Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

watching laptop on TV screen

• 09-11-2007 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi all

I have a failry new inspiron 1501 (6 months) running xp professional and am trying to project my laptop screen onto my widescreen tv, i bought a 15 pin to 3 pin tv connector (i think it is called an rca output) and a 3 pin to scart connector to get the picture but no joy whe I plug it in - do I need to press some laptop keys to flick the screen up to the TV or is it dependent on the type of laptop I have.

All help gratefully accepted!

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

Did you try the usual Fn+F8 switch screen shortcut?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

i bought a 15 pin to 3 pin tv connector (i think it is called an rca output) and a 3 pin to scart connector to get the picture but no joy whe I plug it in

OK , 15 pin to 3 RCA sounds like a VGA to RGB cable , which should work if connected to the right type of scart , trouble with that is that scart connections can be directional , make sure the scart type you have is an input , there may be switch on it to change from input to output.

The Other thing that might be wrong is that the 15 pin to 3 RCA is indeed VGA to RGB ( cant see what else it might be to be honest ) , but that the scart is a 3 RCA but its composite and left and right stereo.
    This being the case it definitely wont work.

If you could post a picture of the cables , particularly the ends that would help in getting an accurate solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Gar81

I'm having the same problem, I'm using an s-video,left right audio to scart lead, with my inspiron 6400 and plasma. doesn't matter wat way i put switch on scart the picture won't come up. audio is fine though

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭fullirish

Thanks guys - tried th Fn+F8 ans it comes up with a small window - "presentation mode is off, no external monitor detected"

No camera at the mo - so I will describe the cables: 15pin at one end that slots neatly into 15pin receptor on the laptop, the other end of the cable is a 3 pins that look like the one here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VGA-SVGA-to-3-RCA-Component-Cable-Video-pc-tv-UK_W0QQitemZ280172098386QQihZ018QQcategoryZ32837QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The tv has a place to take these type of cables but the colours on the input on the tv are red, white and yellow so to be doubly sure I bought one of these: that translates the 3 leads to a scart connection - again red, white and yellow connections:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/3-X-RCA-Phono-S-Video-to-SCART-Adapter-UK_W0QQitemZ280171415102QQihZ018QQcategoryZ61395QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have the scart connector on input so am I connecting the wrong colours or am I doing something else wrong ?

Thanks a mill
    cheers
    fullirish

OK thats definitely not going to work , that type of scart connector is for composite video and left and right audio , it will not work with that 15 pin to RGB cable that you have which is component video ...RGB = red green blue ,

You need to get a VGA to scart cable , these are available most anywhere , your problem above is that the RGB signals are being fed to the wrong pins on the scart.

This is what you need

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-SCART-To-VGA-cable/dp/B0002W69MY

• Advertisement

Cheers bud! I should have asked before I bought the cables!

When I try to buy this cable on amazon it gives me jip over my address - even though it's an Irish address - says its outside deliverable region and quotes the following:

"Certain items from our Electronics & Photo, and Home & Garden stores cannot be delivered to the Republic of Ireland. See each item's product information page for any specific delivery restrictions."

Cant see any on ebay - anywhere else you know of where I should be able to get one ?

cheers

Is this the same dude from pixmania ?

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/168233/art/hama/video-connecting-cable-sc.html

some of these cables are mentioning "HD" but the TV is not HD ready - does this matter ?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭William Gates

Hi lads,

I'm trying to do the same thing here, i.e. be able to run films etc on my TV from my laptop and have having difficulties. I'm not too techie minded so will try and explain the situation as best I can in my non-techie speak and maybe somebody could help me.

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 9400 and my TV is a Daewoo (DTP-28A8GB) which is about 5 years old, is Scart and doesn't have s-video.

I've been to Malpins, told them what I was looking for and they gave me (and here's where my techie abilities let me down) ........

1. A cable which is 3-pronged on both sides with 1 yellow, 1 white and 1 red jack.

2. Then there's a Scart-type converter with s-video lead.

So I have connected the s-video lead (7-pin) from the converter to the s-video slot on the laptop.

The 3-pronged cable is connected to the yellow/white/red slot on the front of the TV on one side and into the Scart-type converter on the other.

So now I connect the Scart-type converter into the Scart socket in the TV and the scart lead from the NTL box into the Scart-type converter.

So now, to me everything appears to be connected but nothing happens.

There is a switch on the Scart-type converter which when I switch when I'm on the NTL channel the colour dims a bit.

OK, that's it, probably the worst description ever but any help would be muh appreciated.

W.G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭hanton12

I am haivng much the same problem! Tom Dunne (I assume not the todayfm DJ, but a poster here) recommened an s-Video to scart lead which I now have, and without being much of a techie head either, I need a simplistic way of getting it all to work. It arrived todayl so I have not had any time to try solve the problem myself, so sorry for being a lazy ar$ed good for nothing and a bit stupid! Do I need to convert the laptop output to PAL. If so, how? I have a HP laptop and the s video cable is 4 pronged, not 7, but I think that doesnt really matter?

When I try to buy this cable on amazon it gives me jip over my address

Google scart to VGA , they are available everywhere , maplins or pc world should do them also ,

Every laptop has a VGA port , only some of the new ones have S video as its a dying interface , none of the newer thinkpads for instance have an S video port.
    Thats why these cables are so common.

S video to scart is a minefield by the way , you see more posts on that here that anything else , it depends on how your scart connector is wired as to whether or not it will work and there are too many combinations that dont work to type here ,
    So William , I suggest you get one of these cables as well and forget the s video thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭hanton12

came home from work and tried working the s video to scart lead that 'Tom Dunne' had advised to me earlier in the week. Simple soution anyway, pressed 'fn + f4' and hey presto, laptop screen on tv. Not at all complicated and quality is excellent. Cheers for the heads up, cable is perfect and works easily. Here's what was recommended to me and what I would also say is great and works well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

hanton12 wrote: »
    came home from work and tried working the s video to scart lead that 'Tom Dunne' had advised to me earlier in the week. Simple soution anyway, pressed 'fn + f4' and hey presto, laptop screen on tv. Not at all complicated and quality is excellent. Cheers for the heads up, cable is perfect and works easily. Here's what was recommended to me and what I would also say is great and works well

*bows*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,613 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055182966

Same topic for me, anyone care to help here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭BCawley

fullirish wrote: »

EDIT//// Or this?

So yes this question has been asked a million times but I need advice.

I'm looking to hook up a vostro 1000 with vga output to my crappy portable tv.
    It has a scart port at the back, and I know a Playstation 2 with the Yellow, Red, White jacks work with the scart adapter supplied.

So basically will the cable quoted above work with the YRW jack scart? If not what would?

thanks

Advertisement