Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Normal?? EPG does not update until channel selected on Amiko Mini Combo STB

• 25-01-2015 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I just bought and installed an Amiko Mini Combo HD STB. It's a nice tidy box, but I have an annoying issue.

The EPG on satellite, which is now and next, is blank until I select a particular channel. Then this channel and maybe one or two others populates. Also, when I haven't selected a channel for a while the EPG data is out of date. Is this normal? If so, EPG on Free To Air is basically useless. What's the point of having an EPG, if you have to select the channel anyway the view it!

I used to use a Humax HDR box, with Freesat. Which has a seamless EPG. Saorview was through the LG TV. It was a bit cumbersome switching between the two, but better than the Free To Air EPG.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Apogee

Yes, this is normal for channels on the Astra 28E satellites. Only the now and next EPG data for channels shared on the same frequency/transponder will load at any one time.

For channels on satellites other than 28E, your receiver would show a full 7 day EPG.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, what you're experiencing is normal, unfortunately.

28E only carries EPG data for Sky or Freesat boxes (some Linux boxes can be made to make use of the data too), not standard EPG data to suit standalone boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Drexl

Apogee wrote: »
    Yes, this is normal for channels on the Astra 28E satellites. Only the now and next EPG data for channels shared on the same frequency/transponder will load at any one time.

For channels on satellites other than 28E, your receiver would show a full 7 day EPG.
    byte wrote: »
    Yeah, what you're experiencing is normal, unfortunately.

28E only carries EPG data for Sky or Freesat boxes (some Linux boxes can be made to make use of the data too), not standard EPG data to suit standalone boxes.

Thanks for replies Apogee and byte. That's a real bummer. This box is actually for my parents, who live near the border. Thay can get Freeview, do you know is the EPG on Freeview the same as Saorview, i.e. all EPG data for all channels at once, and continually updated?

Another option, is there another satellite other than Astra 28E, that you can receive the standard UK channels on, BBC, UTV, etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Apogee

Drexl wrote: »
    T This box is actually for my parents, who live near the border. Thay can get Freeview, do you know is the EPG on Freeview the same as Saorview, i.e. all EPG data for all channels at once, and continually updated?

Another option, is there another satellite other than Astra 28E, that you can receive the standard UK channels on, BBC, UTV, etc..

If you can receive Freeview, in addition to Saorview, then that is the best way forward. The Freeview EPG is a full 7-day EPG and uses the same format as the Saorview EPG. You should also be able to combine the Freeview EPG with the Saorview EPG, so that you will see listings for Saorview and Freeview channels on the one grid.

There are no other practical methods for receiving the UK channel on satellite other than 28E.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Drexl

Apogee wrote: »
    If you can receive Freeview, in addition to Saorview, then that is the best way forward. The Freeview EPG is a full 7-day EPG and uses the same format as the Saorview EPG. You should also be able to combine the Freeview EPG with the Saorview EPG, so that you will see listings for Saorview and Freeview channels on the one grid.

There are no other practical methods for receiving the UK channel on satellite other than 28E.

Thanks Apogee, I'll probably go that way. Cheers for info....

• Advertisement
Advertisement