Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British Army experiences in Northern Ireland

Options
  • 01-05-2014 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any accounts or memoirs or anything along those lines of British soldiers posted in Northern Ireland during the Troubles? I'm interested in the experiences, thoughts, outlooks and feelings of those outside of the UDR/Ulstermen in the British Army. I would love to know what it was like for a young English soldier in his 20's to be randomly posted into such a hostile, almost foreign environment such as Belfast in the 70s/80s/90s

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Have you tried www.atroubledpast.com there's some interesting stories on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

It's blocked at work unfortunately but I'll definitely check it out at home.

My friends father was a British sniper during the Troubles... posted in the exact same town that his then future friend was in the IRA :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

I seem to remember hearing that British soldiers originally from anywhere in Ireland weren't posted to serve in NI for most if the troubles (I think it changed in the 90s).

So most of the recollections you will find would be from people from GB anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭orangesoda

Nothing written but I think there is interviews with british soldiers in this documentary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps62917nQlg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Andy McNab's autobiography, Immeadiate Action has a few chapters on Northern Ireland, but it doesnt really describe anything but some action

• Advertisement

I just saw a reference to this book a minute ago, this is probably what you want A Long Long War: Voices from the British Army in Northern Ireland 1969-98

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

turnikett1 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any accounts or memoirs or anything along those lines of British soldiers posted in Northern Ireland during the Troubles? I'm interested in the experiences, thoughts, outlooks and feelings of those outside of the UDR/Ulstermen in the British Army. I would love to know what it was like for a young English soldier in his 20's to be randomly posted into such a hostile, almost foreign environment such as Belfast in the 70s/80s/90s

Remember, please, that many of these soldiers were NOT English, but Welsh and Scots and Commonwealth citizens living in UK. They all have their own, different, take on the situation in which they found themselves. Some of us, half-Irish, or second generation Irish/whatever, had a virtual life-long ban from visiting the Republic of Ireland for any reason. Although I retired in the late summer of 2000, it was early 2002 before the ban was lifted in my case. Meanwhile, I'd missed funerals of my immediate family that I would have wanted to attend, and was never forgiven for doing so.

For many of us, Northern Ireland and its peculiar circumstances occupied most of our long Army careers. I first went there just before Christmas 1969, and last went there almost twenty-eight years later. I was seeing the grandchildren of those I had known when I had been a young soldier, as full of the fear and hatred or other strong emotions as their grandparents had been.

Going home to rural Canada, where my family had been farmers since the turn of the 19th century, really was like visiting another world. Getting on the flight to come back here was always very hard to do.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

tac foley wrote: »
    I was seeing the grandchildren of those I had known when I had been a young soldier, as full of the fear and hatred or other strong emotions as their grandparents had been.

tac

I read that sentence over and over.

So very well put, and I wish a lot of people read it and understood it.

. Some of us, half-Irish, or second generation Irish/whatever, had a virtual life-long ban from visiting the Republic of Ireland for any reason. Although I retired in the late summer of 2000, it was early 2002 before the ban was lifted in my case.
    Who imposed the ban? The MOD?

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office imposed the ban.

tac

• Advertisement

Ever thought of writing your own memoirs Tac?

Not for a minute.

tac

Not for a minute.

tac
    That's a pity ;)

I always wish my older family members had written memoirs or diaries or something, instead most of them are gone now and their stories with them, lost forever.

I'd like to forget quite a lot of the time that I spent in the Army, thanks.

tac

I'd like to forget quite a lot of the time that I spent in the Army, thanks.

tac
    Fair enough

I should have written that I would have liked to forget etc. Sadly, some things I saw will never go away.

Mind you, I also had some truly great times, too.

tac

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office imposed the ban.

tac

Really? Wow.

Richard wrote: »
    Really? Wow.

Yes, really.

The F&CO control passports, and can temporarily suspend your passport for 'infringements'. I also had a four-year post retirement ban on visiting the former Soviet Union, PRC and certain other countries.

When my flight to work in Tokyo back in 2003 got diverted to Shanghai Pudong Airport, and I actually 'arrived' in PRC for over an hour while they fixed whatever it was that had caused the emergency, I received a 'letter of censure' from the F&CO about a month later. In this letter, they expressed their concern that I had 'visited' PRC whilst under a ban. I explone why it had happened, and it was grudgingly excepted that it was unintentional, but I was left in no doubt that I had been a very naughty boy.

Next time I went over I used my Canadian passport, just in case.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

OP, read soldier of the queen

about a young soldier (of irish distraction) experience in NI during the hunger strikes, it an excellent read

When my flight to work in Tokyo back in 2003 got diverted to Shanghai Pudong Airport, and I actually 'arrived' in PRC for over an hour while they fixed whatever it was that had caused the emergency, I received a 'letter of censure' from the F&CO about a month later. In this letter, they expressed their concern that I had 'visited' PRC whilst under a ban. I explone why it had happened, and it was grudgingly excepted that it was unintentional, but I was left in no doubt that I had been a very naughty boy.

Next time I went over I used my Canadian passport, just in case.

tac

Thanks for posting - I had no idea. Did you report to them that you had been to China or did they just know because they monitor these things?

• Advertisement

Richard wrote: »
    Thanks for posting - I had no idea. Did you report to them that you had been to China or did they just know because they monitor these things?

Well, I didn't tell them.

They obviously monitor these things. No matter where you go, it seems that you can be checked up on.

tac

Advertisement