Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Contraception

• 22-05-2008 4:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

My girlfriend hates condoms. She had bad side effects from the pill and other forms of contraception in the past and she'd far prefer to have sex without protection.

She feels that she can accurately predict when it's "safe" to have sex without using a condom.

My only worry is her getting pregnant. Do any girls here in a similar situation?

I know some people believe they can use this method of "contraception" and timing when they have their period and I know it's effectively rate is supposed to be somewhere between 80 - 98%.

Both of us have been tested for STIs and are clean.

And please don't bother posting replies saying that either my girlfriend or I are stupid/immature or whatever that a lot of people seem to like replying with.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Do you own research into it.

What type natrual family planning are you looking a using ?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_family_planning

Are you talking about the Rythym method or
    using tempeaure charts
    or buying a kit like the persona one ?

http://kidshealth.org/parent/growth/sexual_health/rhythm_method.html

http://www.accessdiagnostics.co.uk/acatalog/persona_starter_packs.html

Unless you are incredibly stringent about it chances are she will get pregnant.

What about the non horrormoanal contraceptive

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrier_contraceptive

Read as much as you can and get informed about what the options are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

I've been in the same position. The 'safe' period is unreliable and the chances of her getting pregnant are quite high. It's also making it entirely her responsibility, and many people have made a miscalculation in the heat of the moment. As she is the one with the side effects, I'd suggest she goes to a family planning clinic or a doctor and discusses it with them. They should have an alternative if there is one to be had. Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

just whip it out at the "time" problem solved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

just whip it out at the "time" problem solved

That is a problem due to the fact there are sperm present in the pre ejaculate
    and it only takes one to get her pregnant.

• I'd say the chances are pretty high - unless you'd be OK with having a child, I wouldn't even think about it. I don't know a single person my age (23) who used these 'natural' methods and didn't get pregnant. I have problems with contraception too - slightly allergic to condoms and get bad side effects from the Pill, but I put up with both because I can't have a baby right now. I had to come off the Pill for 6 months last year and we just didn't have sex at all. For me it just wasn't worth the risk, even using condoms. Maybe I just happen to know very unlucky teenagers and 20 somethings but I highly doubt the effectiveness of those methods is 80-98%. You can get pregnant at pretty much anytime of the month. It's your decision but it sounds like a bad idea to me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

No chance in hell would i allow that.... The risks are way too high, plsu there's only certain times you can have sex, where's the fun in that?

I don't like condoms either, but sometimes you just have to suck it up, no pun intended:)

Put it this way, wear condoms and be able to have sex any time, albeit less 'sensual'... Or try this method, enjoy condom free sex for a while, get pregnant and face the consequences. I think your girlfriend needs to reassess her priorities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Check out the Nuvaring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

can she get a coil , or maybe she subconsciously wants to get pregnant,or try the rythm method, tis great, if you want 5 kids.THERES no side effects from the coil ,since its basically just a piece of metal,i think, i,m not a doctor.
    SOUNDS strange to me cos, shes saying we can only do it on certain days of the month.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

gamer wrote: »
    .THERES no side effects from the coil ,since its basically just a piece of metal,i think, i,m not a doctor.
    Thats not correct, there are possible side effects to all methods of contraception, including the IUS.
    (Intrauterine System, or hormonal coil) Side-effects are uncommon. The progestogen released by the IUS mainly stays around the uterus and very little gets into the bloodstream. Therefore, side-effects are less common than with other progestogen forms of contraception such as the progestogen only pill and the contraceptive injection or implant. If side-effects do occur, they tend to develop just in the first 3-6 months, and then tend to ease and go. Examples of possible side-effects include: headaches, mood swings, weight gain, reduced sex drive, fluid retention, increase in acne, and breast discomfort.
    http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23069136/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for all the replies and reconfirming my thoughts.

Could a mod lock this thread now please?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

No chance in hell would i allow that.... The risks are way too high, plsu there's only certain times you can have sex, where's the fun in that?

I don't like condoms either, but sometimes you just have to suck it up, no pun intended:)

Put it this way, wear condoms and be able to have sex any time, albeit less 'sensual'... Or try this method, enjoy condom free sex for a while, get pregnant and face the consequences. I think your girlfriend needs to reassess her priorities.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

its very risky business altogether. your girlfriend can in no way guarantee you that she will not get pregnant from the natural method. unless you are happy to have a kid? head to a family planning clinic or the gp together to discuss your options.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement