Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking to pick your brains

• 05-08-2015 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hi lads,as the title suggests , if a gun club member has his gun licence stating the gun club lands on his application now if he leaves the club, ie doesn't renew his membership does the club have to notify the Gardai that he is no longer a member and would his licence be invalid or has anyone any links legally to this answer this question? Thanks glenbulldog

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

AFAIK once you are no longer entitled to the use of the land etc then your valid reason to own that firearm ceases, all the permissions both verbal and written are not worth a damn if they are not stated on your application or renewals.
    The club may inform the local Garda as to your status. I was at the clubs recent AGM where the committee informed the club body the district Garda where inquiring about active gun club members. I seem to remember the NARGC been mentioned, will confirm when I ring the mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭J.R.

Hi lads,as the title suggests , if a gun club member has his gun licence stating the gun club lands on his application now if he leaves the club, ie doesn't renew his membership does the club have to notify the Gardai that he is no longer a member and would his licence be invalid or has anyone any links legally to this answer this question? Thanks glenbulldog

Club secretary is obliged to notify Gardaí

NARGC advise to Gun Clubs

LAPSED MEMBERS – COURSE OF ACTION

http://nargc.ie/membership-structure/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

J.R. wrote: »

Yep, that's the one I was thinking of.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭German pointer

If the person that has left the club still wants to shoot all he needs is a letter of permission from a land owner and fill out the change in their renewal.

Personally I think it's a good idea for all lads to have seperate letters of permission as part of their good reason that way if the club brakes up or someone leaves the club his good reason is still valid.
    I have not put club membership down as good reason on any of my firearms applications except for an ammo increase for target shooting.
    That way if I leave a club my licences are still valid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

correct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Glenbulldog

Thank for the replies lads,I think it's a problem with a fella joining to get his licence then doesn't renew his club membership till the gun licence is due for renewal.thanks lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

That's just another way that the nargc use to get people to pay membership.
    It beggars belief the lengths the nargc go to to keep Crofton et al in the luxury they are accustomed to...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

What happens between an individual and AGS is no matter for a gunclub to stick it's nose in. If the Gardai make enquiries a club can reply by giving the requested information and ultimately through it's nominated spokesperson act as a witness in criminal proceedings when summonsed by the prosecution or defense.

All too often I've seen and heard people in the NARGC mistaking the organisations' point of view and internal regulations as equal to law.

If gunclub members have paid to stock,feed,vermin control ... Is this fair on the club members who pay their way year after year , and has a fella rambling around g/c land (who's no longer a member and has no permission ) , what do you do then?? It's not a case of the g/c sticking there nose in but more a point of minding their own patch.

Dawggone wrote: »
    It beggars belief the lengths the nargc go to to keep Crofton et al in the luxury they are accustomed to...

Putting aside the nargc,insurance..... what about the members who put the time and money in to get a club running right?

• Advertisement

Putting aside the nargc,insurance..... what about the members who put the time and money in to get a club running right?

Ultimately if a club doesn't own the shooting rights on the land it hunts there's pretty much sweet f a it can do about others hunting the same patch.

Anyone who lawfully hunts on lands with the owners' consent is entitled to do so unless someone other than the owner owns the sporting rights ( which is not the same as having permission or consent ). In that case the owner of the sporting rights decides who does and doesn't hunt the land.

Sporting rights form part of the title to the land and whoever owns them ( most of the time the landowner ) decides who hunts on the land or not. A club can deem it to be their patch but if a non member has permission or consent to hunt the same patch the club has no right to deny that person access.

Someone hunting on lands without permission or consent from the owner is a poacher, plain and simple. As a consequence that person would be committing a number of wildlife and firearms offences.

I understand what you're saying about shooting rights vs permission ,patch was probably the wrong term to use but I think you get what I was saying ,a couple of the landowners have given permission to a couple of lads outside the club and there's no problem there that's the landowners choice ,it's more so a case of how to handle the situation with the lad mentioned who doesn't have permission but uses the club to get his licence and to prevent anyone else from doing this in the future ,that's why I asked for legal links etc so future members (and existing) know where we stand on the matter , thanks for reply

If the person that has left the club still wants to shoot all he needs is a letter of permission from a land owner and fill out the change in their renewal.

Personally I think it's a good idea for all lads to have seperate letters of permission as part of their good reason that way if the club brakes up or someone leaves the club his good reason is still valid.
    I have not put club membership down as good reason on any of my firearms applications except for an ammo increase for target shooting.
    That way if I leave a club my licences are still valid

I'm the same as yourself I've none of my licences tied to the club , just happier to do that way .

If that individual is no longer a club member the club will have to notify him of such by registered letter. If after that you see him hunting lands for which you are sure he has no permission or consent to be on report to AGS and NPWS for poaching and be prepared to have witness statements recorded by AGS and ultimately be a witness in court when it comes to that. There's no point doing anything else as due process will have to be followed in cases like this.

Thanks for that it's good to know for future references this will be explained to all members so everyone's clear on it ,again thanks for the info and everyone's replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Dawggone wrote: »

Who are the et al that you write about in the above piece?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Who are the et al that you write about in the above piece?

The top brass. In fairness I'm gone from the nargc so long now I can't even remember their names.

Advertisement