Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

corn dogs..?

Options
  • 21-08-2010 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭

has anyone come across these in Ireland at all or have any idea on how to make them.what kind of batter? hence the name corn dogs?,i have a terrible craving for these they just look so yummy

CornDogMain.jpgcorndog.jpg?w=266&h=247

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

It's just a battered sausage with a hotdog.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

crossaint dough wrapped in a hot dog makes great corn dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Its more of a doughnutty or sweet batter mix.

They are rotten btw. Got one as I really wanted to taste them, but were terrible!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 djscarr

spider_pig wrote: »
    has anyone come across these in Ireland at all or have any idea on how to make them.what kind of batter? hence the name corn dogs?,i have a terrible craving for these they just look so yummy

I've only ever had them twice. While on my regular stays in Kells, Co Meath during a market day a fella was selling them from a food cart, he was making them fresh and hoping they would do well in the town but I guess not many tried them cause I've not seen him since, its a pity cause they were f'n delish.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭uberalex

It's a corn batter, so it needs that. What they call cornflour we call corn meal or polenta, and what they call cornstarch, we call cornflour. http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/cornflour

This recipe looks good, but not sure what a good substitute for the creamed corn is, I've never seen it in Ireland. You can make buttermilk with lemon juice if needs be.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/corn-dogs-recipe.html#lightbox-recipe-video

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

uberalex wrote: »
    This recipe looks good, but not sure what a good substitute for the creamed corn is, I've never seen it in Ireland.

You can find tins of creamed corn in Asian shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I made these a week ago, came out well, but I would suggest that the cornmeal batter is made a few hours in advance.
    When I made them and floured the hotdogs then dipped them in the batter most of it ran off.
    If you leave the batter to sit for a few hrs or even overnight it thicken up as the starches absorb the water/milk and the batter becomes much thicker and will stick better.
    Hard to fry whole franks, I found it better to cut them in half and fry them that way rather than whole with the end sticking out of the oil.
    If I could put the whole thing in a big frying vat it would work better.
    Come to think of it my Turkey fryer would be perfect.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I got a few of these in The Liquor Rooms, they were served as part of a platter.

They're great!

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Red Wolf

Corn Dogs are great!! Never had one that was on par with the ones from America, probably all the crap that they can put in them over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Corn dogs are awesome. Had them before at an American thing & was walking to one of the girls going round with them, they imported the hot dog & the batter mix & even the canola oil they were fried in so they'd be authentic

• Advertisement
Advertisement