Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking Club Classics #1 Mona's Veg Lasagne

Options
  • 15-01-2016 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

This is a favourite recipe of mine. I don't eat a lot of meat, but my boyfriend won't consider a plate without meat to be a meal so this is frequently used in my house as a nutritious side dish to left over roast chicken or something beige from the freezer. Obviously it's perfect as it is for dinner, and I also think it makes a great lunch.

Ingredients
    2 courgettes
    3 carrots
    1 punnet of mushrooms
    3 medium white onions
    1 pepper (I like yellow, for a different colour)
    Bag of spinach
    Oil for frying
    Garlic (I use the tube, so about 1 teaspoon)
    500g of passata
    Italian herbs (I used dried oregano and basil)
    Philadelphia
    Milk
    Lasagne sheets
    Cheese for topping
    200ml of chicken stock

The mushrooms, onions and peppers should be thinly sliced. The courgettes and carrots should be peeled into ribbons using a vegetable peeler. You can of course opt for chunkier veg and chop everything, but I like the texture of everything being so fine.
    Heat the oil in a pan. Add the onions until they've softened. Sauté the mushrooms until the have released their water, and then add the courgettes, carrots and peppers.
    Leave to simmer for ten minutes or so. Add the passata and stock, season with dried herbs and pepper to taste, and simmer for at least 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook the spinach in a small amount of water and once it has wilted, drain and squeeze thoroughly. To this I add a generous spoonful of Philadelphia and some milk to make it creamy.

Then it's ready to assemble. I like plenty of pasta so my layers tend to be quite thin.
    I don't stack this traditionally. First layer is just some tomato juice along the Base of the dish. Followed by pasta. Then a layer of ragu. Pasta. Ragu. Pasta. All the spinach mix. Pasta. Ragu. Pasta. Ragu. Cheese.

Not a traditional recipe and it doesn't have you be eaten in a traditional way, can be as a side etc, but it's a great way of getting some veg into you!

Advertisement