Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Campsite for Fleadh

Options
  • 06-08-2013 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭

Hey , I might be going to the Fleadh and I've heard about potential trouble with some or part of the campsites being in loyalist areas and there being potential animosity. Is there any truth to this?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,987 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

http://www.derryvisitor.com/Fleadh-Cheoil-na-hireann-Camping.T1210.aspx

One of the campsites is at the City of Derry Rugby Club, which is in the waterside of Derry. To call it loyalist would be pushing things a bit.

You'll be grand, there will be no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

Seanachai wrote: »
    Hey , I might be going to the Fleadh and I've heard about potential trouble with some or part of the campsites being in loyalist areas and there being potential animosity. Is there any truth to this?.

Best to avoid the general campsite at the Fleadh, always trouble there every year, burning tents/caravans. Usually by groups of people who never leave the site and drink trays of beer from the back of vans all w/e. No interest in music. Complete assholes. I'll avoid mentioning the county they tend to be from.
    If you want a campsite, the family one is best if you can get in, or the Rugby Club maybe.

fyi, I think the family one is at Templemore, which is about a 25min walk to the city centre, whereas the rugby club is across the water, and you couldn't walk to the city centre (well it would take maybe 45min or more).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Best to avoid the general campsite at the Fleadh, always trouble there every year, burning tents/caravans. Usually by groups of people who never leave the site and drink trays of beer from the back of vans all w/e. No interest in music. Complete assholes. I'll avoid mentioning the county they tend to be from.
    If you want a campsite, the family one is best if you can get in, or the Rugby Club maybe.

Cheers bridster , I know the sorts you're talking about , it's the reason I generally don't go to big festivals. Nothing against a bit of craic and singing in a campsite just can't stand messy eejits roaring and acting the maggot.

I think I heard the 'singles' camp site is at Prehen football pitches in the Waterside. About a 25min walk into the city centre.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    I think I heard the 'singles' camp site is at Prehen football pitches in the Waterside. About a 25min walk into the city centre.

That's the one to avoid.
    I looked at the options on the Fleadh site, will be hard to get into the Rugby club without a motorhome, tents only in addition to a MH. But may be possible, I got in last year after a lot of persuasion.
    After that, the Templemore one is the safer option as long as you will not be partying,making noise and causing a racket all night.

City busy on the 1st day, and with dodgy weather.

Next weekend will be BUNGED.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭Liamalone

All campsites were empty on Sunday evening bar two tents at the family one at Templemore sports complex. The town was busy last night though.

That's unusual, especially if the Scoil Eigse one at Rugby Club empty.
    Events in Belfast over the w/e may have been a tipping point for families coming up and staying for the week.
    Although Castlederg passed peacefully, I can't understand why SF promoted it so heavily and could not see the bigger picture with the All Ireland Fleadh in Derry.
    Will be interesting to see how many competition no-shows next w/e. That's the litmus test of CCE's decision.

300,000 visitors was being touted but I do think it will be lower. A lot lower.

I think there is a certain kind of RoI person who still thinks NI is a dangerous place and that we riot all the time, and will probably decide to give the Fleadh a miss this year due to it being in Derry. Which would be a shame.

Reports from the 1st couple of days has been very encouraging.

• Advertisement

I've been to every one since 1997 and there is never 300k people . It's a wild figure.
    Many people are there multiple days and so they are double and triple counted.
    Still, very, very big though, by far the biggest annual event on the island.

Mrs X from Kerry will have concerns about bringing her kids up even though they may be competing and in with a chance of a medal. I wouldn't blame her as she is not used to NI.
    I've travelled and stayed over through NI for 30 yrs without any hesitation but even at that, I had to think twice about going this week. Just think there may be "an edge" to it. Can't explain better than that. The Fleadh is always a chilled out, end of summer care-free few days.
    Will be up Sat though and looking forward to it and hope it goes well for Derry.

Main concern now is how many times will I hear someone trying to sing The Town I Loved so Well...

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

What I've seen so far has been great. What really peeved me off was on Sunday I asked one of the volunteers in the hi vi's where I could get one of the programmes for the week, she didn't know, fair enough, went and asked a second person and they made up directions to try fob me off(go up this road take a left then a right then keep walking type stuff), went beetroot when I pulled him up on it. I know most of these volunteers aren't getting paid, but this could be the first time in Derry for many visitors, is it so hard to make sure they all know the basics to cover most peoples questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

guttenberg wrote: »
    What I've seen so far has been great. What really peeved me off was on Sunday I asked one of the volunteers in the hi vi's where I could get one of the programmes for the week, she didn't know, fair enough, went and asked a second person and they made up directions to try fob me off(go up this road take a left then a right then keep walking type stuff), went beetroot when I pulled him up on it. I know most of these volunteers aren't getting paid, but this could be the first time in Derry for many visitors, is it so hard to make sure they all know the basics to cover most peoples questions?

Do you realise how stuck up you sound like with that post??

So a volunteer was not ready to jump through hoops for you.

You could of course call or visit tourist information who are paid to deal with the likes of that. Thats what most people do.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

brokenarms wrote: »
    Do you realise how stuck up you sound like with that post??

So a volunteer was not ready to jump through hoops for you.

You could of course call or visit tourist information who are paid to deal with the likes of that. Thats what most people do.

How does that sound stuck up? I simply asked a worker for directions! There is many people in the city for the first time. They see someone in a Fleadh bib they usually assume they'll be the best person to ask where to find things. Surely it's not unreasonable to expect them all to know where the Fleadh Office is? where the tourist information is? where the nearest toilets are? cash machine? where you could find a program? instead of simply saying they didn't know the second person I asked tried to send me on a wild goose chase. Surely you don't condone that kinda behaviour?

Advertisement