Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctorate in pharmacy

Options
  • 06-10-2014 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi, has anyone done or considered doing a doctorate in pharmacy? If yes, what was duration and costs? thanks guys :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭BlutendeRabe

egg head wrote: »
    Hi, has anyone done or considered doing a doctorate in pharmacy? If yes, what was duration and costs? thanks guys :)

The main route for becoming a Pharmacist is spending 4 years in either UCC, RCSI or TCD doing a B.Sc (Pharm). Once you've earned that you do your internship and you obtain an M.Pharm.

There's currently a switchover to an integrated 5 year course rather than the current 4 + 1. Its starts in 2015 in TCD afaik.

In terms of fees you'd need to consult here: https://www.tcd.ie/academicregistry/fees-payments/course-fees/

Im guessing your American?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 egg head

hi there,
    my son is doing the 5 year pharmacy course, and was wondering what other courses he could do when he completes the course. he's a great forward planner. We're Irish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭BlutendeRabe

egg head wrote: »
    We're Irish!

Lol apologies there. The American qualification is doctorate in Pharmacy (or D.Pharm) while in Ireland & most of Europe its an M.Pharm.
    my son is doing the 5 year pharmacy course, and was wondering what other courses he could do when he completes the course. he's a great forward planner.

Every year of the course is tough, however if you survive the first two you'll probably stick at it. Its one of the more demanding courses in college along with Medicine & Dentistry and its critical that you keep on top of things.

Most people who qualify wind up doing community with minorities going into the industry, R&D (requires a PhD) or Hospital (like me or rather trying to get into it). Most recent graduates will locum for a while before finding more permanent positions.
    Once the M.Pharm is done, there are a couple of Master courses available (heres an example https://pharmacy.tcd.ie/postgraduate/) or he could do a PhD once he qualifies. Most Mhasters and the PhD require a final degree mark of at least 2.1 (ie 60% or greater).
    Its possible to switch to Medicine after 1st or 2nd year (not sure of the specific mechanism. People who I know did this switched to another college and did Medicine there starting from Pre-Med year).

I have to emphasize that 5 years is a long time. You are guaranteed a job at the end (pay has gone down now - its nowhere near the good ol' days of the Celtic Tiger but you're in a much better position compared to other graduates. Having said that there could be an oversupply. Not sure yet) and there are a fairly large number of areas you can go into. I'd just focus on getting through 1st & 2nd year.

This thread here would give him a more detailed overview. However probably would scare him off:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056364984

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Talking about costs and duration of doing a P.hD in Pharmacy is impossible. It will differ for each P.hD.

It's a minimum of 3 years with some going on to 5 or 6 years depending on how complex the project is and how many problems he runs in to.

Advertisement