Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dumping Rubbish

Options
  • 21-01-2016 6:52pm
    Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I drove from Blackwater to Enniscorthy today and the road from the Killcotty towns land to the junction at the main Oulart rd. All along the road the ditches are full of dumped rubbish. Last Monday i drove out the kiltealy rd from Enniscorthy and about 4-5kms out there is rubbish dumped in the ditches. Id like other posters here to share either stories or photos where they have seen household rubbish dumped in Co Wexford. What i don't get is that it would cost money/petrol to drive around dumping rubbish and yet rubbish bags are not that expensive to buy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

I have to agree on all you have said OP, it's happening everywhere, you will notice it more in ditches at this time of year, I have come across bottles,cans and other stuff that can be recycled but yet dumped,and as you have said where I see them and what I have seen you would need a car when you could drive to the recycling centre and pay E2 but like everything else there are people who do not want to pay for anything

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

It's not just Wexford, the entire country is the same.
    If the government had brought in a centralised refuse tax instead of a centralised water one it might have stopped these scum from destroying the countryside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭secman

I cycle at weekends ,all around ballygarret killenagh ,kilmuckridge, oulart is destroyed with litter, mostly bottles and cans which can be recycled free of charge. Utter morans of the highest order. Minimum fine of 1000 euro for these morans.... blood boils when I see it...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

It'll get worse as waste companies are upping their prices and introducing pay by weight,those too lazy to sort out recycling will dump even more.
    The worst thing is that even if the culprits go to court,an expensive legal bill is the result for councils as the scumbag dumpers get off on technicalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

zerks wrote: »
    It'll get worse as waste companies are upping their prices and introducing pay by weight,those too lazy to sort out recycling will dump even more.
    The worst thing is that even if the culprits go to court,an expensive legal bill is the result for councils as the scumbag dumpers get off on technicalities.

My husband was listening to a radio programme a couple of weeks back, it was about the pay for weight which I think was on a trial run in some counties, the interviewee kept saying that rubbish had been reduced by so much ( can't remember%) but when the presenter of the show kept asking where was the rubbish going that had been reduced, your man would never give an answer and kept changing the subject

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭thedarkroom

There's an App you can get called See it? Say it! that you can use for reporting litter. It's available for iPhones and most likely other devices too. Basically, you launch the app, take a photo, give a bit of detail and submit it. The app geotags the report so they know where it is located.
    I use it regularly and it's very easy and effective. The report then appears on fixyourstreet.ie (I think that's the right address) and gives an update when sorted. It's well worth checking out because Wexford Co Co quite often won't know about dumping because it will be down in some place of the beaten track and not seen by them. By reporting it, they can then act on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

There's an App you can get called See it? Say it! that you can use for reporting litter. It's available for iPhones and most likely other devices too. Basically, you launch the app, take a photo, give a bit of detail and submit it. The app geotags the report so they know where it is located.
    I use it regularly and it's very easy and effective. The report then appears on fixyourstreet.ie (I think that's the right address) and gives an update when sorted. It's well worth checking out because Wexford Co Co quite often won't know about dumping because it will be down in some place of the beaten track and not seen by them. By reporting it, they can then act on it.

Hate to be a cynic darkroom but my experience of "fix my street" is, it's a good idea, too bad it's not put in practice. I have reported potholes in my estate several times over the last couple of years, including photos, GPS location etc and the only change has been that you can now swim, rather than paddle in them.
    The problem is that at the end of the day the task of doing anything about it ends up with Wexford Co. Co. and goes on the ever increasing list of things that will get done "When we have the money" and despite constant dipping into the pockets of the taxpayer for Property Tax, landfill charges et al, that day seems further away than ever. Say thank you to Enda Kenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭thedarkroom

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Hate to be a cynic darkroom but my experience of "fix my street" is, it's a good idea, too bad it's not put in practice. I have reported potholes in my estate several times over the . . .

Would it be possible that your estate has not yet been taken in charge by the council, in which case the responsibility lies with the developer or the management (which could be one and the same) or else with the residents. The Co Co will not touch private estates or any which have not been taken in charge.
    Having said that, I have never used the app to report road issues so couldn't comment on level of response. I have used it several times for litter issues and always found it effective. I've also found Twitter to be good.
    I was on to Wexford Co Co recently about the litter problems everywhere. I was curious to know if they were going to follow the example of Dublin authorities and pursue people who don't have contracts with refuse collectors and get them to show how they dispose of their refuse. They said that the Environment section is following this up. This might help somewhat.
    Also related, I contacted AES about wheels bins and the introduction of pay-by-weight in July this year. I was curious to know if they will be putting any kind of locks on the bins to stop freeloaders dumping in the bins of those of us who pay. They said no, it's up to the householder to purchase and install a lock, available from most hardware shops. Not particularly impressed with that. I'm curious to know if any new customers and bins supplied will have this facility, or do any of their competitors do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Would it be possible that your estate has not yet been taken in charge by the council, in which case the responsibility lies with the developer or the management (which could be one and the same) or else with the residents. The Co Co will not touch private estates or any which have not been taken in charge.
    Having said that, I have never used the app to report road issues so couldn't comment on level of response. I have used it several times for litter issues and always found it effective. I've also found Twitter to be good.
    I was on to Wexford Co Co recently about the litter problems everywhere. I was curious to know if they were going to follow the example of Dublin authorities and pursue people who don't have contracts with refuse collectors and get them to show how they dispose of their refuse. They said that the Environment section is following this up. This might help somewhat.
    Also related, I contacted AES about wheels bins and the introduction of pay-by-weight in July this year. I was curious to know if they will be putting any kind of locks on the bins to stop freeloaders dumping in the bins of those of us who pay. They said no, it's up to the householder to purchase and install a lock, available from most hardware shops. Not particularly impressed with that. I'm curious to know if any new customers and bins supplied will have this facility, or do any of their competitors do it.

Our estate is in charge of Wexford Co. Co. and as a residents' representative I have had meetings with representatives of the Roads and Environment sections of the Council and also with political representatives about issues in the estate. The answer is always the same, despite the raft of new taxes and cuts in public services introduced in the past few years, the council say they are being starved of funds by the central exchequer and anybody who believes that Property Tax is of benefit to local services is delusional.
    On the litter issue, the privatisation of the waste disposal services was another cop out by the local authorities on their obligation to provide local services. 10-15 years ago, waste disposal was a service provided by the local authority for free, paid for by direct taxation, it went from that to a set charge, then to private hands. In that time the cost of waste disposal has risen exponentially as has the instance of fly tipping, it is conceivably costing the council as much today to combat the litter problem as it was costing to provide the bin service but the result is, that once again the taxpayer is paying twice, much the same is in the pipeline for water when it is privatised.
    The new pay by weight system is only going to add to the problem of fly tipping and the idea of each resident in the county supplying a lock for their own bin is ludicrous, are the binmen going to carry a spare key? are we going to have to stay at home on bin day to open the locks at whatever time the binmen decide to come? You only have to expand that to see just how ridiculous a prospect that is. The question I would be asking is, who is going to be responsible for calibrating the scales on the trucks? how can we be sure unscrupulous service providers won't be adding weight to our bins to maximise their profit? It's just another example of measures being put in place in the country without being thought through and with little danger of anybody being held accountable in the event of fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

This is the one. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.fusio.necl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Travelling across from Scarawalsh to Milehouse and the lads on the CE scheme had done a great job picking litter last week,today some bollix threw a tv into the ditch.It's like trying to hold the tide back with a rake.I wouldn't mind but the recycling centre takes them for free.
    The announcement of new charges in July will just make dumping worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

These tossers should get the book thrown at them if caught

Hear on the wireless that Wexford CC are spending 2.6 million per year cleaning up dumped rubbish,yet the Government are bringing in pay by weight and charging for recycling.
    Madness of the highest order.Every roadway in the county is destroyed and they haven't the wit to see pay by weight will worsen the problem.
    Wexford CC I believe for what it's worth have officially objected to the plan,but of course we'll continue with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

Rubbish collection should be free and funded by a 1c levy on every piece of packaging sold (collected by retailers just like the plastic bags).

Any number of solutions,but incentivising dumping ain't one of them.

Advertisement