Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy drinking while out...

Options
  • 21-11-2004 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭

Ok Im going to start tomorrow trying to lose weight and tone up my body. My boyfriend is in a band and plays 3 gigs every week, which is costing me a fortune on bacardi and diet coke (6.50 each), what other alternative drink can i have that would be healthy but also to get me in the mood for a good night out. I heard cranberry juice and vodka is good....any other suggestions.

for those healthy people or people sticking to a diet what do you normally drink while out....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭test999

sneak a hip flask full of vanilla vodka into the place, all the old people do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

What about good ol' sparkling mineral water with a slice of lemon (add some spirit like gin or vodka if you want).

Diet Coke contains aspartame - I've heard it's been thought to have dodgy effects but I'm not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

How's about just not drink for a while, thats the best option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Scubachick

I know some of the Weight Watcher points, so if it helps:

Bacardi and a diet drink - 1.5 points
    Vodka and Cranberry juice - not sure, Vodka=1.5 and unsweetened juice perhaps 0.5 (same as an apple).
    Coors light - 2.5 -same as a bottle of Bud or Miller. The light refers to colour or taste, rather than calories!
    Bulmers light - 1 point
    Pint of Guinness - 3 points
    Pint of larger - 4 points

Watch out for fruit drink mixers, as they often have added sugars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

what about gin and slim-line tonic with lemon?

• Advertisement

Gin & Slim is only 1.5 points, but it would be the same price as the Barcadi and diet! Anyone else have a cheap and low cal options?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Coors Light?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

or Bulmers lite.. what's that like? In Cork a tonic etc. is cheaper than a mineral like 7up.. no idea about up in Dublin sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

Whiskey, no need for a mixer, just plain ol' sippin whiskey ;) and I have no idea how many weight watchers points it is, but the Irish and Scotch kind are particularly palatable

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

simu wrote:
    Diet Coke contains aspartame - I've heard it's been thought to have dodgy effects but I'm not sure.

I've heard it makes testicles shrink... so she's probably OK :eek:

• Advertisement

Blisterman wrote:
    Coors Light?

Coors light is not light in calories - just light in colour, so it's the same as drinking a bottle of bud or miller. Larger is also one of the highest calorie drinks. I think it is scandlous the way people can market their products in this way - it is very misleding. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Lexie

What about wine. Dont think it has as many calories as other alcoholic drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blue Duck

Just to set you all straight on the weight watchers points

Pint of larger - 4 points no tis actually 3

Cranberry juice is really high in points there are 2 in a 250ml glass

Coors light is light in calories and a bottle has 1 point

Bulmers light is 1 point per 300mls not per bottle.

Wine: a bottle is 7 1/2 points, quarter bottle is taken as 2 points.

On the asparatame note, appartently is makes rats testicles shrink, wonder if the same happens to men??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,917 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Aspartame is nasty nasty stuff, testicle issue or not. And it still produces an insulin response leading to weight gain, despite being calorie-free. In fact this makes it worse than a calorie laden drink as it can lead to hypoglycaemia. Sucralose is fine though (it's used in Bulmers light and the new Diet Club Orange/Lemon). In deciding what to drink I weight up the sugar in the drink before I weigh up the alcohol. So lager is out. Bulmer's light is fine. Wine is okayish too(but can be quite addictive for those of us with a sweet tooth). Corrs light is lower in sugar(maltose) than normal lager I heard, is that true?

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

What's the difference in taste between Bulmers Light / Bulmers Original? Do they come in the same quanitities too?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

What does diet coke contain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

calpol and heroin

Advertisement