Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to plant in greenhouse?! :)

Options
  • 08-05-2011 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

Im lucky at the moment to have access to quite a large greenhouse. It's prob 50 feet long by 25 wide though I'm not the best at dimensions. At the moment all that's in it are lots of tomato plants. One mental looking wild parsnip & a small chilli plant I have on a ledge. I have cabbage, onions, zuccini, curly kale outside. Do any of you green fingered boardies have any suggestion as to what would be good to plant inside. Oh & I also hav two healthy looking strawberry hanging baskets.

Also, I bought several grow bag type things of eBay. They hav 12 openings on one side of the bag. 6 down each side of bag. I'd say it's 2 foot long, 1 foot wide. Any suggestions on what I should put in there?!

Hope no ones gardens are getting hammered with the crazy rain we've been having in the west last couple days.

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Lunaarli

All replies appreciated, making a visit to the garden centre later today :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭mr lee

mary jane,you wont find it in the garden center though

mr lee wrote: »
    mary jane,you wont find it in the garden center though

Ha, That would be nice.
    Doubt my straight edged brother would enjoy it as much as me :)

No answers?! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 JPLON

I'd plant watermelons, basil, coriander, zucchini, cucumber, etc. I have a greenhouse too, and I grow a lot of my vegetables and fruits there. I heard some people have underground greenhouses that they have installed heaters and lights in there so they can still grow plants in the freezing cold winters in Canada. If you live in the UK you're summers are a lot longer than my summers here in Canada. you can try growing Pineapples! I know there was a painting in England that someone grew a pineapple and it was from the 1600's! Good luck!

• Advertisement

JPLON wrote: »
    I'd plant watermelons, basil, coriander, zucchini, cucumber, etc. I have a greenhouse too, and I grow a lot of my vegetables and fruits there. I heard some people have underground greenhouses that they have installed heaters and lights in there so they can still grow plants in the freezing cold winters in Canada. If you live in the UK you're summers are a lot longer than my summers here in Canada. you can try growing Pineapples! I know there was a painting in England that someone grew a pineapple and it was from the 1600's! Good luck!

Wow, pineapples!

I bought some guava seeds off ebay, so I'll give them a go.
    I have zuccini outside, I was told they were hardy enough.

Will try cucumber too :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

suntottie wrote: »
    Wow, pineapples!

I bought some guava seeds off ebay, so I'll give them a go.
    I have zuccini outside, I was told they were hardy enough.

Will try cucumber too :P

If you slice the top off a pineapple and plant it in a pot you can grow a pineapple plant from that but you need a hot moist climate.
    Not sure about the Guava.

Thats quiet a decent greenhouse.

Couple of questions

1. Has the green house got a support cable to hang guidestrings for plants?
    2. Whats the soil like? Not all plants need to be planted in grow bags.
    3. How are you irrigating crops? Watering canor do youhave a sprayline or trickle irrigation in place?

Cucumbers- work on the same feed as tomatoes, need support string like toms.
    Aubergines- as above
    Peppers- try the red romano pepper varieties
    Chillies- plenty of other chillie varities to try
    Beans- haricot(french) and runner beans grow really well in greenhouses
    Melon- grow very much like courgettes(zucchini) and spreadout, pumpkins and butternut squash grow well indoors too. I restrict my pumpkins by tying them up in the air.

Corsendonk wrote: »
    If you slice the top off a pineapple and plant it in a pot you can grow a pineapple plant from that but you need a hot moist climate.
    Not sure about the Guava.

Thats quiet a decent greenhouse.

Couple of questions

1. Has the green house got a support cable to hang guidestrings for plants?
    2. Whats the soil like? Not all plants need to be planted in grow bags.
    3. How are you irrigating crops? Watering canor do youhave a sprayline or trickle irrigation in place?

Cucumbers- work on the same feed as tomatoes, need support string like toms.
    Aubergines- as above
    Peppers- try the red romano pepper varieties
    Chillies- plenty of other chillie varities to try
    Beans- haricot(french) and runner beans grow really well in greenhouses
    Melon- grow very much like courgettes(zucchini) and spreadout, pumpkins and butternut squash grow well indoors too. I restrict my pumpkins by tying them up in the air.

Yep, my Dad put up timber frames and we have twine to hang them.

The soil is, God I don't know really, quite dry soil but the tomatos that come from it are amazing.

I've mixed bit of compost in it

There is no irrigation set up, my Dad built a massive rain water tank and connected a tap in the greenhouse so I spray everything/ water by hand.

I bought some pepper/capsicum plants today but put them in grow bags.
    I have chilli plant too, I'm the only one who eats chilli so thought one plant was enough.

The garden centre where I live have no runner bean plants.

This is my first year to get into gardening and it's amazing.
    It's so therapeutic, I can't believe how much time and energy I'm putting into everything.

Oh, I have planted LOTS of sunflowers.. can't wait for them to get big, they do wonders for your soul I think and make the nicest presents :)

Do you know much about fruit bush planting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

suntottie wrote: »
    Yep, my Dad put up timber frames and we have twine to hang them.

The soil is, God I don't know really, quite dry soil but the tomatos that come from it are amazing.

I've mixed bit of compost in it

There is no irrigation set up, my Dad built a massive rain water tank and connected a tap in the greenhouse so I spray everything/ water by hand.

I bought some pepper/capsicum plants today but put them in grow bags.
    I have chilli plant too, I'm the only one who eats chilli so thought one plant was enough.

The garden centre where I live have no runner bean plants.

This is my first year to get into gardening and it's amazing.
    It's so therapeutic, I can't believe how much time and energy I'm putting into everything.

Oh, I have planted LOTS of sunflowers.. can't wait for them to get big, they do wonders for your soul I think and make the nicest presents :)

Do you know much about fruit bush planting?

Better to buy beans as seeds and just sow into pots and then plant out when their 6ins-1fttall into the ground.

For fruit for a strange one I tried Huckleberry a few years ago, grew really well. Blackberries and raspberries grow well in greenhouses but you got the problem of thorns and you just have to prune as they throw side shoots all the time. Strawberries grow well too and throw side runners that will root and give you new plants for next year.

Advertisement