Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap piano keyboard instrument?

Options
  • 30-11-2004 12:16am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,
    I've been playing the piano for 12 years now. My piano is back in my parent's house, and bringing it to my flat is not going to happen. So I'm looking to buy a cheap keyboard instument which will get me as close to a piano sound as possible - I'm trying to stay away from cheap keyboards with about 200 other crappy sounds inbuilt.
    I'm not really interested in any other sound/effects - just a piano sound. Can anybody suggest any options I have?
    I'm just out of Uni and have a lot of bills/debts to pay, so my budget is very low - about €150 or so.

Can anybody suggest anything for me?

Thanks,
    S.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 markisevil

If you've already got a computer, try a good MIDI keyboard, like M-Audio's 49e, which is under €100, and find a decent free piano sample set (or two) on the 'net to use... swap between a grand piano and a toy piano, or alter the sound as you like it for classical or jazz... plus: headphones, if your neighbours complain. The keyboard feels good (my opinion) and is velocity-sensitive, so you can get a pretty complex sound...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

While you're talking bout where to buy keyboards, does anyone know where to buy digital pianos? I've outgrown my keyboard :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

waltons

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

markisevil,
    I do have a computer, with Creative's Audigy 2 Platinum, and MegaWorks 550 speakers - so I'm grand sound-wise :-)
    Thing is - I don't like midi, mainly because it sounds too artificial. Just not the real thing. For example, I've heard standard "keyboards" from about 5 years ago with better piano sounds than anything I've heard midi do. I understand that it's probably mainly the software/resources that I am using that's causing the main difference, but I'm not learnéd enough about the computer-music scene to avail of these facilities... I have Cubase SX, but I'm just getting used to it.

The MAIN thing is, however - none of the keyboards in my price range offer a decent octave range - the average in my price range is 49-keys or there abouts - I'm just looking for a "full" piano keyboard with no effects and crap like that etc.

Any suggestions, considering that information?
    Basically - large keyboard, good piano sound, not a piano :-) but midi is an option.
    What are my options? :-)
    Thanks very much,

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 markisevil

Well, I'm a bass player, so I only need the keyboard keys in the middle and on the right-hand side, and not the full 88...

Looking at the catalogue from the local music shop doesn't throw up any 88'ers for a reasonable price (although there is a lovely Yamaha P60S stage piano for around €1060). You might find a 61-key keyboard, though.

How about trying second-hand?

• Advertisement
Advertisement