Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Mellor wrote: »
    For people saying Chael was cruising to a win the second fight if not for the spinning elbow are over looking something massive.

Sonnen had a perfect round 1, instant TD and kept Silva there.

Round 2 was very diffetent even before the spinning elbow. Because Silva stuffed the takedowns 3 for 3. Without that he was goosed. That's what really lost the fight. No TDs meant he had nothing. Spinning elbow was a despartion move.

+1 I was rooting for him big time but during that second round a horrible realisation came over me that he had no hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,601 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Davei141 wrote: »
    +1 I was rooting for him big time but during that second round a horrible realisation came over me that he had no hope.

Silva landed more significant strikes, in that partial round on the feet, than Sonnen did in control the entire first round

I met aussie UFC fighter Richie Walsh (from TUF nations) this morning.
    He was telling me that both his parents were originally from ireland, moving over before he was born.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I met aussie UFC fighter Richie Walsh (from TUF nations) this morning.
    He was telling me that both his parents were originally from ireland, moving over before he was born.
    Seems like a really nice guy from what I saw on TUF:Nations. Did he say when will be fighting in the UFC?

Seems like a really nice guy from what I saw on TUF:Nations. Did he say when will be fighting in the UFC?

Yeah he was really sound. Talked about the house and how they trained.
    He fought on the finale, won by decision but nothing else lined up yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭p to the e

Don't know where else to put this. So One FC finished and this happened. You gotta love the modified ruleset.

Majee_Overall___vs.___Bruno_Pucci.gif
    Also Ben Askren remains undefeated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

For people saying Chael was cruising to a win the second fight if not for the spinning elbow are over looking something massive.

Sonnen had a perfect round 1, instant TD and kept Silva there.

Round 2 was very diffetent even before the spinning elbow. Because Silva stuffed the takedowns 3 for 3. Without that he was goosed. That's what really lost the fight. No TDs meant he had nothing. Spinning elbow was a despartion move.

Yeah, Silva avoided at least one takedown by holding Chaels shorts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭weemcd

Lot of rumors flying about that Wanderlei is cut from the UFC for missing the test.

He put this video up. I want to believe what he says, but I'm not sure I do.

weemcd wrote: »
    Lot of rumors flying about that Wanderlei is cut from the UFC for missing the test.

He put this video up. I want to believe what he says, but I'm not sure I do.

Hes a complete spoofer. Not even his biggest fans believe his crap anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭weemcd

Not that I speak Portuguese or anything but his body language, posture, everything indicates lies to me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

p to the e wrote: »
    Don't know where else to put this. So One FC finished and this happened. You gotta love the modified ruleset.

Majee_Overall___vs.___Bruno_Pucci.gif
    Also Ben Askren remains undefeated.
    I wonder if we will see a major overall in the UFC rules in the near future?

Re spoiler:
    And by submission too, soon I wont be able to use my Boring Ben picture anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Wandy has always been one of my favourite fighters, the guy is a legend BUT he's fast becoming a joke and staining whatever Legacy he had.

I've seen the video of him and i don't believe him at all, he was gonna fail the piss test and that's why he legged it.

As for Chael, like him or loath him (and i fcukin love him), ya gotta give the guy his dues, he won't back away from ANY fight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I'm confused is Wandy saying the fight is going ahead on July 5th?

dave1982 wrote: »
    I'm confused is Wandy saying the fight is going ahead on July 5th?

yeah, he's saying it's still going ahead, but Zuffa, NSAC and Chael say it isn't

I know which one i'll be believing ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Not sure how I feel about kicks on the ground.

Anyway, does anyone here have FightPass is it worth getting as someone who is only just starting to follow UFC?

• Advertisement

Well there's no such thing as UFC rules. So they have no power to change anything atm.

Well there's no such thing as UFC rules. So they have no power to change anything atm.
    http://www.cagepotato.com/brutal-ko-of-the-day-major-overall-destroys-bruno-pucci-via-soccer-kick-at-onefc-16-gif/ ;)

Not sure why you're re-posting the same gif.
    You realise that fight was in Singapore where soccer kicks are legal, right?

Did you read the article? Or even just the headline ;)

Did you read the article? Or even just the headline ;)
    I read it. There was nothing there that I didn't already know. I'm honestly not sure what your point is.

There's no such thing as "UFC rules". The rules are regulated by the athletic commissions. They've no control over illegal moves. That was the point I was making.

One FC operates in Asia, were there is little regulation, soccer kicks are allowed, and afaik has always have been allowed.
    Technically, UFC could hold an event in Singapore that had soccer kicks, but that'd be promotional suicude in the grand scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Is it not just "unified rules" UFC go under, no matter where the go.Think they went to Japan and fought under unified rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

Head kicking an opponent whilst grounded should be illegal in any sort of combat fighting, disgraceful it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

UFC Berlin:
    What a fcukin performance by Mousasi!

I read it. There was nothing there that I didn't already know. I'm honestly not sure what your point is.

There's no such thing as "UFC rules". The rules are regulated by the athletic commissions. They've no control over illegal moves. That was the point I was making.

One FC operates in Asia, were there is little regulation, soccer kicks are allowed, and afaik has always have been allowed.
    Technically, UFC could hold an event in Singapore that had soccer kicks, but that'd be promotional suicude in the grand scheme.
    Ahem
    brutal-ko-of-the-day-major-overall-destroys-bruno-pucci-via-soccer-kick-at-onefc-16-gif/

Ahem
    ???
    How can you not grasp that the UFC and OneFC are different organisations.

Maybe try and respond with a coherent sentence instead of :rolleyes: and a link to a article you don't understand.

???
    How can you not grasp that the UFC and OneFC are different organisations.

Maybe try and respond with a coherent sentence instead of :rolleyes: and a link to a article you don't understand.
    Did you really read it? I'll have to spell it out so, what is the name of the guy in the gif doing the kick?

Re spoiler:
    And by submission too, soon I wont be able to use my Boring Ben picture anymore

Right. The joke isn't coming across. The guy delivering the kick is called Major Overall.

Get it?
    MAJOR OVERHAUL!!!!11

Terrible 'joke' that went on WAY too long.

Decent fights over all but thought Luke Barnatt was robbed. CB Dollaway was class that was a thoroughly entertaining fight, so was Peralta vs Jason. Stipe Miocic showed what a pathetic match up Maldonado was. All the booing during the Barnatt fight was so ignorant, what a bunch of clowns. The booing anytime a non-brazilian fighter is in a dominant position is so annoying, i hate Brazilian cards with a passion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Stev_o wrote: »
    Not sure how I feel about kicks on the ground.

Anyway, does anyone here have FightPass is it worth getting as someone who is only just starting to follow UFC?

I've got it and absolutely love it personally. The amount of content on it is staggering. Previous UFC events right from the beginning, WEC, Strikeforce and Pride fights/events.

I only really got into MMA around 2009 and it's nice to watch classic fights on demand.

My mates who are casual fans are coming to the UFC Dublin event and last night we were watching some of my favourite fights. Easy to navigate around and find fighters/fights with ease.

Definitely worth it imo anyway.

That_Guy wrote: »
    I've got it and absolutely love it personally. The amount of content on it is staggering. Previous UFC events right from the beginning, WEC, Strikeforce and Pride fights/events.

I only really got into MMA around 2009 and it's nice to watch classic fights on demand.

My mates who are casual fans are coming to the UFC Dublin event and last night we were watching some of my favourite fights. Easy to navigate around and find fighters/fights with ease.

Definitely worth it imo anyway.

Picked it up yesterday and seems great so far. Watched UFC Fight Night in Berlin then in Brazil. Was great.

If anything there seems to be so many Events and options I don't know where to begin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

Stev_o wrote: »
    Picked it up yesterday and seems great so far. Watched UFC Fight Night in Berlin then in Brazil. Was great.

If anything there seems to be so many Events and options I don't know where to begin.

What's the quality like?

Quality is typical of most premium streaming services. Starts off choopy for the first few seconds then get better and clearer after a few seconds. Dont know if it's quite HD but the picture is crisp, clean and the sound it good once your connection is anyway average.

Haven't gotten into any of the older cards/fights but almost of the recent cards have markers on the video timeline that indicate when the walkouts/tale of the tape/round starts. They even indicate when there are takedown/submission attempts and flurries. They can all be turned off too if you dont want to know that sort of thing.

The android app is very simiar in terms of functionality but is a little more cumbersome at times. Some UI problems on there but nothing that'll get in the way of you enjoying the fights.

loremolis wrote: »
    What's the quality like?

It's not 1080p sadly (Only the NFL Gamepass seems to have this and god did I get used to it :()

But it seems grand so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I actually had a dream last night that Gus knocked out Jones in the 1st round. Then I wake up to read Jones is refusing to fight Gus and wants DC instead.....

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/6/2/5774270/dana-white-jon-jones-wants-to-fight-daniel-cormier-not-alexander

272253_360234387387304_2001894713_o.jpg

Gus surely has to be next in line. I like Cormier and think he's well overdue his shot but Jones/Gustaffson I'm pretty sure Dana after a recent press conference that Jones/Gus II was up next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,256 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I know that Jones turned down the Gus fight before to fight Glover because he said he's already beaten Gus and wanted to beat someone he hadn't before............ but his attempted dodging of Gus this time is kind of making me think he might actually be a bit afraid to fight him! After all, Gus did leave him in hospital and out of action for a long time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

This reminding anyone of a potential Tito / Chuck I situation? The difference is they have already fought once. The UFC need to put their foot down and strip Jones, if he refuses to fight Gus. If they don't put their foot down then other fighters will be at this.

Jones is after making another video and deleting it but its making the rounds. Basically 'its my career not yours wah wah wah'.

I saw Gus's callout on facebook and comments are brilliant

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=664982526914890&id=292890170790796&set=a.310758149003998.73741.292890170790796

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭xtal191

Heres the video

• Advertisement

xtal191 wrote: »
    Heres the video

ARRRRGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

It's times like this i hate the charter of 'NO FIGHTER BASHING'

I cannot stand this guy, never have, never will

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

I prefer dickhead Jones too pretending to be nice Jones. :pac:

scudzilla wrote: »
    ARRRRGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

It's times like this i hate the charter of 'NO FIGHTER BASHING'

I cannot stand this guy, never have, never will

Can we have one thhread for one day to bash Jones and get it out of our system?

I'm playing the UFC demo and just managed this glitch where I launched him into the cage. If only games could be real life!

I don't get Jones. I love him as an athlete but dislike his attitude. If you're gonna post a video why not just keep it up there? Him taking it down makes him look quite silly now.

This place at the moment reminds me of the UFC Fight Club forums when Canada had it's first event, stupid questions galore

It's gonna get worse

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

It'll be Brock Lesnar all over again times a million.

I guess you have to take the rough with the smooth. Part of me always wants MMA to be a niche sport as I enjoy watching events the next day and easily avoiding spoilers. :D

This sorta reminds me of the favourite band ya love, ya go to the gigs in small and sweaty places, they're still playing the clubs, only like minded people are into them, THEN BOOM, they explode and no longer that little thing ya could keep in your pocket all to yourself.
    Part of ya is happy that they made it but part of ya still wants that underground scene back

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

You can all lay off the JJ bashing now, Gustafsson will take it from here.

JJ v Gus rematch booked for Sept 27 at UFC 178

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

loremolis wrote: »
    You can all lay off the JJ bashing now, Gustafsson will take it from here.

JJ v Gus rematch booked for Sept 27 at UFC 178

Link

Jon Jones vs. Alexander Gustafsson II set for UFC 178 in Toronto

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement