Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardener/landscaper recommendation

Options
  • 13-05-2011 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,
    I need a good gardener for routine job (fairly big job) but am getting it very hard to find someone reliable. Cant even get them to call me back - hard to believe in this day and age - I know! Can anyone help - I am in the Dublin / Dunboyne/Maynooth area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

robbina wrote: »
    Hi,
    I need a good gardener for routine job (fairly big job) but am getting it very hard to find someone reliable. Cant even get them to call me back - hard to believe in this day and age - I know! Can anyone help - I am in the Dublin / Dunboyne/Maynooth area.

That's some geographic spread? Peak season now, so 'reliable' types are probably flat out. What type of work do you mean with 'routine'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 robbina

That's some geographic spread? Peak season now, so 'reliable' types are probably flat out. What type of work do you mean with 'routine'?

I live between Dunboyne and Maynooth so can be easily reached from Dublin/Meath or Kildare border areas. By routine I mean what I imagine most gardeners/landscapers spend their life doing, sowing a lawn, planting shrubs, making a flower bed, trimming hedges etc etc. No mastermind stuff - just someone who knows what they are doing, will turn up, do the job and get paid! Thought there was loadsa people out there looking for work????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I've had three different gardeners over the last couple of years because I let the garden go too wild and I couldn't cope with it. Unfortunately the Irish guys were just too expensive so the last time I got a non-Irish guy who just as good and he charged a more reasonable price. However, all in all I found that none of them were interested in doing lawns. I told them all I wanted the lawn sorted out because it was bare and patchy in some areas, but none of them did that end of the job. They were all happy to dig flower beds and cut down anything in their path though. I just wonder if 'gardener' is the wrong word for some of these guys. Some of them don't even know the names of common plants, and I'm no gardener myself - I get all my info from books and the internet. So I suppose to get the best you need to look for qualifications, references, and then pay the top-notch price they charge!! I've given up getting 'gardeners' now and am trying to keep the garden up to scratch myself.

robbina wrote: »
    I live between Dunboyne and Maynooth so can be easily reached from Dublin/Meath or Kildare border areas. By routine I mean what I imagine most gardeners/landscapers spend their life doing, sowing a lawn, planting shrubs, making a flower bed, trimming hedges etc etc. No mastermind stuff - just someone who knows what they are doing, will turn up, do the job and get paid! Thought there was loadsa people out there looking for work????

A rough but important distinction: Gardeners tend gardeners, landscapers build gardens and yes, there are some who do both.

Lots of busy landscapers out there, I sense you're out of touch with the work environment and somehow this also is possibly impacting on your attitude. Anyways, take a look at www.alci.ie.

A little politeness goes a long way, so no need for the condescension.:o

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I've had three different gardeners over the last couple of years because I let the garden go too wild and I couldn't cope with it. Unfortunately the Irish guys were just too expensive so the last time I got a non-Irish guy who just as good and he charged a more reasonable price. However, all in all I found that none of them were interested in doing lawns. I told them all I wanted the lawn sorted out because it was bare and patchy in some areas, but none of them did that end of the job. They were all happy to dig flower beds and cut down anything in their path though. I just wonder if 'gardener' is the wrong word for some of these guys. Some of them don't even know the names of common plants, and I'm no gardener myself - I get all my info from books and the internet. So I suppose to get the best you need to look for qualifications, references, and then pay the top-notch price they charge!! I've given up getting 'gardeners' now and am trying to keep the garden up to scratch myself.

More a penny pinching than a despairing attitude, but why are you surprised? Scraping around at the bottom of the barrel looking for value? :(

To dismiss 'Irish' as expensive and 'non-Irish' as value is ridiculous. Of course there are huge differences, many people have been conned by the 'Jack out of the box' gardeners, who charge little and know even less. You're not willing to pay qualified rates, but unhappy with the service quality of a budget rate? It's really a case of won't pay meets can't do.

Back to the garden, plenty of learning to developing and maintaining a garden. Some patience, attitude and work is mostly required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,112 ✭✭✭✭looksee

More a penny pinching than a despairing attitude, but why are you surprised? Scraping around at the bottom of the barrel looking for value? :(

To dismiss 'Irish' as expensive and 'non-Irish' as value is ridiculous. Of course there are huge differences, many people have been conned by the 'Jack out of the box' gardeners, who charge little and know even less. You're not willing to pay qualified rates, but unhappy with the service quality of a budget rate? It's really a case of won't pay meets can't do.

Back to the garden, plenty of learning to developing and maintaining a garden. Some patience, attitude and work is mostly required.

Just because someone is Irish and expensive doesn't mean he is qualified.

looksee wrote: »
    Just because someone is Irish and expensive doesn't mean he is qualified.

Looksee - Look and see. Don't be ridiculous, why are you conjuring my words?:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I don't have very many pennies to 'pinch'!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 156 ✭✭ymurtagh

hi, maybe be of help,we are suppling a regular maintaince service in this area with current clients in Leixlip,celbridge,maynooth, carton estate etc, if you would like a contact number you can send me a private message,, Yvonne

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Someone based in Dunboyne...
    I'll PM his details... Qualified and does the Job.

• Advertisement
Advertisement