Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC ignores changes to MSCONFIG

• 02-10-2008 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi - Irritating problem! I tried to improve operating speed by removing some startup programs via msconfig but they were ALL there when I re-booted the system! The PC seems to be ignoring my changes to msconfig! Three of the items related to sophisticated Audio software I never use and another related to Adobe Acrobat - which I use ONLY if I REALLY have to! How do I get rid of them now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 julesdarcy

It is strange that all of them are coming back. I would suggest trying to remove another startup program that you know is not necessary just to see if that stays removed.

You could also uninstall the audio program which should ensure that program doesn't start again.

You could also try removing the associated services from the Services tab. To find out what each service does, Google the name of it and that should tell you what program it is associated with.

By not removing the service, maybe that is why you see them reappearing.

Also, check what is in Start-All Programs-StartUp and delete whatever you don't want starting from there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭karasu

look for small application called Hijack! This

It's used to anailse system registry to see if there is any mailicioous software and it will show you wich programs are starting when you boot you computer.

Just tick them, click "fix checked" and restart your computer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Browndoff

Thanks for the suggestions
    Now it's even more weird! A window pops up at Startup saying MSConfig is now running in 'diagnostic/selective mode' and I must reset it to 'Normal' mode for all my programs to run properly! So, of course, I reset it and then ZoneAlarm firewall warns me that some element of Nero is being set to run at startup - so I 'deny' that permission and check that msconfig is still reset to 'normal' before restarting. to my annoyance, the warning window again says it's "running in 'diagnostic/selective mode'" etc. etc.
    Only Adobe Reader 'accepted' being dropped from the startup - all the others are still there and Nero still keeps trying to get 'back in'!
    As for the 'Services' route, I stumbled onto that myself but found it too confusing and 'scary' 'cos I didn't know which services were used by 'friend' or 'foe'.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

do it again and don't reset o normal mode as you want it in selective mode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

In some programs you may have to go into their settings and turn off the option for run on startup. I have found before that some programs will override msconfig unless you do this. Also as somebody else mentioned check the startup folder!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

rasper wrote: »
    do it again and don't reset to normal mode as you want it in selective mode

^This.

Confused me the first few times I used MSCONFIG, as it did other users I imagine.

Advertisement