Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What overshoe do you wear in wet weather?

• 03-02-2014 3:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭

and more importantly... would you recommend it to me?
    Got a severe case of soggy feet this morning.:(

Have SPD shoes.
    Advice much appreciated.

J

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

I have a pair of BBB ones. Bought for me as a pressie. They are a tad small so awkward to get over the shoes.
    Also noticed that one is wearing a bit but that is likely me being cackhanded in putting them on.
    This mornings biblical wetness seemed to be held at bay so that can't be bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I'm soft. On wet mornings I wear a car. Or a house. Depends.

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

These ones http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLPXOSH/planet-x-neoprene-overshoes have SPD shoes.

Cheap but they work fine. They don't keep my feet dry but they keep them a lot drier than they would be and cut the wind chill right out. So far I've been very happy with them even in long rainy rides. Don't expect dry feet though, just warmer ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 smiggyontour

I bought a pair of Sealskinz waterproof overshoes but my feet still got wet
    So I put a pair of BBB overshoes on as well over them
    I find decent mudgaurds (raceblades) help a lot keeping my feet dry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

I have a pair of BBB ones. Bought for me as a pressie. They are a tad small so awkward to get over the shoes.
    Also noticed that one is wearing a bit but that is likely me being cackhanded in putting them on.
    This mornings biblical wetness seemed to be held at bay so that can't be bad

Do you put the overshoes on first and pull them down over the shoes, or try to pull them over the shoes on your foot? The former is much easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....Also noticed that one is wearing a bit but that is likely me being cackhanded in putting them on....
    Is the wear not caused by having to unclip and rest foot on ground at lights/junctions? My left one always wears out when the right is still ok.

I've never found any brand good at keeping feet dry on very wet days. I've even put on double overshoes several times lately but the water eventually gets in. It doesn't help that I don't use front mudguards I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Jabel wrote: »
    Advice much appreciated.
    Newspapers into your shoes on arrival. And a pair of spare socks.

On a very wet day, no matter what you do, your feet get wet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,140 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I've been commuting in SPDs for the last couple of years, and none of the overshoes I have tried work very well. There are just too many gaps around the cleat area to keep water out.

Also, overshoes and coversocks get torn up by the grips on the shoes. I almost tipped over last week when a stray fibre from my coversock got caught in the pedal as I unclipped (needed to trim the cleatgarden, clearly).

So my tip is: switch to chunky road cleats like Looks and then get some close-fitting shoe covers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Place duct tape under the insole to block water getting in through the cleats. This made the biggest difference to me.

I also use the BBB overshoes and unless its really heavy my feet stay dry enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

The_Sub wrote: »
    Place duct tape under the insole to block water getting in through the cleats. This made the biggest difference to me.

I also use the BBB overshoes and unless its really heavy my feet stay dry enough.

+1 on this, duct tape over the holes from the inside of the shoe (you'll need to remove the insoles first). While my feet don't stay dry for long there far less water ingress and hence my feet are much warmer.

The other point of water ingres is the top of the overshoe above the ankles. There it's better to let the tights/trousers run on the outside of the overshoe.

• Advertisement

Hmmzis wrote: »
    ... There it's better to let the tights/trousers run on the outside of the overshoe.
    Bit of a stretch for the leg warmers!

On seriously wet/flooded days, for commuting, I've considered throwing on flat pedals and wearing the wellies (with leggings over them). It'll be dark - no one will notice. :o

(Has anyone ever tried cycling boots (SPD or SPD SL)? Do they make any difference for wet feet? I've seen them for sale but the price and possible limitations has put me off.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

endacl wrote: »
    I'm soft. On wet mornings I wear a car. Or a house. Depends.

:o

Me too! I am actually scared of going out in the wet now after a few very near misses. I wont cycle in the wet or at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭Jabel

Cheers all.
    Might try the BBB, even if the feet are not bone dry I'm sure there will be some improvement and will at least be a little warmer. I do have race blades but on a morning like today still got very wet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

(Has anyone ever tried cycling boots (SPD or SPD SL)? Do they make any difference for wet feet? I've seen them for sale but the price and possible limitations has put me off.)

Yes, tried them (Rose something something...). Bit heavy, very warm when it's dry but as wet as anything else when raining. Personally, I prefer regular cycling shoes (SPDs) with woolly socks and tight fitting overshoes. Still the feet get wet after a while but at least they are warm.

Hmmzis wrote: »
    .. but as wet as anything else when raining...
    That ends that then so.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

I'm not one to be put off by rain and I've never felt the need for overshoes. Full mudguards and some quality woolly socks have stood me in good stead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Muckers

Impossible to keep the wet out. I've a pair of Northwave Fahrenheit boots and they leak water during heavy rain

I'm not one to be put off by rain and I've never felt the need for overshoes. Full mudguards and some quality woolly socks have stood me in good stead.
    Wet feet don't really bother me on a short ride or in the summer but when it's very cold and I'm half way into a 150/200km outing, it can be miserable and grim to have freezing, wet, sqeulching feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

craft-siberian-overshoes-12.jpg?w=430&h=430&a=7

These my prefered; dry and warm. Although I'd go for a size up as they're tight to get on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

I use northwave H2O extreme. Size large on size 44 shoes, great fit and seem durable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Agu bike boots.

I have no idea whether they can be found anywhere in Ireland.

Just make sure to get a size large enough to fit over your footwear.

On wet days I have goretex-lined boots on, during a short commute, so rain or puddles not an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,140 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Iwannahurl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I use BBB heavy duty overshoes. I've only been out in one downpour with them but they kept my feet dry and warm during it. I Dont know how they'd be in prolonged rain/wet conditions but I've no complaints so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Agu bike boots.

I have no idea whether they can be found anywhere in Ireland.

Just make sure to get a size large enough to fit over your footwear.

On wet days I have goretex-lined boots on, during a short commute, so rain or puddles not an issue.

I've been trying to source these somewhere at a reasonable price.

Doesn't seem much for people who cycle in regular shoes/runners.

CJC999 wrote: »
    I use BBB heavy duty overshoes. I've only been out in one downpour with them but they kept my feet dry and warm during it. I Dont know how they'd be in prolonged rain/wet conditions but I've no complaints so far.
    The most recent pair I bought were BBB Heavy Duty but I find them disappointing. Feet stay dry for about only about 5kms in heavy/prolonged rain. They are good for warmth on dry cold days though.
    beauf wrote: »
    ...Doesn't seem much for people who cycle in regular shoes/runners.
    :confused: I would have thought you'd have it easier as you don't have the cleat holes in your footwear to allow water to seep in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Most covers seem to be designed for the streamlined shape of a cycling shoe. Regular runners are much wider, I found it nigh impossible to get the one I have over my runners. 10 mins of cursing so I just gave up on them. I used to have a set of gortex light shoes which were slimmer and they worked fine with overshoes I had which were like those bike boots. But the shoes and the overshoes/bike boots wore out (replaced with Gortex runners) and I've not been able to find a cover that goes over easily. Gortex is no help because the water gets in at the ankle, then you're cycling with a puddle in your shoe. Might be a case of HTFU though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Anyone got a recommendation for some light but waterproof overshoes for wet summer days? TBH - let the flaming begin - I also want them so that my expensive bike shoes dont get covered in sh1te from rural roads even on less than very wet days. I was thinking about aero overshoes and it only really makes sense to have them long enough to cover Euro compliant socks.... :)

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Never worn overshoes, that said never arrived home without numb feet before the end of Feb!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Rapha are the best I've used.

Advertisement