Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

City & Utd Who will finish higher and why?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Wasted? We bought for the future - wait till you see the likes of lucas piazon etc

Honestly, he could be a total dud, like di santo or the likes. Chelsea have blown huge money on Torres, Meireles, Luiz, thats nearly 100 million alone, they need a massive amount of new players. In my opinion they are the most likely to drop out of the top four, they have survived on the remnants of Mourinho's team for the last 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Manchester Utd - I follow another team
    bullvine wrote: »
    Honestly, he could be a total dud, like di santo or the likes. Chelsea have blown huge money on Torres, Meireles, Luiz, thats nearly 100 million alone, they need a massive amount of new players. In my opinion they are the most likely to drop out of the top four, they have survived on the remnants of Mourinho's team for the last 5 years.

Thats what the "The Project" is about, replacing the old guard

We will rise again, just as Utd did when they rebuilt the team.
    I think we got quite value out of that team, 3 leagues and a good few cups, should have been more really

Maybe I am being too hard on Utd, but City are slightly different from Chelsea as they dont seem to have an owner who interferes or who makes it a win the league\cl or get fired policy. Hughes was only fired cos he was failing to get them into the top 4
    I'd be more worried about City than anyone else, they could end up doing what Chelsea should have done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

The difference between United and Chelsea is that, United did it gradually, with a couple of young players mainly purchased in fairness every year being introduced into the team. Now the squad is very balanced age wise from the old men to the young lads in the first team squad. Chelsea will have too many the wrong side of 30 by next season and not enough entering their prime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I think we got quite value out of that team, 3 leagues and a good few cups, should have been more really

Maybe I am being too hard on Utd, but City are slightly different from Chelsea as they dont seem to have an owner who interferes or who makes it a win the league\cl or get fired policy. Hughes was only fired cos he was failing to get them into the top 4
    I'd be more worried about City than anyone else, they could end up doing what Chelsea should have done

Your saying United will fade away because of money and you say Chelsea will rise again from building a young team. Who is to say these players will fulfill their potential or if they actually become first team members. How long will it take for these players to start making an impact i mean didnt Chelsea invest a load of money into youth development and who has come in and made a big mark on the team?

While United already have a load of young players who are already playing a part and starting alot of games.

De Gea 21. loads of experience for a young keeper.
    Smalling 22. English international and United regular.
    Jones 20. English international played alot this year.
    Evans 23. Has alot of games under his belt.
    Rafael 21. Brazil international and has played alot of games.
    Fabio 21. Injuries have held him back was brilliant at the end of last season.
    Cleverley 22. Looked very good at the start of the year very promising.
    Hernandez 24. Looked brilliant last year injuries holding him back this year.
    Wellbeck 21. Been a regular all year and an English international.

Then you have the likes of Pogba, Tunnicliffe, Petrucci and Will Keane who look promising.

Add in the fact Rooney, Nani, Young and Valencia are all mid twenties and yet to reach their peak.

I would say United are fairly well set for the next few years and i dont see where Fergie needs to spend alot of money. Maybe could do with a big signing for the middle of the park but thats about it. With all those youngsters getting better each season and improving i think the future for United looks fairly bright considering how well they have been doing already.

While on the other hand Chelsea have alot of deadwood and need alot of signings. If they dont get in the top 4 this year i would worry for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Manchester City - I follow another team
    Ferdinand was the best Premiership CB of his generation. Was is now the operate word, but at his peak, he was unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

PHB wrote: »
    Ferdinand was the best Premiership CB of his generation. Was is now the operate word, but at his peak, he was unbelievable.

Indeed. Should have never left Leeds.

Damn you Peter Risdale!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Absolutely. A lot of people prefer the more blood and thunder defenders like Vidic and Terry but Ferdinand had attributes that very few others in the world had. Immense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

But as a chelsea fan, I'm well used to all the bleeding heart liberals
    Thanks for the laugh. Maybe call them the PC brigade, it'd make as much sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I honestly don't think Vidic would have become half the player he has without Ferdinand beside him.

United could do worse than keep him around for a couple more years, even if its just to allow the likes of Smalling/Jones, as well as younger players coming through, to learn from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

You're not going to be allowed to buy like you did before again. Your manager and team are failing set by previous Chelsea standards. But as you pointed out Chelsea have invested good money in youth. Sturridge, Romeu, Lukaku, De Bruyne, Coutois, Kalas, Piazon. It's a huge pool of talent, no doubt. But it's not going to propel Chelsea above City (assuming they're the best team atm). Relying on youth in a crisis like this, in this day and age, is incorrect. Chelsea are also at huge risk of not qualifying for the CL.

The risk of falling off is huge and Liverpool and Spurs are looking to move into your spot last season along with Arsenal. I'd be more pessimistic about being a Chelsea fan than I would of any other club in the top five and Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Looks like city have bottled it over the last few weeks and in fine fashion too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Looks like city have bottled it over the last few weeks and in fine fashion too.

I think we all wish you would bottle it for a while too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

niallo27 wrote: »
    I think we all wish you would bottle it for a while too.

not when I'm well on course for that €50 from you ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

lolz at the ABU poll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

At Christmas I really couldn't see United winning it. And then especially after they got their rear-ends handed to them by us at St. James :D I would say credit United and while they have done well to claw it back and be in a position where it's their's to lose really, I can't help but feeling its more due to City choking than United being anything exceptional. Mind you United still had to capitallise when City messed up and they did so well, but I just feel that City threw it away.

Now I know its not finished yet but its a long way back for City now, I know Arsenal lost today but still you can't really see City winning in the Emirates next week and now even Norwich (and dare I say Wolves!!!) will be confident of picking up points off City given their terrible away form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

It looks like United definitely now after the showing from City today. Utd are getting the wins, even if they are not playing great. Vital point going in the bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Think I'll pluck up the courage and vote now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I always think utd are the team to beat tbh and despite yesterdays result they won't be too far off top come May. Always very strong from January on.

City have the best squad but no experience in the run-in when the pressure is on.

Too close to call imo.

First reply in the thread proved quite accurate, only the last line being slightly incorrect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

carlop wrote: »
    First reply in the thread proved quite accurate, only the last line being slightly incorrect.

Nope, I disagree with City having the better squad.

One of the biggest myths this season IMO.

United have had over twice the amount of injuries City have had and yet are still winning the league at a canter.

City have a lack of depth in central defense and are woefully short on natural wide players. Adam Johnson is the only one they have and he's not good enough.

They've also been short on centre forwards with Tevez going AWOL for most of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

s.welstead wrote: »
    United Supporter

While everything is going great for City at present I don't see them qualifying out of their Champions League group. I think they'll have further problems from Balotelli down the line also.
    They'll have a blip in the league at some point and it will be interesting to see their reaction.

Overall I felt United would do enough to be above City this season at the start of the campaign and one result does not change my mind.

:cool: Time for being smug! hehe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

/close thread - I got it wrong btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well done City

Advertisement