭randombar

• Advertisement

How does everything in the Sony compare to the Dell? Is the Dell better in all aspects?

Advertisement