Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbook Advice

Options
  • 28-06-2014 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭

I'm going to be picking up a Macbook in the next 3-4 weeks, but I just want to check a few things. Budget wise, I'm about 1300 or so, and I can currently avail of the education rates until the end of August, small difference as they may be.

Currently looking at a Macbook Air 13' with 8gb ram, and 128gb SSD. This is mainly be used for general usage, and some web application/Spring development, though this is not going to be a daily driver for the machine usage.

The main query I have is about the RAM. The newer ones seem to not have upgradeable RAM, so it seems like I'll have to pay those crazy rates at purchase if this seems correct?

Is there any reason that I should just go for the Macbook Pro 13 w/8gb RAM and Retina ahead of the air, other than the display? Would the 500gb Macbook Pro be a viable option also, even though it's not been updated for a while?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

The only MacBook with user upgradable RAM is the non retina Pro, which is a shame. Its also at end of life. But it's still a great machine if you don't care about the latest bells and whistles and want the option to upgrade parts.

Personally I'd get the 13" rMBP over the Air as I prefer the form factor. Also 128GB isn't much but iirc you can replace the SSD module in all these Macs.

My usual recommendation is get the Air if you travel a lot and need the epic battery life. Get the rMBP if you do a lot of visual stuff that will utilise the screen. Get the older model if you really want to upgrade parts on the cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I'd go for the Pro with retina..it's a fantastic machine. The Mac Air is no slouch either though.
    I have both (missus had the latest MacAir and I have the retina mac pro ) and they're both extremely fast. I haven't really pushed the pro so no doubt the extra ram will play a part but for college I reckon the mac air is perfect.
    If you can't get the 256gb model pick up a nifty drive for them which plugs into your SD port and sits flush. Stick in a 64gb micro SD card and you're sorted.
    http://store.apple.com/ie/product/HF156ZM/A/nifty-drives-minidrive-for-macbook-air?fnode=3437f95d3d28c655bad1c613c51c92389a5947cac90ab2e10d8336603cd0e8d96101641d8e329bdcbe7a0c31c3e76073c7d004670a1a14d16598563f04b08de3c318730ea9e0487f55a27f1366fe302ca1ae69d71afe6176fbdf4a94aa93ffe41d0b853c8d7dc4f03d7d5090c3df229a

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

On the retina pro, is another release imminent? Chances are I won't be getting it for a month.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

There's a rumour about new Macs with the new Intel Broadwell CPUs being out as early as August. However this may only apply to a ULV part that may end up in a fanless product.

I'll probably replace my venerable old 2010 13" MBP for a new rMBP then myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 hubba_bubba

chrislad wrote: »
    . Budget wise, I'm about 1300 or so

Chrislad if you know anybody headed stateside this summer who would be kind enough to pick you up a macbook you can save a significant amount of $$. You can get a 13 inch air, 8gb ram and 128 ssd, for $1,079 (€793) compared to €1129 here. That saving over €300. just saying if you knew someone who could bring one home you could save a substantial amount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Chrislad if you know anybody headed stateside this summer who would be kind enough to pick you up a macbook you can save a significant amount of $$. You can get a 13 inch air, 8gb ram and 128 ssd, for $1,079 (€793) compared to €1129 here. That saving over €300. just saying if you knew someone who could bring one home you could save a substantial amount.

Thanks, I was looking into that. I have an uncle who is back and forth a bit so that is definitely an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

I regret not getting my rMBP while my sister was in America in May. I honestly thought that the refresh wouldn't be too much longer at the time, and I said I'd wait it out because there's supposedly better battery performance with the new chips.

I still say if someone is in America go get it, you'll save a substantial bit. I'm gonna wait it out at this stage. It'll probably refresh in October.. even November, which is seriously annoying as I'll need it for college long before then.

Advertisement