Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Year's Resolutions

• 31-12-2011 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭

With a new year just around the corner, I started thinking about resolutions for the new year.

Here are some of mine:

Do more things together as a family - my daughter is still young so I want her to remember good times.

Learn to swim and help my daughter learn to swim as well.

Have a proper holiday (to hell with the finances) only had a 3 day break last year, and the Mrs works in a high pressure area, so want to surprise here by having a holiday booked by the end of January.

Look after the health - had some health problems a few years back which really knocked me, so going to continue focussing on the health, weight and fitness.

Try and gain some certifications for professional development and to look seriously at finishing my masters.

Switch off from the bad news - turn on a good comedy instead of the constant onslaught of bad news that the newspapers, radio and TV deliver.

What about you guys, any resolutions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭kearney13

Hope you get to stick to them OP :)

I'm starting a job with bord na mona this wedensday so just plan on making the best of impressions and for the first time ever I bought a diary and keep track of every single penny I earn and spend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

kearney13 wrote: »
    Hope you get to stick to them OP :)

I'm starting a job with bord na mona this wedensday so just plan on making the best of impressions and for the first time ever I bought a diary and keep track of every single penny I earn and spend

Best of luck with the new job kearney13, hope it works out well for you.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 redcortina

Best of luck, Yea i'm hoping to get through my masters too. January exams in lest than two weeks. Being on this probably isn't helping, But maybe in the new year ill be better. ha :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

to get into an open relationship. sounds like fun :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Read more
    Spend less time on my ass
    Get back into running / hill walking
    Cut out procastinating (maybe this should be first :pac: )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Read more
    Spend less time on my ass

Can't beat a bit of jog-reading. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

amacachi wrote: »
    Can't beat a bit of jog-reading. :pac:

A bit of HIIT Jogging / Running / Reading :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Spend less time online.
    Lose weight
    Able to grow a moustache (hair on my face still isn't growing like a proper fella) :pac:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Katy perry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Relax and realise I'm good at what I do :)
    Break no more bones!
    Excel at work.
    Make more of an effort to skype friends abroad.
    Lose 20kg!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I have a few but I'm not going to say what they are unless/until I actually achieve them.

That's my new years resolution!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Learn to drive.. before I'm 30. I encourage people to annoy me about this. Thanks!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Tone up (not necessarily lose weight but less flab)
    Put myself out there more and say yes to more things
    Take more weekend trips

Daisies wrote: »

I decided to do this a few years back. One of the best things I ever did. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Daisies wrote: »

Wasn't there someone in the papers or the media over the last few years who did something like that, where they basically decided to say yes to anything that people suggested to him.

Well he said yes within reason I think!

G-Money wrote: »
    Wasn't there someone in the papers or the media over the last few years who did something like that, where they basically decided to say yes to anything that people suggested to him.

Made a film and all! :D

Larianne wrote: »
    Learn to drive.. before I'm 30. I encourage people to annoy me about this. Thanks!

Learn to drive!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

I decided to do this a few years back. One of the best things I ever did. :)
    G-Money wrote: »

I can imagine the hilarious consequences that would ensue. Well I need to get myself out there after being away. Need more friends :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

To get as fit as possible(fitness not fatness in 2012 :p). I'm going to start going to the gym before work.

Take up an evening class

Play football one evening a week.

I'm not making a resolution to learn to drive...it is a possible thing this year though.

This is not a proper resolution but I hope to continue as I ended 2011. This year has been very good to me and I'm in a much better place than I was last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Learn to play the mandolin.

Seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Race ya. :pac: I'm starting lessons soon...passed the theory in November (aged 29).

Generally not a fan of resolutions, but I'll say completing my MA and keeping up running.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭claire983

I never make any new years resolutions but this year i am and i'm sticking to them ALL.
    Get more active, jogging roller blading, camoige
    Spend more quality time with my little one.
    Learn how to drive, pass my theory test first
    Be more positive about life
    Learn to let go of the past, be happy and find love
    :)

Black Oil wrote: »
    Race ya. :pac: I'm starting lessons soon...passed the theory in November (aged 29).

You're on. I have till October. :cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Snaparoo. :cool:

You're on so! :pac:

damnit

I've till august 2014 so :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

For once, im not going to tell everyone my big plans and end up not doing them.

This year I have my goals and ill just shut up and achieve them. Fingers crossed.

Maybe I might even get over my ex!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Lavezzi

My plan is to earn 10 million peso (176,247 euro) this year. That's if total tyranny hasn't already been unleashed by then.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Get fit, lose some weight and tone up a little. Injured myself fairly badly a few years ago and even though I'm still not 100% I've been using it as an excuse stopping me getting back into sports again. Need to get off my ass and do it.

Clear the rest of my debts, 60% gone in the last 18 months, so the remaining 40% to go. Hopefully by the end the year.. I hope :)

Last and not least, enjoy the year ahead, continue spending time with family and friends and try and improve myself in some way to make myself a better person :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Lavezzi wrote: »
    My plan is to earn 10 million peso (176,247 euro) this year. That's if total tyranny hasn't already been unleashed by then.

Phillipines? Doing what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Take up smoking.

Start random fights on the internet under a secret identity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

I've made my resolutions for January, that seems a bit more manageable than the whole year. Although, I do hope to keep these up beyond that . . .

For the month of January I will:

Walk everyday for at least 40 mins.

Eat no fried food.

Take a spoon of fish oil and a b vitamin every morning.

Open all the windows to let in some fresh air for at least an hour every day.

Do one house-hold job per day like cleaning windows or de-cluttering, should have a very pleasant house by the time February comes along!

There are two resolutions that I hope to continue for the year:

1: Put €10 in the post office every week.

2: Take at least one photograph every day. I got the idea from a friend, she did this project last year and it turned out really nicely.

There you have it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

I'm giving up smoking, it's not a new years resolution as such, it just needs to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭HOS 1997

Have a few but the main one is to learn to drive and pass my test. Did lessons and bought a car last year but haven't had the motivation to keep up driving and use to walking/buses/taxis etc.

I don't really have any resolutions as such, perhaps just to try and be more content with what I have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

To volunteer somewhere. Been meaning to do it for a while and kept putting it on the long finger. Now, i just gotta find somewhere to volunteer!

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭lecker Hendl

bring my own lunch to work. Seriously, the amount of money I was spending buying rolls and what not was ridiculous. About €120 a month.

Also got to cut out mid week drinking...for a while.

mainly save is the goal. My finances are in dire straits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

My main goal this year sounds quite selfish - it's to realise what I'm worth and what I deserve, and to accept nothing less. From myself as well as others.

My diet needs a serious overhaul, though I don't eat badly, I'm just lazy when it comes to cooking and am happy to eat the same stuff over and over and over.

There are a few more, but they're too personal to post here :p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

..There are a few more, but they're too personal to post here :p

We are all friends in here, so c'mon, tell all :pac:

You're on so! :pac:

damnit

Lesson 3. ;)

l.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    We are all friends in here, so c'mon, tell all :pac:

Haha, I'll post about them when they're done, how's that?! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭fullback4glin

My New Year's Resolution: 1024x768

I am actually a little short on ideas for new years resolutions or targets. I can not think of any at all and most of the more common ones mentioned on threads are things I am already interested in and do a lot - especially around the healthy lifestyles of eating and excercise.

The DIY projects I had in mind for the last few years have all been completed and there literally is nothing more to build in or around my land that I can think of (built a small house, an 8 person outdoor heated Jacuzzi, a herb and vegetable garden, a place for hens, and a stone BBQ with inbuilt pizza oven). All way under the budget of getting trained experts to do them and some even under the budget I set myself.

My 2011 resolution was to do a really good deed one per month and I did that. That was inspired by December 2010 when I felt really good about myself for taking 4 random people stranded by snow in Dublin airport home to share in our Christmas dinner and celebrations. Two nutter Russians and two lovely french girls it was. Seems a bit lame to do the same thing for 2012 but it is all I can think of but I am also short of ideas on good deeds to do every month for 2012 having done all the ones I could think of in 2011. I guess I could repeat them but thats a bit lame too.

So really - I am dry - No good targets or Ideas on the cards. Help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

At Tax how about volunteering, another poster said it's something they want to do! I'm a scout leader and I love it, gives you a sense of giving back :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

1. Stick to a fitness plan for the next 12months.
    2. Less surgar.
    3. Drink more water.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

I've become quite reclusive over the past few years. Went 18 months without going to a nightclub and 6 months without going to a pub (and only turned 23 two weeks ago).

So this year I'm going to try and get out more. And if that means leaving the comfort of the couch and going to the pub more often for the odd sociable pint, well then I guess that's a sacrifice I'm just going to have to make! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭HOS 1997

Definitely do as you'll regret it when you are older if you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Get fit.
    Get involved in more clubs and stuff.
    Start playing GAA again.
    Save.
    Start ignoring the ex (we work together and long story :D )
    Do an evening class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

1: Get down to some proper study for the rest of the school year.
    2: Lose a stone and a half in weight between now and September (and keep it off this time :rolleyes:)
    3: Enjoy the summers work while I have it, only 3 months of the year.
    4: Stop biting my nails (again).
    5: Try cut out the chocolate and drink more water.

Nothing life changing or impossible in there, but if I got that much done in 2012 I'd be pretty happy with myself :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Stop smoking.

Exercise more.

I'm only 27, these sporadic pains in my chest/lungs are not a good sign and can't continue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement