Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun bluing/black touch up

Options
  • 25-06-2015 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi everyone, I've an old shotgun with a wee spot of rust on the barrel, I've rubbed it with wire wool and there's a bare spot about half an inch. I've used perma blue on it but it came up blue of course. The problem is my barrel is a black finish not blue. What can I do to finish it black again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

As Dermot Morgan would say, it's not actually black, it's just very very very very very very dark blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Will_mck

Lol good old Dermot Morgan rip. Well i heated up the barrel a bit and applied four coats of perma blue but it hasn't darkened anywhere near enough. It has hidden tiny line scratches but a spot scratch it's as different as night and day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭lakesider

As Dermot Morgan would say, it's not actually black, it's just very very very very very very dark blue.

you must be dazed and confused mate cos yer wrong...and so is dermott

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Deaf git

I had the same issue with a rub mark on a 22 barrell. You won't be able to buy a product to give a blue/black on first application. The original job is a hot salts bath and you won't replicate that at home.
    I persevered with the Perma blue, time and time again. It works best if the steel is properly degreased and warmed. I stopped the bluing 10 mins after each application by washing with water then drying. I was nearly at the right shade after 30 applications but it never fully matched, but was good enough on a 60 year old 22 Walther.
    If you have a quality shotgun you should consider a professional reblue- but it's going to cost you.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Will_mck

Yeah I degreased the barrel with alcohol first, heated it up, applied perma blue,waited a few minutes and washed off with water. I'll keep applying more coats then see if that helps. You'd think there'd be something out on the market to fix this problem. Thanks all the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Zenner

I know this post is a month old or so. Just wondering if there is anyone in the republic doing full professional bluing and if so how much does one pay for be it double or single barel shotgun. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Burning Bridges

Zenner wrote: »
    I know this post is a month old or so. Just wondering if there is anyone in the republic doing full professional bluing and if so how much does one pay for be it double or single barel shotgun. ?

There is a guy in Clonmel I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Tommyaya4

There is a guy in Clonmel I believe

Gerry Gearon in clonmel 100 euro for a sxs and120 for an over n under his very good

Thanks, just wanted to get an idea as to costs. I'll check into that person/shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Any ideas on waiting times with Mr Gearon. I've gone for an old English Baker S/S, quality sleeving job has been done on it and has been reproofed and all but it could do with reblueing.

• Advertisement

Prob be best to drop him a call to find out. Knowing it's re-sleeved too. Process might cause some reaction to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Zenner wrote: »
    Prob be best to drop him a call to find out. Knowing it's re-sleeved too. Process might cause some reaction to that.

Slightly differences in steel between the original chambers/lump and the "new" barrels could be a bit of a practicality for the look of the final product I suppose.

Advertisement