Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which laptop to buy/ vista-xp???

Options
  • 17-11-2007 12:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Heya, im getting a new laptop for christmas, and cant decide which one would be the best one to get. Im kinda thinking of the hp dv6500, or the apple mac. Was wondering aswell if I should try and get one with xp and not vista, because i would be using it for college work, which would mean i would have to use the college computes that run xp. And iv head a lot of people are having troubles getting there files that they saved on there vista laptops onto the college computers!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,388 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Well I can't comment on the Vista/XP thing, if you need to use it in college and you can't have vista, you might want to get XP (i'm lucky, vista works grand in my college)

On the laptop issue, i'd avoid apples, purely because they are overpriced for what you get. When I bought my laptop at end of summer, i priced an apple, and it was waaayyy more expensive than similar priced laptops from almost all other angles.

I'd also avoid shopping in store if possible, generally there are better deals online than in the shops (although you might be lucky and get some great offer coming up to Christmas)

If you read back over threads, the same laptop seems to be recommended all the time, I'm gonna do the same, have a look at Dell's Vostro range (they are in the small business section - you do NOT need to be a business to buy one though - they are a great laptop (i have the 1500 myself) and are very competitively priced...

I'm sure if you post exactly what you need the laptop for someone here will be able to price the best available deal (be it Dell, or otherwise) for you...

Happy hunting!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Are the files office files (e.g. word, excel and the like)? If they are, I'm willing to bet that the people are using office 2007. If it is then it's not a problem with vista, it's a problem with office 2007. There is a way around it though, when saving the files, save them as "97/2003 compatible file" or something like that.

I'd also stay away from apple because of the price. What are you planning on doing with the laptop? What is your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

laura11811 wrote: »
    Heya, im getting a new laptop for christmas, and cant decide which one would be the best one to get. Im kinda thinking of the hp dv6500, or the apple mac. Was wondering aswell if I should try and get one with xp and not vista, because i would be using it for college work, which would mean i would have to use the college computes that run xp. And iv head a lot of people are having troubles getting there files that they saved on there vista laptops onto the college computers!!!!!!

You need to clarify what you are talking about when you say Vista vs. XP. Are you talking about Windows or are you talking about Office? If the college is using Windows XP, chances are, it is also using Office XP or Office 2003.

If you want to save yourself some money, don't buy Microsoft Office, download Open Office (it's free). It will save/open Microsoft Office files.

As for laptops, a number of people here, myself included, would not recommend HP. Apple are generally cool machines, but not for the budget conscious.

Advertisement