Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fine dining in wexford

Options
  • 30-09-2009 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi

Taking my significant other to the South East for an important birthday. Can anyone suggest a great food experience in the area?

It has to be really special!

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Try http://www.viaveneto.ie/ in Enniscorthy you wont be dissapointed

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

dinner in Monart, fab food !

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

Four restaurants in Wexford made the Irish Times best restaurant guide last week:

Via Veneto - I've never eaten here but have only heard good things about it.
    La Dolce Vita, Selskar Wexford - A lunch-time cafe only rather than fine dining but some really lovely Italian food.
    Dunrody House - Kevin Dundon's place in Arthurstown. My parents ate here a year or so ago and still rave about it.
    Kellys Hotel Rosslare - has a Bistro and Restaurant, I've only eaten in the the Bistro and really love it, fine food, excellent service. I've never tried the restaurant but it might be more your scene if you're after 'fine dining'.

I also like Fordes on Crescent Quay in Wexford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭sallysaucer

I second Fordes!!!

Also Le Tire Bouchon over the sky and the ground.

It had fab food and some of the best wines....really classic place and not too expensive!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭acer911

dinner in Monart, fab food !

Monart, wow wow wow, this has to be experienced, everything bout it, d surroundings, the food, the relaxed environment....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Mrs JackDaniels

acer911 wrote: »
    Monart, wow wow wow, this has to be experienced, everything bout it, d surroundings, the food, the relaxed environment....

+1

La Dolce Vita is great, but its packed out, well worth it for lunch though.

I must also say - best coffee in Wexford, Greenacres café!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭delsutton2008

I've eaten in both Kelly's La Marine bistro (dinner) and Dunbrody House (lunch) in the last month and both were excellent. The mushroom soup at Dunbrody was to die for... never tasted such intense flavours before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭johnnysmurfman

Also Le Tire Bouchon over the sky and the ground.

I second this, truly exceptional and very good value too, particularly the early bird menu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 King Crisps

I can third this. I eat out twice a week, every week. I have tried every restaurant possible in the south east, and in my opinion, there is no restaurant in wexford that could even get close to Le Tire Bouchon. If you are going to eat there, I would suggest making a booking first, they are always busy, ( which is good for them ). A la carte is superb, with a recommended wine with each dish, ( which I think is excellent to see as it shows a great deal of thought has gone in to the menu ). Wine list is probrbly the best in wexford except for Kelly hotel, but his brother owns vinyards, so thats understandable that Kelly would have a massive wine list. Desserts are fantastic, prices are, I think, more than reasonable for the quality of food and service you get.
    They also do a riduculously cheap bistro menu, 5 courses plus wine for 23.95. They were open one year yesterday. Before anyone thinks I'm doing an add for them, I eat here twice a week every week, I know all the staff and everything about them. I know Arnaud is 3 Michellin star trained and Romain is 2 michellin star trained, and I know Kevin, the Head Chef was Kevin Dundon's Sous Chef in Dunbrody for 2 years before opening Le Tire Bouchon,and on Friday night they gave me a bottle of Champagne to say thank you for the business i gave them in the first year. There was no need for the Champagne, but I wasn't gonna say no haha.
    Anyway, if you want the very best, OF EVERYTHING, I suggest you look no further. I look forward to Tuesday night for my next visit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Fatswaldo

Aldridge lodge near duncannon - as good as it gets. Look them up on the web.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

kb1981 wrote: »
    Hi

Taking my significant other to the South East for an important birthday. Can anyone suggest a great food experience in the area?

It has to be really special!

Cheers

Hi KB1981
    Did you have your special meal afterwards?
    If so, where & what did you think?
    If not yet, then maybe be a little more specific with what part of our beautiful sunny:rolleyes: south east you're heading for - that way you might get pointers closer to where you're actually staying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 guitarsongs

I can thoroughly recommend Taste Restaurant to anyone looking for good food, superb service, relaxing atmosphere and great location.

Taste manages to nestle itself between historic Wexford ( overlooked by Selskar Abbey ( built 1190 ) and facing on to the old West Gate Tower ) and the new vibrant bar and nightclub section of Wexford, so on a fine day you can eat out in their Alfresco dining garden and take in the picturesque historic views, and when you've enjoyed your meal, you're just a few minutes walk from the hotspots.

Food is always great, mainly modern Irish / European cuisine, but there is always at least one great oriental option on the menu. Service is second-to-none, however busy they are, you always seem to get just exactly the right timing between courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 kimmayxoxo

Was wondering if anyone knows any restarurants or hotels that evening wear wouldnt look to odd? wanting to celebrate an engagement and hoping to wear evening wear?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭Corvo

kimmayxoxo wrote: »
    Was wondering if anyone knows any restarurants or hotels that evening wear wouldnt look to odd? wanting to celebrate an engagement and hoping to wear evening wear?

Depends, will there be servants throwing roses at your feet? :pac:

Seriously though, that's a tough one.

Possibly Thomas Moore?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 kimmayxoxo

hahaha, noooo, just really looking for somewere that my friend can get dressed up and celebrate her engagement she really deserves it!
    Ive emailed so many places and they have said it is mainly smart casual? could we get away with wearing long dresses?hahah

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭Corvo

kimmayxoxo wrote: »
    hahaha, noooo, just really looking for somewere that my friend can get dressed up and celebrate her engagement she really deserves it!
    Ive emailed so many places and they have said it is mainly smart casual? could we get away with wearing long dresses?hahah

Honestly, most places ain't going to mind. I've seen pre wedding parties and those from the Opera Festival (monocle included) dining and drinking away in the Thomas Moore and no one bats an eyelid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

The Pigs Tale in Gorey is amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭yermanhimself

Cistin Eile in Wexford town serves great food and is beautifully presented,

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Cistin Eile in Wexford town serves great food and is beautifully presented,

The food in Cistin is wonderful but i would class it as casual rather than fine dining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,690 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Hi

In wexford town this weekend and looking for places to eat. Had a look at some of the places recommended here but googling them some seemed to be closed

Any other good restaurants anyone can recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Hi

In wexford town this weekend and looking for places to eat. Had a look at some of the places recommended here but googling them some seemed to be closed

Any other good restaurants anyone can recommend?

Cistin Elle would be nice. You would need to make a booking. Real rich foods.
    The Vine is Quiet nice too. Thai restuarant.
    The Yard would also be a good spot too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

I'm a fan of greenacres - I like the food there.
    Nothing wrong with the other suggestions though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

• Registered Users Posts: 3,690 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

ezra_ wrote: »

Booked here tried the yard but booked out

Thanks for suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

How did ya get on gunner

Advertisement