Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who's in Abu Dhabi?

Options
  • 11-10-2012 5:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    I'm heading off to Abu Dhabi soon to teach for a year or two. Just waiting on my visa to come through- I've been waiting so long I'm beginning to think my very name must have sparked some alert on a terrorist watch list!!:D Just wondering is there anyone else over there, and what do you think of the place? Not sure where exactly I'll be based, but it'll either be AD city, al Ain, or the fun-sounding Western Desert Region.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Suckler

Abu Dhabi and Al Ain both have thriving Irish communities. Al Ain is a bit smaller a therefore closer irish contingent. Al Ain is a lovely city though. Only an hour roughly to either Dubai or Abu Dhabi for a weekend break.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

yeah but the west... now that would be boring.... really wouldn't like to end up somewhere like the liwa Oasis...

mayotom wrote: »
    yeah but the west... now that would be boring.... really wouldn't like to end up somewhere like the liwa Oasis...

It's a spectacular place to see, been ther a few times but living there could be hard alright. If its in another bigger town like Madinat Zayed it wouldn't be too bad, Abu Dhabi is about an hour away if I recall correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

True , but even Madinat would get boring quickly.

Yeah I'd agree, unless the OP is in to camle racing.....which I doubt:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I lucked out. I'm in al Ain. I'd rather have gotten Abu Dhabi, but I'd have taken the fiery pits of hell before the Western region! So anyone in al Ain? What's it like down there etc? Many Irish?

Einhard wrote: »
    I lucked out. I'm in al Ain. I'd rather have gotten Abu Dhabi, but I'd have taken the fiery pits of hell before the Western region! So anyone in al Ain? What's it like down there etc? Many Irish?

I wouldnt say you lucked out necessarily - Al ain is a beautiful city. Pretty much equal distance form Dubai or Abu Dhabi.

Smaller Irish contingent there but just as good craic! The have a GAA team started out there now. Try finding them on Facebook etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 punchie

I have just been given this area and do not want it can I refuse and what would the implications be help

Advertisement