Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Change of Career

• 22-04-2014 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hope ye can help me here.
    I am looking into a change in Career not by choice but by the current economic situation. (like everyone else) I was in construction but now looking for something different. I am in my mid thirties and have a National Diploma in Architectural Technology. How would I go about looking into teaching either primary or secondary? I am in Munster. Sound very vague but trying to look at different situations where i can get back on track.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Read the following recent threads first:

Subjects

Message to wannabee teachers

Applying for teaching

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89502859

At a minimum you need a degree in at least one teachable subject and the two year Masters in Education to teach at 2nd level.

You need a degree and the conversion DIP or a full Primary Teaching Degree for teaching at Primary level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Sin e

Thank you will get through those posts. At a glance it doesnt look sweet but to be honest anything must be better that self employed at the moment. No dependable income, no dole if I give up, no holidays, no time off, work comes home, no chance of credit, late hours for nothing in return just stress and more stress. :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Well some of that isn't going to change. Teaching has been seriously casualized; you won't have any job security at all for several years at the very minimum, assuming you get work at all when you qualify. It's a high stress environment if you are a passionate teacher. Planning and preparation takes way in excess of the perceived time by others. The profession is vilified by large sections of society and media in recent years

Having said all that I love teaching, it's in the blood so to speak. You have the awful discouraging moments when you are in your sixth/seventh/eighth... year qualified and still have no job security but there are great moments with students too and those are the important ones.

I will say I don't expect to make it to the end of my career life and still be teaching-at the current rate of work I'll have burnt out or moved on

Edit: Also you are entitled to dole as self employed, it's just means tested. Jobs seekers benefit does not apply but jobs seekers allowance does

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Ferg29

Can't speak for primary teaching but I wouldn't recommend anyone on becoming a secondary teacher...especially if you're looking for stable work. Been in 10 schools in 4 years on a casual/subbing basis. Nightmare. Looking for work outside of the profession now.

Advertisement