Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a new mini pump...suggestions?

Options
  • 01-04-2014 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

Looking to buy a new mini pump to carry on bike.
    Have twice bought a cheapy BB pump and twice when called apon, I had problems fitting and pumping the tube.

Had a puncture out last weekend and struggled to get air into the new tube, then little lever snapped off and finally the handle came off pump :mad:
    Thankfully a vehicle stopped and an unknown fellow cyclist hopped out with a foot pump to save the day :)
    To the man in the black 4x4...I'm eternally grateful :D

Alternative mini pump suggestions welcome...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Diggabot

lismore7 wrote: »
    Looking to buy a new mini pump to carry on bike.
    Have twice bought a cheapy BB pump and twice when called apon, I had problems fitting and pumping the tube.

Had a puncture out last weekend and struggled to get air into the new tube, then little lever snapped off and finally the handle came off pump :mad:
    Thankfully a vehicle stopped and an unknown fellow cyclist hopped out with a foot pump to save the day :)
    To the man in the black 4x4...I'm eternally grateful :D

Alternative mini pump suggestions welcome...

I use a small co2 pump. No messing, fully inflates the tube in seconds. I carry two canisters with me on a ride, had to use one today!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭no1murray

Ill second co2. Forget about mini pumps they will break you heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Topeak Pocket Rocket. Works up to 160 psi. Great piece of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭cassette50

Lezyne Pressure Drive Mini Pump - great little pump and you don't need to have arms like Popeye to inflate the tire.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lismore7

Pinch Flat wrote: »

Have you had good use out of it? i.e. Is it fairly durable?

• Advertisement

cassette50 wrote: »
    Lezyne Pressure Drive Mini Pump - great little pump and you don't need to have arms like Popeye to inflate the tire.

I just checked that pump out on chainreactioncycles.com
    It's expensive compared to others but got a high rating of 4.7 outa 5 from 55 customers...suppose you get what you pay for...

Have you had good use out of it? i.e. Is it fairly durable?

Used it last night on the way home. Inflates the tyre so well, I don't have to use the track pump. It's well made and feels quality.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-pocket-rocket-pump/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭darkvalley

I have this one which I got in Halfords. Great little pump which I have used several times. Pressure gauge is not the best or most accurate though but can't fault the pump
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_700343_langId_-1_categoryId_212494

Thanks guys..all good sound advice as usual... cheers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

+1 on this pump. Had mine since 2009 and it's still working perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭Invincible

Have a Lezyne Road Drive Mini ABS (large), max rating 160psi, cost €42, comes with bracket, but lives in jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

+1 on the Lezyne although I didn't like the mounting bracket that came with it. I used an old bracket that came with a mini Specialized pump. The pump was rubbish but the bracket was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭conkennedy

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

+1 on Lezyne

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Niall_1

I've got a lezyne road drive and would recommend it highly (not sure what the difference is to the lezyne pressure drive?).
    Personally I prefer a pump that has a hose as it places less strain on the valve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Enduro

Cheap and brilliant, very comfortable to use, and pumps up high pressures easily. I find I have far less need of a track pump when I have this as my mobile pump. IMHO it is better constructed than the topeak equivalents (lasted about 4 times longer).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Enduro wrote: »
    Cheap and brilliant, very comfortable to use, and pumps up high pressures easily. I find I have far less need of a track pump when I have this as my mobile pump. IMHO it is better constructed than the topeak equivalents (lasted about 4 times longer).

I have older version of this, at least 5 years. Had to use in dark at top of Comeraghs about 4 weeks ago, excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Enduro wrote: »

That looks the biz. It has a foot stirrup, like a mini track pump!

Ordered one from CRC earlier when I was, eh... working.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,957 ✭✭✭G1032

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Muckers

+1 to that.

There's only way to sort this out - one team of topeak pocket rockets, one team lezyne minis, armed with nothing other than their respective pumps - Fight to the death :)

Decision made....I've gone for the Lezyny from CRC.

Interestingly, the vast majority of comments were either the Topeak or Lezyny ...despite the large variety of mini pumps out there...

Anythings better than my dodgy, none functioning, broken handled and low pressure plastic BB mini pump....

Anythings better than my dodgy, none functioning, broken handled and low pressure plastic BB mini pump....

That's the key. I've been stuck in the middle of nowhere with a crappy pump. Having the confidence to be able to get you going with the right pressure is key.

That's the key. I've been stuck in the middle of nowhere with a crappy pump. Having the confidence to be able to get you going with the right pressure is key.

Sure is....
    No point in bringing along 2 spare tubes & tyre levers etc, only to find your pump won't work :mad: and in the middle of nowhere..... never popular to ring wife in those situations....:mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I went for the lifeline carbon mini pump which I've found excellent. I find it is much less work using the T shape handle on a mini pump than an in-line handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Sorry to hijack the thread, but how do you know if you pumped your tire enough/too much? Is it worth buying a pressure gauge?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

.ak wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but how do you know if you pumped your tire enough/too much? Is it worth buying a pressure gauge?

I've a track pump with gauge back at the house, but IMO you don't need one with a mini pump on the road. Just pump it hard enough that you can't depress the side walls with your fingers (as the bishop said to the actress).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭Ryath

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/topeak-joe-blow-max-ii-track-pump/rp-prod4949

Get one of these or similar

Keeping tires at appropriate pressure for you weight is the best thing for preventing punctures and helps with comfert if you don't run them at too high a pressure. You should check at least once a week with butly tubes I run latex tubes though and check nearly every ride.

• Advertisement

After a while you get to know the feel of your trye when fully inflated and as your only using the mini pump to get you home (after a puncture) being a few psi out, isn't going to do much harm. Then check the pressues when back at base camp on the big pump with the gauge...

Advertisement