Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Russia's Osama Bin Laden" is dead

• 21-03-2014 1:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭

Unusual that there hasn't been a thread on this considering he died two or three days ago....really an affirmation of his work, isn't it?

Anyway, Dokku Umarov, the infamous Chechen terrorist, has been "martyred" according to the Kavkaz Centre (the official website of Chechen jihadis). Umarov was the "Emir" of the prospective "Caucasian Emirate" (that is, an extremist warlord). Umarov was involved in both Chechen wars since 1994. During that time, he garnered such infamy that he came to be known as "Russia's Osama Bin Laden".

Umarov claimed responsibility for numerous terrorist attacks in Russia including the Domodedovo attacks and the attacks on the Moscow Metro. He also threatened to bomb the Sochi winter olympics but that didn't succeed.

A man named Ali Abu-Muhammad has already been chosen to succeed him as Emir.

In relation to his death, the Kavkaz Centre merely stated that he had achieved "martyrdom". More details will likely follow:

(Be warned that the Kavkaz Centre is an extremist website. Click into at your own risk)
    http://www.kavkazcenter.com/eng/content/2014/03/18/19017.shtml

(Or, click on the much more moderate BBC link. Your choice.)
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26634403

I won't count myself among his mourners.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Eggy Baby! wrote: »

I won't count myself among his mourners.

+1

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Umarov, after Saidullayev, was a disaster for the Chechnyan resistance in the end, while it might have appealed at the time to elect a fighter as leader, the proclamation of the Emirate split the politicians from the fighters and ruined whatever credibility was left. When was the last time anyone ever heard of Zakayev?

It's a sad situation when Kadyrov is the better choice for the people

Advertisement