Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Bike Service in Dublin

Options
  • 26-03-2014 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been done to death already.

Bought myself a road bike before Christmas on the cycle to work scheme. Was originally just going to use it as a commuter/odd spin at the weekend.

Instead I absolutely fell in love with cycling, got all the gear (clipless pedals, GPS, flashy lights, e.t.c) and hopped on the back at every moment I could.

Unfortunately my passion for the bike has not yet extended into the area of bike maintenance. My knowledge of maintaining my beaut in good nick is pretty poor although this is something I am determined to address over the next few months.

In the meantime, where would you knowledgeable folk get your bikes serviced in Dublin? I have found that it doesn't seem to be running as smoothly as it did and it is really taking away from my enjoyment.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Did you check was a service included when you bought the bike?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

No better time to learn than now.

I actually have no idea what's included in a bike service by a shop, but if you don't regularly clean your drive train and adjust your gears that would be a good start. It really doesn't take long to learn.

This is about as difficult as it gets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQncKmddahk

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

It'd be unusual for a shop not to at least offer a 6 week gear adjustment. New cables stretch so they're guaranteed to need adjusting after some use.

check with the supplier. Where did you get the bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 conorpass

The shop where you bought your bike should have asked you to call back after a few weeks for a safety check, including any tweaking/adjustment of gears/brakes. As previous poster said it is normal for new cables to stretch and require adjustment.

Apart from that, if you are looking for a recommendation for a service from a bike shop on the northside, my vote goes to Top Bicycle Shop, Clontarf (on the coast road near the wooden bridge). Really good service. No connection other than a regular and satisfied customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Stollaire

conorpass wrote: »
    The shop where you bought your bike should have asked you to call back after a few weeks for a safety check, including any tweaking/adjustment of gears/brakes. As previous poster said it is normal for new cables to stretch and require adjustment.

Apart from that, if you are looking for a recommendation for a service from a bike shop on the northside, my vote goes to Top Bicycle Shop, Clontarf (on the coast road near the wooden bridge). Really good service. No connection other than a regular and satisfied customer.

I'd concur with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

Bee Cycles on the South Circular would get my vote.

No connection other than a very satisfied customer across a number of bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭MRledzepo

if you're located near palmerstown get down to wheelspin beside super value , built a fixie last november dropped in the bike and the lad there put on the crank set , chain , wheels , near bearing in my headset/forks , and put on a front brake and managed to dig out a pair of old front callipers out of a huge box of old parts , cost me 17 quid altogether , they fix cars and the works aswell , they're sound lads and are independent 100% wouldnt think of going anywhere else

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I dropped in a bike to the Bike Institute on Dorset St. not so long ago as I had a problem and asked them to check it and give it a service while there. They were pretty thorough and said I honestly didn't need as full a service as I thought just yet but still gave it a clean and regrease etc and made sure all cable were in order and the rest and charged me less than I expected. They do classes too and seem like they know their stuff and enjoy it

No connection to them, they along with City Cycles in cabra and Rothar in Phibsborough are just the handiest for me and if I need tubes or whatever I'd pop into whichever I'm nearest. City Cycles did some quick adjustments for free too recently, though I'd bought stuff the day before.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 MickeyTake

Bike Hub in Howth would be my pick. Always do an excellent job for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Thanks guys. The shop where I bought my bike is a bit out of the way for me.
    I might drop it off to the top bicycle shop then in Clontarf.

Definitely going to sit down one day and dedicate a few hours to learning how to do some minor adjustments myself.

Aaron

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭fab5

Cyclesuperstore's workshop lads are excellent just had my bike fitted with a new Groupset, Which they turned around in less that 24hr. I've had many bikes service with them over the years also very obliging when I ask tech question...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

MRledzepo wrote: »
    if you're located near palmerstown get down to wheelspin beside super value , built a fixie last november dropped in the bike and the lad there put on the crank set , chain , wheels , near bearing in my headset/forks , and put on a front brake and managed to dig out a pair of old front callipers out of a huge box of old parts , cost me 17 quid altogether , they fix cars and the works aswell , they're sound lads and are independent 100% wouldnt think of going anywhere else

They built a bike for €17? Not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Humphries Cycles in Finglas and Richies Cycles in Swords would be my 2 recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Pope John 11

http://www.fitzcycles.ie/p/2034/free-lifetime-servicing

Was looking at getting a new bike and called here during the week. They offer free servicing on their new bikes for life, just a thought when buying a new bike.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

http://www.fitzcycles.ie/p/2034/free-lifetime-servicing

Was looking at getting a new bike and called here during the week. They offer free servicing on their new bikes for life, just a thought when buying a new bike.

So do wheel worx

They also have half price servicing on at the moment

Advertisement