Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

52T chainring

Options
  • 24-05-2014 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

I run a compact 50/34 and I want to change to a 52/36.

However, trying to get a 52T chainring is causing a problem due to availability. The 36T chainring is no bother and is in stock.

I can get a 52T deigned for a triple of the same make, the BCD is the same, does anyone know if it will work?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

My guess is that it would, insofar as I recently did the reverse, i.e. replaced a 53t on my triple with a standard 53t. Still have to old triple one which you're welcome to if you want to check the fit.

Outside of BCD, the only compatibility issue that I'm aware of is the ramps, and this means that you wouldn't get as good shifting using a standard double inner ring as a triple middle ring as it lacks the ramps for moving from the granny to the middle. Shouldn't matter on the big ring. Outside of that, the BB axle is longer on the triple to carry the extra ring.

Don't know whether the ramps on a 52/36 big ring would be differently placed from say a 52/39 (if they're even is such a thing). The ring I replaced was marked as 53/42 and all I could get was 53/39 which seems fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

Thanks for the kind offer of the 53T, I have the 52T on order so will try it, my LBS said he would take it back if it doesn't work

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭mirv

The BCD of a triple chainset is usually 130mm or 135mm (for campag/miche), and the BCD on a compact is usually 110mm so they're incompatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

mirv wrote: »
    The BCD of a triple chainset is usually 130mm or 135mm (for campag/miche), and the BCD on a compact is usually 110mm so they're incompatible.

Thanks Mirv, I have checked and the BCD on the Triple 52 is 110 so I am alright there

Advertisement