Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters in Education

Options
  • 18-04-2014 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

I know that in certain parts of the world, a Masters in some aspect of education will significantly boost one's chances of getting a teaching job, and is seen as essential if one seeks promotional opportunities (such as they are). In America and the Middle East, positions above that of teacher regularly require applicants to have a Masters, and those teachers with such advanced qualifications are considered more atrtactive candidates.

Is this the case in Ireland? I'm living abroad, and have the time and resources to do an online Masters. I'm interested in many aspects of the course for their own sake, but it's a lot of investment for something that mightn't necessarily make it easier to find a job when I eventually return.

So- do advanced qualifications make a difference when seeking applications for teaching positions in Ireland. I'd particularly appreciate input from principals or those involved in the recruitment process.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

Well new applicants to teaching now need a level 9 - professional masters in education so I'm not sure if it will be the case in future. It was the case but it seems now everyone has one

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Well new applicants to teaching now need a level 9 - professional masters in education so I'm not sure if it will be the case in future. It was the case but it seems now everyone has one

That's only the case for teachers who do not have a teaching qualification as part of their undergraduate, level 8 degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Ellie11

Yes! But some principals are really impressed with a combination of degree & experience & English pg qualification. More confidence at interview over 17/18 year old who went B Ed route I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭teacherhead

Ellie11 wrote: »
    Yes! But some principals are really impressed with a combination of degree & experience & English pg qualification. More confidence at interview over 17/18 year old who went B Ed route I guess.

Or an element of 'I couldn't decide what I wanted to do but I like the summer holidays so I said I'd try teaching'.... Depends how you look at it....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Plenty go straight from degree to PDE without any meaningful experience too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

Which is better someone who always wanted to be a teacher and gets the required qualification straight of the bat versus someone who amasses a range of qualifications and experience and end up in teaching by default?

I'd say principals are really impressed by a person who has passion for teaching rather than someone who amasses a few more letters after their name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

donegal11 wrote: »
    Which is better someone who always wanted to be a teacher and gets the required qualification straight of the bat versus someone who amasses a range of qualifications and experience and end up in teaching by default?

I'd say principals are really impressed by a person who has passion for teaching rather than someone who amasses a few more letters after their name.

Both qualifications are exactly the same. What really matters is your ability to impress in the interview stage and your references. Extra qualifications are also important and do gain extra points if the point system is used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

donegal11 wrote: »

I don;t know about the 'perfect fit' idea. Where I teach there are a couple of teachers who went to the school, did their degree/hdip/teaching practice in the school and then jumped straight into teaching in the same school. Even though it sounds a bit 'institutionalised' they are actually great teachers, and then again we have a few teachers that have 'lived a little' before and after their degree and they seem to be getting on just fine too. I think it's a personality thing though that comes through in the interview regardless of letters. I reckon most teachers in our school got the masters after getting the job,

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Ellie11

[QUQuote:
    Originally Posted by Ellie11
    OTE=donegal11;90028416]Which is better someone who always wanted to be a teacher and gets the required qualification straight of the bat versus someone who amasses a range of qualifications and experience and end up in teaching by default?

I'd say principals are really impressed by a person who has passion for teaching rather than someone who amasses a few more letters after their name.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps I'm being misunderstood What I meant was that confidence generated by a varied background does not equal a greater ability than a twenty year old with an initial teaching qualification. Studying in another college or country may make you more "grown up" and may impress at a performance based interview but it does not make you a a better teacher.

Advertisement