Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky+: What would you do?

• 16-02-2005 9:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying Sky+ but am totally clueless about what to do?

Basically, I want to know what you guys would reccomend?

Should I buy it with mulitroom? Should I order it from Sky themselves? Should I self-install?

Just any answer or suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

My practical advice (having done it this way) is go through a local TV dealer/satellite installer.

It might cost a bit more than if you ordered it through Sky (but no more than €100), but you would get the install you want done.

Multiroom is upto you, if you really need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

I installed mine myself because the dish was very easily accessible, but if it involves much ladder-climbing I'd get the professionals in.

Haven't got multi-room. I reckon that's a decision you have to reach yourself. Is it worth it to you ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Don'ty have the multi-room, but I do have a wire going from the back of the Digi-box to another room. Same channel in both rooms, and no extra charge per month :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

I installed mine myself because the dish was very easily accessible, but if it involves much ladder-climbing I'd get the professionals in.

I don't quite understand what you mean.

Wouldn't the exsisting connections from the dish work with a Sky+ box, or do you need to get new cabling in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

You will need more cabling.

You see, the LNB at the end of your dish at the moment is a single LNB (one cable coming from it, into the house) With Sky +, you will get a Quad LNB (4 inputs), the Sky + box itself needs 2 of these inputs, but if you got Multiroom, it would require one of the remaining two inputs on the quad LNB.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dts

We are on our third house in five years and so are also on our third install. I have used sky direct using the phone number on the website to get the installs done. I also messed them around alot due to the new house not being completed when the builder promised it would be. Each time I have phoned Scotland the nice lady on the other end had no problems with changing the install dates. The welsh installer who covers Mullingar has been out to later install sky plus and every time I have had no issues and he did a great job.
    So what I am saying is there should be no problems with going to sky for you insall. I wanted to voice the good side of sky as the problem with sites like this one is you will only usuall here about the bad things.
    From a happy customer, :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Just a quick question: Can you pay the installer the price of Sky+ box, or do you have enough money in the bank for DD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

JBoyle4eva wrote:
    Just a quick question: Can you pay the installer the price of Sky+ box, or do you have enough money in the bank for DD?
    Sky will charge you as soon as you order the sky+, you don't pay the installer anything.

I would think long and hard before going thru sky direct. Read the threads on here before you decide.

Choose wisely young grasshopper :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I had Sky+ and Multiroom installed here a few months back and there was no problems with it. Arrived on the day requested, very tidy job (and as it happened it was the same guy who'd installed the dish when I moved in here 2 years ago, and who'd - for a few extra quid - ran a cable down the outside wall between floors so we could have it in both rooms :)).

Only problem was the fact that Sky were telling my Mirror sub apparently didn't cover my Prem+ subscription and insisting then they couldn't move it to the old box (which is now installed downstairs), but after some heated words the agent configured both cards as Sky+ cards and moved the Prem+ over that way (and I've recently noticed that it seems to be active on both cards for the last few games - anyone else noticed this?)

Aside from that though no complaints..very professional and quick installation :)

Advertisement