Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am I mad to consider a career change to teaching

• 10-01-2011 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I've been reading through the forum about the lack of job prospects for teaching, its pretty depressing reading.

However, I am strongly considering going back to study for the PGDE in secondary school teaching. It would be the autumn of 2012 before I can start and would qualify in 2013.
    I'm just wondering am I mad to even consider it, as the possibility of getting a job at the end of it seems pretty bleak. Will things be any better in 2013?

I have a Degree and Masters in Microbiology and worked for several years as a Research Scientist in Biotech companies. However what I would really love to do is teach Maths/Science and Biology.

I currently in my early thirties would be mid thirties by the time I qualify.

Am I following a pipe dream?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

If you have the time and inclination to go back and study for a year for an alternative qualification, why not? Go for it. Certainly won't hurt to have it under your belt and you can then think about actually applying for jobs once you've got it.

I'm assuming you're not employed at the moment? Unless you are leaving a job or there are job offers available to you, it is ultimately up to yourself as to what career you want in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭higglepiggle

To be fair the jobs market for teaching although not what it was, at least it still exists!! Maths/Science teachers are always in demand espically with the drive to improve results in these areas due to demands of FDI companies etc etc. I am thinking about going back as well but with weaker subjects than a maths/science basis. If you look in the indo on thursdays there seems to still be a decent demand for them subject types, the only thing is that there are few permanent posts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 starlets11

Thanks for your feedback. Its encouraging to hear that the prospects for Science/Maths teachers is a little better.

I am in full time employment at the moment ( not permanent on a contract but in a job at the same time), so it would involve taking the leap and giving up my job.

However I do believe that where there is a will there is a way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭awny

starlets11 wrote: »
    Thanks for your feedback. Its encouraging to hear that the prospects for Science/Maths teachers is a little better.

I am in full time employment at the moment ( not permanent on a contract but in a job at the same time), so it would involve taking the leap and giving up my job.

However I do believe that where there is a will there is a way.

Starlets the only thing is you are probably not qualified to teach Maths. I would imagine with a degree in MicroBiology you could teach J.C Science and Biology to L.C? For Maths however you would need 30% of your degree to be Maths, relevant Maths. So you would probably looking for Science Teaching jobs moreso than Maths jobs and afaik there is less of a demand for Science teachers... don't mean to burst your bubble or anything but these are the things you need to know.

I do believe that I could study Maths as a 2nd subject as part of the H. Dip and teach it as far as Junior Cert. Well that is my understanding anyway but I could be wrong.

I am aware that it would be LC Biology and JC Science and hopefully Maths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭awny

Realistically in a school, you will probably would be given hours for JC Maths but you actually wouldnt be qualified to do so if ya get me?!?! Basically, the Teaching Council website has a list of degrees and the subject(s) these degrees entitle somebody to teach. All the subjects someone can teach are to Leaving Cert Higher Level. Nobody is recognised to teach anything to just Junior Cert anymore.

After you do your Dip, you register with the Teaching Council as a teacher. You will be a Biology teacher and hence a Science for JC but not a Maths teacher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I do believe that I could study Maths as a 2nd subject as part of the H. Dip and teach it as far as Junior Cert. Well that is my understanding anyway but I could be wrong.

I am aware that it would be LC Biology and JC Science and hopefully Maths.

Taking a subject in your PGDE does not qualify you to teach the subject. It only gives you the methods on how to teach it.

Everything awny said above is correct and none of the Microbiology degrees on the Teaching Council list are recognised for Maths - just Biology (and of course JC Science).

If you get a science job somewhere you might well be given maths once your in the school but you won't get hired for a maths and science job with no maths qualification. There are plenty out there who have both.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I did think that I would be qualified to teach Maths up to JC but there you go.

I suppose I will need a long hard think about it before taking the plunge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Like the way they told loads of Dips to do extra projects and classes last year just to make up their numbers and they'd be given certs in these areas. Us teachers were awaiting what those certs would be and they never ever appeared. They cannot change the subjects you are entitled to teach on the Dip, why would people go back to do half degrees or degrees if they could? Science isn't the worst though but be prepared to either move a great distance or be on a half contract which means half pay. All the teachers taken on for the past few years have been on pretty bad contracts in our school, they improve with time but it takes a while. That said, quality of life now I've kids is second to none.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Nadaur

OP............yes you would be MAD MAD MAD.....Why??The current and future conditions & pay, basically everything possible to dis-encourage the teachers of the future....new recruits are now tier 2 employees.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Thanks for the advice everyone, I did think that I would be qualified to teach Maths up to JC but there you go.

There is no such thing as being qualified to JC level. Either you're 100% qualified to HL LC or you're 0% qualified.

That doesn't mean a principal won't give you JC hours if you're already a teacher there. It just means you can't apply for a job if you're not qualified, CV will soar into the bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭ttmd

Hey guys I am also considering this.

I have a degree in Pharmacy, but tbh I would love to teach maths and chemistry/biology. Is there any way I could start make this happen?

For instance doing a maths degree while I am working as a chem teacher?

I think I would be a good teacher, but I have been put off by how hard people are saying it is to get a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

have a look at nui maynooth who are offering a new part time masters in maths education. Not sure if your course or the fact you are not already teaching maths will be an issue though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ddeer

Hi,

I just came across your post and I'm in the same boat at the moment. I am a qualified pharmacist but considering a career change to teaching with an interest in becoming a science/physics/chem/bio teacher.

I am really interested to know if you pursued it and if so how you went about it. Is our pharmacy degree recognised by the teaching council?

Please please give me some advice if you can
    ttmd wrote: »
    Hey guys I am also considering this.

I have a degree in Pharmacy, but tbh I would love to teach maths and chemistry/biology. Is there any way I could start make this happen?

For instance doing a maths degree while I am working as a chem teacher?

I think I would be a good teacher, but I have been put off by how hard people are saying it is to get a job.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Ddeer wrote: »
    Hi,

I just came across your post and I'm in the same boat at the moment. I am a qualified pharmacist but considering a career change to teaching with an interest in becoming a science/physics/chem/bio teacher.

I am really interested to know if you pursued it and if so how you went about it. Is our pharmacy degree recognised by the teaching council?

Please please give me some advice if you can

The teaching council used have a link to a pdf document on its site that told you exactly what degrees would qualify you. I know a good few people who have made the move to teaching recently. Most don't regret it yet (few do), but there's only so long one can survive on half hours (look up salary scales and divide by two. Roughly €15k per annum).

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ddeer

Thanks for the tip. I've heard of friends of friends who have switched from pharmacy to teaching but can't seem to be able to find out for definite.
    Any help or advice would be great!!
    I'm weighing up the salary in the long run, and could do locums to help while studying. Sounds cliche but I think work life balance is so important

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭acequion

With a masters in microbiology would you not consider lecturing? The pay and conditions in third level would also be better.

You did ask for people's opinions,so quite frankly, I think you're mad to consider teaching. The pay and conditions have greatly deteriorated in the last few years and the job has got much harder. I'm not sure how much prep and correction time your subjects would take,but mine [languages and English] take countless hours. I need to put in a few hours each evening after a day at school and also on weekends. Believe me,that does get very tedious and I disagree with the poster who said there's a good quality of life and it's pro family. It was like that once but not any more. Granted there are great holidays,but with the reform of the public service agenda very much in its stride,the erosion of holidays and any few remaining perks looks very likely.

Despite the above negativity, I actually enjoy the job,though I admit I am very demoralised. I wouldn't say no to a career change and would actually like to get into the private sector as I reckon it will be the place to be in the future. But then the grass always looks greener on the other side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

This is probably a really stupid question but can you teach a subject that you are not qualified in/recognised by the teaching council?

I'm doing the Chemistry stream of the Science Education degree in UCC and Declan Kennedy had said to us that we could teach maths and science for the junior cert and chemistry, physics and maths for the leaving cert because there were physics and maths elements to our degree. Looking at other posts here this might not be the case is it?
    I've already done some teaching practise in maths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

Depending on the school's needs, you could be asked to teach another subject if they're stuck...but in my opinion, it shouldn't be something you are depending on to get a job.

Looking at the brochure it looks to me like you would be qualified to teach LC Chemistry and JC Science. Can't see how you'd have enough credits in Physics and Chemistry to be qualified to teach all three to Leaving Cert.

I could easily be wrong with this so don't take it as gospel. Best get in contact with Teaching Council.

Am I right in saying you only did Maths modules in First Year and did 20 ECTS of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 gillmelly

Anyone going into teaching now must be a bit touched, or very naive.

Teachers are public enemy No. 1 in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Depending on the school's needs, you could be asked to teach another subject if they're stuck...but in my opinion, it shouldn't be something you are depending on to get a job.

Looking at the brochure it looks to me like you would be qualified to teach LC Chemistry and JC Science. Can't see how you'd have enough credits in Physics and Chemistry to be qualified to teach all three to Leaving Cert.

I could easily be wrong with this so don't take it as gospel. Best get in contact with Teaching Council.

Am I right in saying you only did Maths modules in First Year and did 20 ECTS of them?

Thanks a mil for the response! That leaflet is slightly changed since I started so I did 10 credits worth of Maths and 15 of physics in 1st year and then 5 credits of Physics and 5 of Maths last year.
    This is so annoying if what he said isn't true. I'll email them tomorrow. So if they principal needs a maths teacher I could teach? Would I get paid the same as if it was chemistry? Sorry if these are stupid questions :/

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Alqua

@Corkgirl, you would need 60 credits (AFAIK) of maths to be registered with the TC to teach it. Very unlikely you would be given maths hours over qualified maths teachers. It could happen even temporarily, if the school is stuck, but not something to pin your hopes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

Yes, you could be asked to teach JC Maths, or almost any other subject really, and yes you would be paid the same as teaching Chemistry. But realistically, I can't see it happening just because you have done 15 credits of Maths in 1st and 2nd year. It's really not enough for anyone to justify having you teach Maths, unless the school is very stuck. Someone telling you that you would be able to teach Maths to LC after that much Third Level Maths is a joke.

Two questions:
    1. Are you 100% sure he said you could teach all of those, rather than you think he did? (It just seems strange that someone would tell you something so misleading, if my understanding of the situation is correct!)

2. On deciding to put down this course on your CAO, what subjects did you believe you would be qualified to teach?

If you're in college, maybe check out if the Students' Union has a Career Guidance centre and call in to them as well as getting on to the Teaching Council. They might know more, considering I'm not familiar with the course.

Advertisement