Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trek vs Merida.

Options
  • 08-05-2014 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭

I bought a Trek 1.2 a few months back, my brother bought a Merida last week. Spec-wise they're supposed to be very similar, the only difference being that mine has Shimano Sora gears and his Merida has what ever the next step up from that is.

The Merida was listed around €1300 and the Trek at €920 but we each ended up spending €1000 including accesories. He got about €400 off the bike, I only got about €100 off mine. I went back today and told the man he probably wanted to give me a free Jersey to make up for it so he eventually gave in but explaind there's a lot more room to negotiate on a Merida than a Trek.

I'm not sure whether thats the case or my brother is just a lot better at bargaining than me. Anyways, my question is, am I better off with a Trek than a Merida or are they pretty much the same?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

Trade it straight away.No just get out on the road and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭cycleoin86

codie wrote: »
    Trade it straight away.No just get out on the road and enjoy.

Totally agree, stop worrying about the differences and get out and ride and enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Trek are generally a bit more expensive but the difference between bike brands of the same level is largely down to personal preference in terms of aesthetics and geometry.

Just get out and enjoy the bike, you might find that you're addicted to riding treks for life or you might find you gravitate to other styles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Your obviously not too bad at bargaining if you managed to blag a free jersey a few months after buying the bike and by complaining about what your brother bought compared to you. It'd be a bit like me going into Dunnes stores and buying apples for €1 and then going back 2 weeks later to complain that my brother bought oranges in tesco for 80c!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I was in the shop anyway getting the bike checked over, the little computer had stopped working. I figured I might as well give it a go, I needed a Jersey but the wife wouldn't be happy if I spent more money on bike or running stuff. I tried getting a free pair of shorts too but that didn't work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Known fact the merida gives you at least another 20% above those on treks, I read in fact it could be 25% and its has proved to be true, yet to be beaten by anyone on a trek in my 25 years of cycling, he will hand you your ass every day you go out.
    I'd trade in for a merida or get a hitman on your brother and take his bike. Your destined to be a loser.
    Make sure he didn't get Merida shorts and jerysey, thats another 15%.
    Enjoy the cycle, 10% bike, 90% man ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

yop wrote: »
    Known fact the merida gives you at least another 20% above those on treks, I read in fact it could be 25% and its has proved to be true, yet to be beaten by anyone on a trek in my 25 years of cycling, he will hand you your ass every day you go out.
    I'd trade in for a merida or get a hitman on your brother and take his bike. Your destined to be a loser.
    Make sure he didn't get Merida shorts and jerysey, thats another 15%.
    Enjoy the cycle, 10% bike, 90% man ;)

That can be offset by getting a SRAM Red Chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

RonanP77 wrote: »
    I needed a Jersey but the wife wouldn't be happy if I spent more money on bike or running stuff.

Recommend keeping bike, and trading wife.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

That can be offset by getting a SRAM Red Chain.

I KNEW that had something to do about it, the mother was always banging on about the "red chain". I thought it was a myth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

wife wouldn't be happy.

time for a new wife!!

you sure the Merida has a Shimano set on it? thought they were all SunRace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Jabel

I bought a Trek 1.2 a few months back, my brother bought a Merida last week. Spec-wise they're supposed to be very similar, the only difference being that mine has Shimano Sora gears and his Merida has what ever the next step up from that is.

The Merida was listed around €1300 and the Trek at €920 but we each ended up spending €1000 including accesories. He got about €400 off the bike, I only got about €100 off mine. I went back today and told the man he probably wanted to give me a free Jersey to make up for it so he eventually gave in but explaind there's a lot more room to negotiate on a Merida than a Trek.

I'm not sure whether thats the case or my brother is just a lot better at bargaining than me. Anyways, my question is, am I better off with a Trek than a Merida or are they pretty much the same?

Your brother has just negoitated a great deal on my new car, top bloke!
    I'll give you a ring in 6 months when I need car seat covers :D

Joking aside, get out on the bike and enjoy!

I was sure it was Shimano and one level above mine, I'll ask him next time I see him.

I think if I don't win this Duathlon on Sunday I'm going to have to get rid of the Trek and buy a Merida like his.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭cycleoin86

I was sure it was Shimano and one level above mine, I'll ask him next time I see him.

I think if I don't win this Duathlon on Sunday I'm going to have to get rid of the Trek and buy a Merida like his.

You probably won't win... The only person who managed to win anything on a Trek had to take loads of drugs and embark on a 15 year career cover up. Take out the seatpost and check for performance enhancing materials tucked away in the frame.

Best of luck in the Duathalon, keep us posted!

I didn't win, I did well enough on the running but very poor on the cycling. I'm going to get rid of the Trek now, it was obviously the bike that was at fault and absolutely nothing to do with my fitness levels or abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Crippens1

I didn't win, I did well enough on the running but very poor on the cycling. I'm going to get rid of the Trek now, it was obviously the bike that was at fault and absolutely nothing to do with my fitness levels or abilities.

Some guy called Sean Kelly said "It's all about the bike" Is this what he meant?

Well my question was answered today. I met up with a group my brother was cycling with purely by accident on today's cycle. I was with them for 4km from Mullagh to Moynalty.

His bike looks a little nicer than mine, his legs look a hell of a lot bigger than mine and it doesn't matter what bike either of us are on, he'll beat me every time. Their pace was about 10km/h faster than mine which was fine until we hit a little hill. I had done 20km at that stage, he had done 62km and I struggled to keep with him.

I decided two things;

1. I'm not doing the 200km cycle with them this year.
    2. I have no intention of ever cycling with him again. He's faster, fitter and stronger than me and he'd make a show of me.

One positive thing from my point of view is that two blokes that started out with them were a few km back the road and couldn't keep up. They're the guys I need to cycle with.

Advertisement