Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Technology in Schools

Options
  • 23-04-2014 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

I'm a big advocate of technology in schools and on the back of a comment in another thread about lack of resources I thought it might be interesting to see what schools have.

We're pretty good. Decent broadband and devices though the computer rooms are very oversubscribed. We do have ipads in use in first year so I'd say that will ease up in the coming years

Technology in your school 161 votes

Portable Data Projectors
    0% 0 votes
    Static Projectors in every room
    5% 9 votes
    Static Projectors in most rooms
    13% 22 votes
    Static Projectors in some rooms
    4% 7 votes
    Computer room readily available
    0% 0 votes
    Computer room over subscribed
    6% 10 votes
    Computer in each Cassroom
    10% 17 votes
    Using Eportal
    11% 18 votes
    Using system similar to eportal for digital Roll call and management
    9% 15 votes
    Class set of Tablets available for use
    4% 8 votes
    Wireless Network in all rooms (decent broadband)
    0% 0 votes
    Wireless Network in all rooms (poor broadband)
    6% 11 votes
    Wireless Network in some rooms (decent broadband)
    1% 2 votes
    Wireless Network in some rooms (poor broadband)
    3% 5 votes
    Wired Network only
    1% 2 votes
    Laptops/Similar provided to all teachers
    6% 11 votes
    Laptops/Similar provided to some teachers
    7% 12 votes
    Teachers obliged to use their own laptop/devices
    3% 6 votes
    Tablets in use by at least one year group
    3% 6 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Primaries are very much the poor relation with broadband speeds and even connectivity , I have often had to cancel IT work with kids as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

We've fairly decent IT provision, our principal is pretty techy and fairly forward thinking. Our first years will have iPads from September and all the teachers got ours in February. Broadband is good and we've two decent computer rooms although we're a big school so getting in to them can be difficult at times. I would probably be one of the biggest users of technology although since getting the iPad I notice other teachers are trying and experimenting more. I'm often asked in the staff room if I'll show them how to do something or other and I think that's how it becomes more integrated into a school. Our IT coordinator is very good as well and is always encouraging people to try new things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

@OP You might want to add Interactive Whiteboards to your poll.

What are posters' opinions of tablets in classrooms? I'm open to having my mind changed, but my initial reaction is that iPads are bloody expensive and have quite short working-lives, and that the software, though improving, still greatly lags behind what the hardware is capable of. The education system is usually very conservative, and I wonder has this type of technology not been adopted too early.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

I've had training on the iPads whilst subbing in one school and my nephew is starting into first year with an iPad next yr.
    The more I enquire about them and see them in action - my friend also uses them in her school and I know of a few other teachers using them too - the more I conclude they're great for the teachers to have but the benefits of students having them seem to be very limited or minimal at best. In a lot of cases they end up being glorified e books
    Some teachers really go to town with them and maximise their potential, but too few to justify the cost of them to students IMO

I can't see how the schools that have introduced them will/can row back now though?

I'd be happy with a data projector and computer in my current school/classroom :-( But I do acknowledge most rooms have them, just not all

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

I teach one student who uses an iPad for SEN reasons. It hasn't been provided by the school and I don't have any training in teaching with these devices. It's great that she can take pictures of textbook questions as most students don't have access to the textbooks outside lessons. Recently I was very annoyed to find her playing a game when she was supposed to be attempting questions. When students buy iPads through the school, do they come with specific software and an ability to block non educational apps?

I'd love to know other teachers views on the availability of Interactive Whiteboards. I'd feel lost without mine! And not just because I'd have to start buying markers again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Well thought out article on I-pads in schools: http://193.1.33.6/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?id=494

Advertisement