Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sportive Ethics

Options
  • 24-05-2014 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

So for those of us who do a fair bit of cycling but don't race, it's sportive season. This time of year throws up a number ethical questions, see below.

1. You are doing a hilly sportive with you club or a group of friends. One or more of the group is struggling. Should you/the group wait at the top of the hills for them? Should you wait at the food stops, or is it every man for himself (Or woman) and see you at the finish line? Only the strong survive?

2. You get in a nice big fast (but not too fast) group that is sucking you along. Maybe over 100km in. You are feeling a bit wrecked though. Should you take a turn at the front or is it ok just to sit in the group?

3. You meet a 'sportive friend' who you don't know from Adam (or Eve) but you get chatting to and ride alongside for a few km - possibly in a group. A climb comes and sportive friend can't hack it. Do you wave good bye and good luck, adjust your pace to his/hers or turn (a la Armstrong on Aple d'Huez in 2001), stare him in the eyes and shout 'eat my dust sucka'? (or some such).

4. Some rider is p*ssing you off by riding dangerously. Do you tell him/her to cop on, try to drop him/her/ stick mini pump into wheel (yes I'm messing). Alternatively, people are just riding badly, letting gaps develop so that groups are not staying together. Should you say anything?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

1. You are doing a hilly sportive with you club or a group of friends. One or more of the group is struggling. Should you/the group wait at the top of the hills for them? Should you wait at the food stops, or is it every man for himself (Or woman) and see you at the finish line? Only the strong survive?

I'd agree on it with my friend(s) before the event. Most likely we'll wait at the top of hills and at food stops for them, yes.
    2. You get in a nice big fast (but not too fast) group that is sucking you along. Maybe over 100km in. You are feeling a bit wrecked though. Should you take a turn at the front or is it ok just to sit in the group?

I'd definitely just sit in, but maybe I'm a bastard :eek:
    3. You meet a 'sportive friend' who you don't know from Adam (or Eve) but you get chatting to and ride alongside for a few km - possibly in a group. A climb comes and sportive friend can't hack it. Do you wave good bye and good luck, adjust your pace to his/hers or turn (a la Armstrong on Aple d'Huez in 2001), stare him in the eyes and shout 'eat my dust sucka'? (or some such).

Drop 'em
    4. Some rider is p*ssing you off by riding dangerously. Do you tell him/her to cop on, try to drop him/her/ stick mini pump into wheel (yes I'm messing). Alternatively, people are just riding badly, letting gaps develop so that groups are not staying together. Should you say anything?

They are an inevitability at sportives, there's always a mix of experience and interest. Unless they're exceptionally dangerous, I'd just ride away from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Alternatively, one of your friends/club decides to go on an all day solo 'attack', dropping everyone else. Should you be annoyed?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

LennoxR wrote: »
    Alternatively, one of your friends/club decides to go on an all day solo 'attack', dropping everyone else. Should you be annoyed?

There is no should, only how you feel about it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

LennoxR wrote: »

Surely they've paid their fee and can do whatever they want with their day? If you can, stay with him, if not train harder for next time. I really really appreciate when my mates wait for me when I'm struggling, one good friend in particular comes to mind but I would never ever be annoyed if he wanted to sprint off and push himself. If you constantly expect your friends to do that all your doing is holding them back and being selfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Scrappy600 wrote: »
    Surely they've paid their fee and can do whatever they want with their day? If you can, stay with him, if not train harder for next time. I really really appreciate when my mates wait for me when I'm struggling, one good friend in particular comes to mind but I would never ever be annoyed if he wanted to sprint off and push himself. If you constantly expect your friends to do that all your doing is holding them back and being selfish.

It doesn't annoy me really but some people seem to expect it. I'm of the view that within reason you should ride your own sportive especially if its hilly. That said if someone in your group is really struggling I think you should try to look after them and make sure they're ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Sportives are pretend races for pretend racers. Push for the front and find your level. This may be with or without your mates. If youre too slow, you'll meet someone of your pace. If you are with a group thats too slow, drop them. The best Sportives I've done were ones where I lost the club buddys and met other people instead. As for helping slow riders, mostly would only do this if there was no one equally slow as them around to keep them company

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I would find it humiliating if others waited for me. The other problem with waiting is that the slower rider is put under more pressure and never gets a break as the rest move on again when he/she catches up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I would find it humiliating if others waited for me. The other problem with waiting is that the slower rider is put under more pressure and never gets a break as the rest move on again when he/she catches up.

I agree with WA. Myself and my sportive buddies have agreed that while we train together and wait as required, on the day of the sportive it's a "go at the pace you're comfortable with". We'll all meet up at the finish, drive home and have a beer together.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

What about the guys who try to overtake you on a hill, fail, and stay on your right hand side for a spell. Then you come up behind someone else on the left, but you cant overtake cos loola is still outside you. Drives me cracked.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,015 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

What about doping?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Lumen wrote: »
    What about doping?

i think you mean gels :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Lumen wrote: »
    What about doping?

Well how else am I going to get around the Swings and Roundabouts family cycle in September :pac:

It's not my fault, the season is too long/hard..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I'd say....

1 - wait.....it's a day out and about enjoying the cycling and the company.

2- at least try, but if wrecked I'd just hang off the back and try and stay out of the way.

3 - sportive friend should have the manners to wish you luck and send you on your way

4 - think I'd just slow down and get away from anyone dangerous that way. Speeding up only encourages them and then your booting along with some muppet too close for comfort.

Advertisement