Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where are you buying your coffee these days?

• 28-11-2014 11:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anybody has discovered any nice roasters recently.

Looking for some alternatives to my usual, The Barn, square Mile & Workshop.

Cheers,
    J

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Loving Ponaire's European Espresso blend at the moment link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

I buy dewberts at either Tesco or wherever sell it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭James_R

I've been sticking with 3fE the past year or so after a six month flirtation with Squaremile. Going to pull the trigger on an In My Mug weekly Hasbean subscription in the new year. Looking forward to trying the Koppi coffees when they arrive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Another vote for 3FE and also CoffeeAngel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

I'm still working through my Berlin coffee (The Barn, Bonanza, Five Elephant), but usually, I buy mine from Coffee Angel. If not, 3FE and Art of Coffee (but that's only when I can't get to Coffee Angel, 3FE only has the expensive-as-hell stuff and I really want an Ethiopian bean) - the stock Bailies, basically. I'll get around to trying that new place in Rathmines.
    snollup wrote:
    Looking for some alternatives to my usual, The Barn, square Mile & Workshop
    Where are you getting your Barn coffee? When I dropped into their Prenzlauerberg HQ, I drank an amazing Kenyan and bought a lovely Sidamo, which I'm drinking now. Only place I've seen it here is the Dublin Barista School, but I haven't checked if they still stock it. And I actually don't think it's worth the extra price when Coffee Angel is just across the road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

I only seem to drink Vietnamese coffee lately and I get it from Dragoncoffee.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

sarkozy wrote: »
    I'm still working through my Berlin coffee (The Barn, Bonanza, Five Elephant), but usually, I buy mine from Coffee Angel. If not, 3FE and Art of Coffee (but that's only when I can't get to Coffee Angel, 3FE only has the expensive-as-hell stuff and I really want an Ethiopian bean) - the stock Bailies, basically. I'll get around to trying that new place in Rathmines.

Where are you getting your Barn coffee? When I dropped into their Prenzlauerberg HQ, I drank an amazing Kenyan and bought a lovely Sidamo, which I'm drinking now. Only place I've seen it here is the Dublin Barista School, but I haven't checked if they still stock it. And I actually don't think it's worth the extra price when Coffee Angel is just across the road.

I order it directly from their website. Their delivery charges are only €4 for two bags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Not too bad. Do you really think it's worth the effort ordering from them vs. getting coffee from somewhere like Coffee Angel? It's great stuff, though. They're nice folks, too. They gave me a rake of taster bags because I couldn't add anymore to my carry-on luggage!

Don't get me wrong, I love Coffeeangle, I used to work there, but they don't change their coffee very often. I do buy their coffee but I like a little variety. Yes, I really feel it worth ordering from different roasters online. As I when I was starting out as a barista the more different coffees' you try the better your palate will become. I especially love trying the same bean roasted by different roasters. It's amazing how different roast profiles brings out different qualities in the same coffee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

I am sure it's well known company http://www.discountcoffee.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i get bags of munkey beans directly from java republic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

What are you thinking about these :
    http://www.bailiescoffee.com/collections/espresso-blends/products/puccini-espresso
    Free delivery for 2 bags, I believe it is exactly Same coffee , as coffeeangel's
    http://coffeeangel.com/product/forsa-gala-espresso/
    Only cheaper.
    Are they (coffeeangel )roasting coffee themself or just buying whole sale from Bailies and others ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭James_R

alec76 wrote: »
    What are you thinking about these :
    http://www.bailiescoffee.com/collections/espresso-blends/products/puccini-espresso
    Free delivery for 2 bags, I believe it is exactly Same coffee , as coffeeangel's
    http://coffeeangel.com/product/forsa-gala-espresso/
    Only cheaper.
    Are they (coffeeangel )roasting coffee themself or just buying whole sale from Bailies and others ?

I'd imagine they have a couple of custom roast profiles that they work out with Bailies for their branded coffees but I've no idea how much input they have.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

poinaire in limerick is dynamite. change the blend every week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Aldi :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 coffeewanker

Lidl beans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Lidl beans
    There is no such a thing or is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭cargen

alec76 wrote: »
    There is no such a thing or is it?

Some time they stock Italiamo coffee beans.
    Very cheap and in my opinion good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Badger & Dodo at the Douglas Market. Freshly roasted the day before. €6.20 per 250g bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Love the Badger & Dodo coffees. The Guatamala, Nicaragua and the Ethiopian are unreal. So too is the Sumatra. The Kenyan also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

cargen wrote: »
    Some time they stock Italiamo coffee beans.
    Very cheap and in my opinion good.

Yes, they do. A sort a seasonal stocking, none to be had at the mo, but due back in a month or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭nc6000

Aldi :)

+1

The French Blend, Italian Blend and Ethiopian one are all very drinkable and good value too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

On my last bag before my 3 bag Bailies sub arrives. Will probably give the Bear Market Coffee in Blackrock house mix a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Clinker

Square Mile: espresso subscription + filter subscription + regular purchases to maintain supplies. Very happy with this!

This is really good:

http://www.hasbean.co.uk/products/ethiopia-sidamo-kebel-kercha-guji-natural

First time I've ordered from HasBean in a long time. Love how quickly the turn orders around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Last bag was from Ozone and I was mightily impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

snollup wrote: »
    This is really good:

http://www.hasbean.co.uk/products/ethiopia-sidamo-kebel-kercha-guji-natural

First time I've ordered from HasBean in a long time. Love how quickly the turn orders around.

I might get this! how long does it take you to get it and how far away from roast date is it ?

Jezek wrote: »
    I might get this! how long does it take you to get it and how far away from roast date is it ?

I ordered Thursday evening, roasted & posted yesterday. Will have it on Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

snollup wrote: »
    I ordered Thursday evening, roasted & posted yesterday. Will have it on Monday.

Great! I might put an order in next week. Let us know if it delivers on those extraordinary promises Steve makes!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Bailies puccini and sweet wonders are my go to at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Complete novice here lads, love buying coffee when out but only recently purchased a home coffee maker. Just looking for a top notch coffee bean to make cappuccino's at home? Preferably something I can buy in Ireland although ordering online is fine too if it gets you better quality.

Complete novice here lads, love buying coffee when out but only recently purchased a home coffee maker. Just looking for a top notch coffee bean to make cappuccino's at home? Preferably something I can buy in Ireland although ordering online is fine too if it gets you better quality.

For a Cappuccino/Latte you should use an Espresso Bean

Try Ponaire's European Espresso Bean Dr. Winston - nice dark flavour

Tried a good few beans from a good few sources .. and Ponaire's is my favourite so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

keith_d99 wrote: »
    For a Cappuccino/Latte you should use an Espresso Bean

Try Ponaire's European Espresso Bean Dr. Winston - nice dark flavour

Tried a good few beans from a good few sources .. and Ponaire's is my favourite so far!

Perfect cheers, will give it a shot. Stupid question alert as well: It offers a choice of either ground/whole bean, presumably that depends on your coffee machine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I'm an illy fan. Would anyone have any recommendations with similar tastes? Thanks

Perfect cheers, will give it a shot. Stupid question alert as well: It offers a choice of either ground/whole bean, presumably that depends on your coffee machine?

Yep if your machine can grind get the whole ... Nicer/fresher than pre-ground

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I normally buy whole beans from Amazon, but had an order delivered from All About Pods in Dublin yesterday. A kilo bag each of Darboven Alberto and Segafredo Espresso Casa Extra Strong. €9.50 each which is really cheap. €5 shipping up to €50 (hence me buying two bags), free if more. I know these beans won't appeal to many in here, but they may be of interest to some.

how is that when i brew my coffee using a french press that it is never as nice as the barista style coffee using the expensive machines? What does the machine do that makes it nicer can anybody tell me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,534 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Roquentin wrote: »
    What does the machine do that makes it nicer can anybody tell me?
    Make Espresso?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

how is that when i brew my coffee using a french press that it is never as nice as the barista style coffee using the expensive machines? What does the machine do that makes it nicer can anybody tell me?

Its to do with the pressure that coffee is extracted at. When you use a french press there isn't that much pressure. When you use an espresso machine the water passes through the coffee at about 9 or 10 bars of pressure, extracting coffee at this pressure extracts the oils that are in the coffee, what is known as crema, giving it a nice creamy head and also making it taste much more intense and flavoursome.

If you want to get better results from pressing coffee manually I'd advise buying an Aeropress over using a french press. But you'll never get a proper crema on it like barista style coffee, for that you need a proper espresso machine and a grinder

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Its to do with the pressure that coffee is extracted at. When you use a french press there isn't that much pressure. When you use an espresso machine the water passes through the coffee at about 9 or 10 bars of pressure, extracting coffee at this pressure extracts the oils that are in the coffee, what is known as crema, giving it a nice creamy head and also making it taste much more intense and flavoursome.

If you want to get better results from pressing coffee manually I'd advise buying an Aeropress over using a french press. But you'll never get a proper crema on it like barista style coffee, for that you need a proper espresso machine and a grinder

thanks. those barista machines are expensive, about 3k i think. if i won the lotto i would buy one. you cant beat the barista style

• Advertisement

thanks. those barista machines are expensive, about 3k i think. if i won the lotto i would buy one. you cant beat the barista style

An entry level model is the Gaggia Classic, it costs approx €250 or you can get them second hand for €150ish. I have one at the moment and they're perfectly fine for the home user to produce barista style coffee.

What is just an important though is a grinder, one that can grind beans fine enough to produce espresso. There's lots of €30-€50 grinders on the market but they aren't up to the task. An entry level grinder like the Iberital MC2 costs approx €150.

I did without a grinder and just bought pre-ground coffee for the first few months. It was very nice but now I have a good grinder which meant all my coffee is from freshly ground beans rather than from beans that were ground weeks ago in a factory somewhere. Its been a big boost to the flavour and taste and now I'm even more addicted to coffee than ever :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

Bon espresso & News in Ballsbridge do a surprisingly good coffee which is far superior than Rolys and Starbucks. Café Java close by is a close second.

Lovely staff too.

Just got 6kgs of coffee from discountcoffee.ie Ordered at 12pm and delivered by 2pm the next day which was impressive. I've only tried their Temple Bar so far but it is very nice and at €8.16 a kilo great value too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Was in coffeeangel on Sunday, usually a big fan of the place but the coffee I was buying had been roasted on Feb 10th. This was on March 8th.

I asked did they have anything more recent but they didn't. Was told 2-3 weeks is usually fine. Didn't want to get into an argument so went for a different bag of coffee that was roasted Feb 24th I think.

Just taken an order from coffeemojo today, first time in over a year.

Came to about €20 for 2 bags. See their bags have increased from 227 to 250g.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Anyone recommend anything from ponaire (I like a nice chocolately, nutty coffee with low acidity)? I see they do free postage with orders over 500g so going to give them a shot (excuse the pun :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

adrian522 wrote: »
    Was in coffeeangel on Sunday, usually a big fan of the place but the coffee I was buying had been roasted on Feb 10th. This was on March 8th.

I asked did they have anything more recent but they didn't. Was told 2-3 weeks is usually fine. Didn't want to get into an argument so went for a different bag of coffee that was roasted Feb 24th I think.

Just taken an order from coffeemojo today, first time in over a year.

Came to about €20 for 2 bags. See their bags have increased from 227 to 250g.

Got coffee on thursday that was roasted the day before :P
    However I got coffee there the week before and it was the 10th of FEB and i was questioning should I buy or not as i knew I wouldn't be finishing it until the start of this week.
    Its annoying and something that they need to look into....although if Karls happy to brew with it, then technically shouldn't I:pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yeah but Karl would get through a bag fairly quickly, if I buy a bag today, I may not open it until Friday or Saturday and it could be 7-10 days by the time I finish it, so if it already 1 month old then it would be too old by the time I get to the end of the bag which is why I want more recent roasts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Hey guys
    Got some great reading in this thread - thanks for sharing!

Normally order from ponaire - have tried the european and indian blends and the bobolink - love the european best I think, any other recommendations of something different to try? Or even another roaster round that price point €20 for a kg-ish??

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

I was getting mine from love supreme. They Havent had any last few times ive visites tho.

• Advertisement
Advertisement