Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cooling mats for laptops?

Options
  • 14-11-2007 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Looking into getting a cooling map for a laptop. Are they the best option. In work i often could have a laptop on my lap for 8 hours straight (well almost) and i was looking into a cooler mat like this one:

http://search.ebay.ie/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=laptop+cooling+mat

they say they can be used for more than 5 hours but how long more is the question. Has anyone used them? Will they be suitable for what i need them for. As i said before if anyone has a better option or any suggestions i would greatly appreciate them.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Hi Dapos,

I just got one of those new Vostro 17" laptops from Dell which gives out some amount of heat so what I do is use my laptop bag (Sachel type) has a laptop mat. Its works quite well I find plus it keeps all my laptop gear close to me incase it goes walkies

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Hi Dapos,

I just got one of those new Vostro 17" laptops from Dell which gives out some amount of heat so what I do is use my laptop bag (Sachel type) has a laptop mat. Its works quite well I find plus it keeps all my laptop gear close to me incase it goes walkies

Have you got a link? I wouldn't mind getting one for my 17" inspiron.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

I have one of those ebay jobbies, and it's worth mentioning that it's just a pad with three fans in it, it only blows air, and has no heat exchanger or cooler in it. It sucks air away fro mthe bottom of the laptop and out the back of the pad, 30cf/m.
    It's loud enough, but as I need to go out into the cold shed just to play Company of Heroes on the laptop without it, it was worth the auditory pollution.
    Unless you're really stressing the machine though, being on for eight hours shouldn't be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Used to have one for my old laptop, which was a bastard for overheating when playing games for lengthy periods (Go7400), really helped, dropping temps only a few degrees but at high temps thats vital. Don't actually need one for my 1500 8600gt, have gaming for many hours on that with no problems whatsoever.

Make sure it's a right size, using wrong size coolers can actually drive temperatures up, so be careful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement