Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coolaney, Co. Sligo Records

Options
  • 24-07-2014 7:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Hi,

The Coolaney RC Baptismal records are only available from 1870s but I have recently learned that the father of the chap that I was researching apparently converted to RC on his death bed (1885) so I have some queries:-

Back then (1840s), the spouse would have to convert in order to marry in a RC church?
    What was the name of the nearest C of I Church to Coolaney?
    With the father being C of I, does that imply that the children would not have been baptised in RC church even with the mother being RC?

I have one other instance in my family tree where the couple supposedly married in the RC church and also in C of I church on the same day. However, the records for the CofI parish were destroyed so no confirmation of the 2nd marriage. All of their children were baptised in RC church.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

In the 1830s Coolaney is listed as a market town in Killoran civil and Church of Ireland parish, 4 miles (6 km) to the west of the town of Collooney. The Church of Ireland church was south of the the town and in the townland of Rathbarran. There still seems to be a church at the same spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

not looking promising for CofI records - latest RCB list shows baptisms for Killoran (Achrony) going back to 1882, marriages back to 1845 so would be covered by civil records, and death burials back to 1886
    With the father being C of I, does that imply that the children would not have been baptised in RC church even with the mother being RC?
    Children could be baptised in either, or both. In a mixed marriage sometimes the children were baptised in the mother's denomination, or just the daughters etc

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Shane, thanks so much for your replies. It does not look promising at all in that case to locate any relevant records with CofI either.

Which makes it surprising that another researcher of this chap's family have him born in 1840 when his RIC, Census & Courts records show his year of birth as c1854. A 33 year old could hardly pass himself as an 19 year old when enlisting with the RIC?

Thanks

Advertisement