Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

changing to sky from upc

• 21-01-2015 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

thinking of changing to sky from upc for tv and tinternet
    any cons to watch out for
    main thing for me is its only a 12 month contract
    and upc in 18.

?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

derekc1010 wrote: »
    and upc in 18.

?

If your with UPC already you can get a 12 month contract. I have phone and bb and rang the loyalty team to get switched to the new 240mb bb and unlimited calls package. They offered me the same deal as new customers get but on a 12 month contract. I double checked with him that it was a 12 month one just in case they try any funny business next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

derekc1010 wrote: »
    and upc in 18.

?

Do you need high speed broadband?

Sky has a much better tv package although pricey if you want multi room. Sky €15 UPC €5 iirc.

UPC have by far the better broadband SKY is usually around 8Mb/s UPC are currently offering a cheaper package for phone and broadband.

I'm with SKY and considering moving to UPC for phone and broadband as UPC is cheaper with unlimited calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 derekc1010

thanks guys
    dont actually need a phone
    would probably not even bother to plug it in .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Sky's TV is the best imo. The UPC interface can be shockingly slow and messy. I've found Sky to be the best and hassle free.

I have UPC for phone and internet and use Sky for TV, although kinda contemplating getting rid of a TV subscription entirely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Infoanon

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Do you need high speed broadband?

Sky has a much better tv package although pricey if you want multi room. Sky €15 UPC €5 iirc.

UPC have by far the better broadband SKY is usually around 8Mb/s UPC are currently offering a cheaper package for phone and broadband.

I'm with SKY and considering moving to UPC for phone and broadband as UPC is cheaper with unlimited calls.

UPC multiroom is now 11.50 as far as I can work out from the new tariffs.Sky tv package is a lot stronger than UPCs and the hardware a lot more stable and user friendly.

• Advertisement

Infoanon wrote: »
    UPC multiroom is now 11.50 as far as I can work out from the new tariffs.Sky tv package is a lot stronger than UPCs and the hardware a lot more stable and user friendly.

No doubting SKY has the better tv package. I don't know for sure what multi room is with UPC but it was €5 per point when I was with them although that was a least 3 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Infoanon

No doubting SKY has the better tv package. I don't know for sure what multi room is with UPC but it was €5 per point when I was with them although that was a least 3 years ago.

€ 11 on their website - it has gone up considerably in the last 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dooleykk

I had Sky for TV and UPC for Broadband. UPC's Broadband is by far the best that's out there at the moment. But Sky is definitely the best TV provider. I left Sky as I viewed Broadband to be more important. I'm with UPC on a Horizon box, it receives a bit of criticism and its interface isn't as user friendly as Sky's. But it works, works fine, has more HD channels for free, it's multi-room is cheaper so I'm happy enough with it. And it's saving me quite a bit.

I guess it's down to each individual's taste and preference and what's most important to the individual (i.e. saving money, TV or broadband as a priority etc.), but while Sky can offer more TV-wise, there's not a huge difference apart from the ease of use and navigation that comes with Sky. I wouldn't be scared about changing.

dooleykk wrote: »
    , there's not a huge difference apart from the ease of use and navigation that comes with Sky. I wouldn't be scared about changing.

They're poles apart.

They're poles apart.

I'm in no way affiliated to UPC, in fact have been a Sky customer for years. But I'd love to know how you think they are poles apart. Interface and menu usage aside please explain. I ask because I think your argument (if you indeed have a valid argument) is misleading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,539 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I'm in no way affiliated to UPC, in fact have been a Sky customer for years. But I'd love to know how you think they are poles apart. Interface and menu usage aside please explain. I ask because I think your argument (if you indeed have a valid argument) is misleading.

I'm a Sky TV customer and UPC broadband user so I get the best of both worlds.
    Would never switch to UPC because there interface and menu usage is awful.
    You are dismissing a major difference as minor when it's not.

The Sky box just works better and is more user friendly.
    Also I feel the picture quality is better. Functions like Series link work better and I have seen complaints here that it's not fully reliable on UPC.

Sky's On Demand service that is free is very good and I think it offers more box sets than UPC can.

murpho999 wrote: »

Also I feel the picture quality is better. Functions like Series link work better and I have seen complaints here that it's not fully reliable on UPC.

Sky's On Demand service that is free is very good and I think it offers more box sets than UPC can.

I was in the same boat as yours so have on-hand experience with both Sky and UPC. To say their interface and menu usage is awful is way over the top. Honest answer is that Sky are without a doubt better for TV. Their menu usage and interface are far more user friendly, and more dependable, than UPC's are. But that doesn't mean that UPC's TV option doesn't work. Thousands and thousands of people use UPC for TV, through their own choice, and have no issues with it. A forum like boards will no doubt bring more negative than positive comment about utility services, it's just the nature of the forum.

Re Sky's on demand. Yes it's free. But Box sets aren't. You need to be a HD subscriber to access box sets. However, it is better than UPC's. Let's see what MyPrime brings to UPC, it certainly has to be an improvement on what's there at the moment.

In short, Sky is better for TV, but UPC still works. If you're looking to save money and know how to use a remote control, I can't argue against UPC.

You're going around in circles with your attempts of trying to make something that isn't equal appear so.
    In short, Sky is better for TV,

Your words end of arguement.

A lot of people with UPC put up with their basic tv interface for the simple fact that UPC broadband is in a completely different league to anything else offered.

I think the comments made are all reasonable but both providers have their draw backs.

You're going around in circles with your attempts of trying to make something that isn't equal appear so.

Your words end of arguement.

A lot of people with UPC put up with their basic tv interface for the simple fact that UPC broadband is in a completely different league to anything else offered.

I think the comments made are all reasonable but both providers have their draw backs.

Nope. I'm not trying to make something equal. The original op asked for opinions. I am giving mine.

I admit Sky is better for TV. I know. I came from Sky. One is better than the other, no doubt about it. But UPC TV works for me. It works fine for what I need. It is perfectly functional, has as much basic content than Sky (more HD channels for free, if that tickles one's fancy) and if Broadband is a must you'll save money by going with one provider only. If I had endless amounts of cash I'd have the full Sky package and UPC Broadband but I had to cut costs and still have a decent TV package and an excellent broadband package.

At the end of the day it's down to each individual's choice. Mine works for me.

Nope. I'm not trying to make something equal. The original op asked for opinions. I am giving mine.

Black!!

Apparently yours is the only one that counts aswell. :rolleyes:

OP you'll survive whichever you choose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭goose06

One advantage UPC has is you are not spending an hour browsing through the EPG to see what's on different channels.
    UPC's is in a decent order without all those channels on Sky that hardly anyone watches.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 derekc1010

Thanks guys for all the input and outputs
    went with up in the end ,sky weren't sure if they could supply Internet to us ? And it would take a month
    dunno why but there ye go .
    :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

murpho999 wrote: »

In the same position and agree totally with your comments. Very pleased since moving to Sky for TV and now have UPC 240mb broadband. Best of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Trilla90

we're currently with UPC for all 3, thinking of switching the tv to Sky (possibly all 3). Finding the whole process very confusing with all the different Sky offers, whether to call or order online, or through uswitch and so on.

Basically we want (whether with UPC or Sky)

- unlimited broadband 100mb or over
    - Sky Sports HD 1,2,3,4,5 + news
    - multiroom in two other rooms (apart from living room)
    - HD channels (RTE, BBC, SKY1 ETC.)

not too worried about the phone. Anyone with a good deal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Sky Ireland: Rebecca T

Hi Trilla90,

Thank you for your post about Sky.

Did you know that we are now live on Boards.ie? The Sky Ireland Talk To site is at this link and we would be more than happy to assist you.

If you wish to post your question or query on our site, we will endeavour to resolve this issue for you.

Thanks,
    Rebecca

Trilla90 wrote: »
    we're currently with UPC for all 3, thinking of switching the tv to Sky (possibly all 3). Finding the whole process very confusing with all the different Sky offers, whether to call or order online, or through uswitch and so on.

Basically we want (whether with UPC or Sky)

- unlimited broadband 100mb or over
    - Sky Sports HD 1,2,3,4,5 + news
    - multiroom in two other rooms (apart from living room)
    - HD channels (RTE, BBC, SKY1 ETC.)

not too worried about the phone. Anyone with a good deal?

• Advertisement
Advertisement