Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Walker TV with Saorview & Satellite Tuners

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 SALEENS

Hi Ràddo, I looked at this tv too as a 32". I'm looking to wall mount in a bedroom but I want to avoid the need for a satellite box there too. The built in satellite and digital tuner is a big attraction to minimise clutter. This was the only brand I could find that offered this - aside from a dual tuner Samsung which is only available in Nigeria!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

SALEENS wrote: »
    This was the only brand I could find that offered this - aside from a dual tuner Samsung which is only available in Nigeria!

A list of Saorview/satellite combi TVs can be seen here - http://www.saorview.ie/product/saorview-combi-options/

In addition to the Walker range Powercity also have a few combi TVs from LG and a Cello 22", 32". Also a number of TVs in the 40" and larger range

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭zg3409

Just be aware the satellite side is not Freesat, which means manual tuning, no 7 day guide, the need to retune when channels move etc.

They probably have the same EPG, but just now and next for the satellite channels. They are basically a combo box mounted inside the TV.

Also worth noting is most of those TVs are on the cheaper end so lower quality screens. You do get what you pay for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

zg3409 wrote: »
    Just be aware the satellite side is not Freesat, which means manual tuning, no 7 day guide, the need to retune when channels move etc.

They probably have the same EPG, but just now and next for the satellite channels. They are basically a combo box mounted inside the TV.

Also worth noting is most of those TVs are on the cheaper end so lower quality screens. You do get what you pay for.

The better quality Combi TVs designed for the UK market, have the official Freesat 7 day EPG in them aswell as Freeview HD, which would make them compatible with Saorview also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

galtee boy wrote: »
    The better quality Combi TVs designed for the UK market, have the official Freesat 7 day EPG in them aswell as Freeview HD, which would make them compatible with Saorview also.

I don't know about other makes but Samsung Freesat TV's make it very awkward to switch from FreeSat to FTA to Aerial. My Sammy needs up to 6 button presses to change between them.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 johnos40

I bought the 32in 4 in 1 (dvd, sat, saorview, tv) for my mobile home. So far so good. Sat guide is now/next only. It's easy enough to move from saorview to sat using the colour buttons whlie in epg mode.

HD picture is good enough for what I want.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I find them frustratingly slow to tune in satellite channels, along with tuning in lots of data streams, etc. Though I guess it's something you won't be doing often.

Also, the Satellite and Terrestrial channels are seperate, same as with the Walker/Nordmende/Vestel combi boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

New Panasonic TVs now out, that have TWIN tuners for both Freeview HD and Freesat HD, allowing recording of one channel via external drive, while watching another channel. Also,fantastic looking smart tv hub on them also, review on June's What Satellite Mag, also Samsung have twin tuners models out also, I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Neffa2

I don't know about other makes but Samsung Freesat TV's make it very awkward to switch from FreeSat to FTA to Aerial. My Sammy needs up to 6 button presses to change between them.:(

I have a combo Panasonic, and it is very simple. Press tv button on remote and it switches from freesat to saorview in one press. Only shame is it does not have twin tuners, it has single Sat and Single DTT - I see the new 2013 models do have them. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭loopymum

I have the Finlux 32" from Harvey Normans and I think I read somewhere that they are the same as Walkers, just different badge.

It's grand and handy but it would be so much better so if you didn't need to switch but it's simple enough.

You press one of the mybuttons and choose whether you want cable, antenna or sat and press ok, you do need to press exit to get that menu off the screen or wait 60 seconds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

That Finlux is now €278.00 in HN. Is that a genuine reduction?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭preytec

i bought one. it's good. i have the internet hooked up and you can do youtube facebook and a few more things.
    the problem is the saorview doesn't mix with the freesat. also you don't get the full internet, nor can you install apps to get other services besides the ones walker provides. i would also like a caddy holder on the back for the hard drive.
    the biggest problem i can see with them is that you can only record what you watch (only one sat connection)

would i buy it again?
    YES i would. the screen is great, it's cheap and big. the media player works great. plus the remote is nice and strong and feels good.

like anything there are places that walker could improve on,(wifi, hard drive bay, faster processor, dual lmb, bluetooth, os, keyboard) but for the money it's a very good tv.

i have a 46 samsung €1200 in the apartment and i can't do half the stuff i can on the walker €365 (on sale)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Briany3

No web browser with the Internet. Everything else great.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭mcg1987

preytec wrote: »
    i bought one. it's good. i have the internet hooked up and you can do youtube facebook and a few more things.
    the problem is the saorview doesn't mix with the freesat. also you don't get the full internet, nor can you install apps to get other services besides the ones walker provides. i would also like a caddy holder on the back for the hard drive.

would i buy it again?
    YES i would. the screen is great, it's cheap and big. the media player works great. plus the remote is nice and strong and feels good.

Sorry probably a stupid question but which tv did you buy? i see people talking about a few different ones on this thread just? I see nothing in the description about internet on tv so how did you get this to work? would be handy having a tv like this that I could use for say facebook etc if i had keyboard/mouse combo thingy too !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 nolnah

Walker 32"TV with Saorview & Satellite Tuner

Question can anyone tell me if the software on this TV can be upgraded.
    IE like the 3.8 software for the Walker combi receiver for Freesat.

nolnah wrote: »
    Walker 32"TV with Saorview & Satellite Tuner

Question can anyone tell me if the software on this TV can be upgraded.
    IE like the 3.8 software for the Walker combi receiver for Freesat.

I don't think Walker themselves have released any other software versions for this TV. It would be very dangerous to try software meant for other boxe/models as it could easily brick your box.

The only thing for that unit on their site is a channel list:

http://www.walker.ie/pages/downloadManuals2.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 nolnah

zg3409 wrote: »
    I don't think Walker themselves have released any other software versions for this TV. It would be very dangerous to try software meant for other boxe/models as it could easily brick your box.

The only thing for that unit on their site is a channel list:

http://www.walker.ie/pages/downloadManuals2.php
    Thanks for the advice, I see from menu on TV it is a totaly different setup from the combi box.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭share_bear

galtee boy wrote: »
    New Panasonic TVs now out, that have TWIN tuners for both Freeview HD and Freesat HD, allowing recording of one channel via external drive, while watching another channel. Also,fantastic looking smart tv hub on them also, review on June's What Satellite Mag, also Samsung have twin tuners models out also, I believe.

HI, which model number is this exactly please? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I have just bought a 28 inch TV like this, with DVD player in the side.....for a mobile home. It's to replace a smaller Cello one. We never used the integrated sat bit as the guy doing the installation said it was rubbish....so we use a freesat box which is great. If anyone is thinking of getting Cello, warning is that the sound is awful....that's why we're changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭tony melia

Have a walker 40in tv with satellite tuner about 4/5 yrs old mounted on wall and cant get model number it,s wp something with 2 usb,s and 4 hdmi connections ,problem satellite channels working and had saorview channels on outdoor aerial ,but not working anymore even changed aerial still not working .,have tried digital aerial tuner and analogue /digital still not getting signal from aerial ,i know there is no problem with aerial because i tried it on another tele and it,s working fine ,Any ideas please ?????:confused:

• Advertisement

Could you try a factory reset. You would probably need to retune the satellite channels too then.

The TV may be faulty, they often blow tuners due to nearby lightning, but you would need a strong TV signal to be sure. Sometimes if the signal is weak one TV will be Ok, while another on the exact same connection will fail to find channels.

At a guess the tuner may be blown from lightning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭tadgh

Will these Walker TVs tune in Freeview channels in border areas?

tadgh wrote: »
    Will these Walker TVs tune in Freeview channels in border areas?

Typically the point of having a satellite tuner is to get the UK stations from a dish. You typically get far more channels.

Assuming you have good reception from up north, you may get the UK channels. Typically they are shoved into the 800's if you select Ireland and little or no TV guide. You may not get freeview HD channels. This thread is very old so I would recommend you link to a specific model of TV currently available as they may have changed over time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭tadgh

Thanks
    Was specifically wondering about the Walker 32" HD Smart TV | WPS32SM287
    Currently selling online by Euronics for €269.
    Have a working UK aerial, but no dish at present.

Advertisement