Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career advice

Options
  • 15-01-2013 1:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hello

I don't know if this is the right section but ill ask anyway. At the moment I am doing a digital media course which consists of everything from web to 3D. Anyway I really enjoy 3D modeling with programs like max.

I was just wondering if a career in such a program is viable? Is there good job opportunities in such a field? Now i'm not just talking about just game developement,Is there other jobs which 3D modeling plays a role in?

Sorry if my questions are pretty vague. Just that i'm hitting 24 this year and im really struggling to find a sort of career I could see myself in. 3D has just caught my eye but its seems hard to get into the industry or that its over saturated as alot of work seems to be free lance or small contracts.

Thanks for any replys!

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 1,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭satchmo

Dunno why nobody has replied to this - maybe you'd get a better response in the digital arts forum?

Anyway, yeah I would guess the main jobs for 3D modellers are in either the game or TV/film industry. Visual effects houses use lots of artists, although I've never worked on film so I don't know what the ratio of modellers to texturers/compositors/others is. I do work in games though, and we use lots of 3D modellers. However as you said it's fairly competitive, and the number of jobs in Ireland are relatively small at the moment so you might have to consider travelling abroad if you want to get decent experience.

You also might get a better response over on gamedevelopers.ie, as there are a few 3D modellers there.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭jamiemc

engineering, product design, and all the upcoming 3d printer stuff :)

so yes, definitely, the skills are very transferrable across sectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

If you have a portfolio, get it out there. Linkedin and cgsociety.org are 2 sites off the top of my head that could attract employment.

Advertisement