Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double Bass drum dilemma.

Options
  • 03-12-2004 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. I bought a double bass pedal a while back and am having a little problem with playing. I am practising and all that but find it hard to keep balance when sitting. My body keeps wanting to lean back which is uncomfortable and disrupts a little. Any tips or tricks?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Higher your seating position, raise the stool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

The Doc is right there.
    Also make sure your bass drum is not directly in front of you, rather that it is facing north west, rather than north..*get my meaning?* it's crucial for the ergonomics of the body that your legs should be facing north west and north east and be comfortable at it, that way your natural balance will be in the centre and your feet will be at balancing points on the pedals.
    If not,,,,your back will be constantly twisted from a natural posture. Also as Doc says adjust the seat, make sure your knees are below your waiste,,not level with the hips etc. After that it's all practise and patience, I remember when I first got mine I wasn't used to it at all¬!..felt slow, clumsy and uncomfortable,,,so I brought my stool into my sitting room *don't tell the wife!:)* sat in front of the sofa, and set up the pedals so the end of the move was against the 2 sofas at the right angles etc,,,read a bit and kept tapping away and increased speed strength etc....never looked back...mind you I 'm still no Neil Peart/ Sean reinhart!
    but it's better these days....

ciao' amigo...Baggio.............

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

Good points from the doc and baggio.

My ickle tip is to use the balls of your feed (i.e. heel up method) on your pedals. try and postion the balls of your feet around the top half of the footboard (i use DW pedals and i put my feet right inbetween the DW logo on the footboard). It gives you greater control and speed methinks

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Thanks guys. Was thinking the height was part of it. Am sitting low at the moment also not used to having to actually lift my foot straight away to allow for the second pedal on the skin (bad single bass qualities) and get tired quickly.
    Double pedal in the sitting room? Sure they'll love that at home :D

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭edson

Baggio wrote:
    Also make sure your bass drum is not directly in front of you, rather that it is facing north west, rather than north..*get my meaning?

wouldn't that be for a lefty? (such as myself)
    and then north east for a right footed person?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

edson
    ,,,yes of course stupid me yes I meant generallly right foot to north east! thanx for spotting that one laughs

ciao Baggio..........

Advertisement