Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nervous for no reason

• 21-05-2008 12:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hey all,my problem isnt really a serious one,just annoying ,and so would like to know if anyone else has felt like this and if so how they dealt with it

Im 27, have a good job,im an architect,actually love what i do,live in a good part of town with 2 flatmates who i get on with well...on a whole life couldnt really be much better.....however ive recently found myself feeling nervous about everyday situations, and my concentration seems to have deteriorated so excuse me if this thread comes across more as a ramble and is slightly incoherent.

The thought of speaking to people makes me nervous, like il have to play the conversation in my head before i say anything just to check if it'll be ok (i know this is weird) and il find myself worrying about the tinyest things like what il have for dinner this evening (why i worry about this ive no idea,it just doesnt make any sense)

So i find that my day is made up of me worrying,and even when its not conscious my body will be all tense.

With work my output isnt what it should be which frustrates me,even though my boss is very happy with what i do i know deep down that i could be so much better,but with the way i feel i just cant concentrate on the finer details as my mind is thinking of about 10 things at once.

The problem really is that i find myself living my life in my head, thinking of what i want to do,worry about what might happen if i do it etc etc...which means that i dont seem to get anything done and when i look back over my day il find that i just thought about things,rather than actually doing things.

Ive tried deep breathing and listening to relaxing music which helps a little but as i said my problem seems to be a sub conscious one with no apparent cause.

Would love to hear of anyone else who might have felt the same and am very open to suggestions on how to deal with it

Thanks for reading :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭Karen_*

Sounds like you're suffering anxiety or panic attacks. I don't know if its the exact same but a few years ago I found myself overcome with terror speaking to people or in meetings and it was affecting my work in that I couldn't speak in staff meetings or anything. I could have a one to one with someone but if it moved to the meeting room I was petrified. And it was irrational too, I didn't want to talk in front of people I knew really well and even counted as friends. And I didn't know why I was like this either.

I went to hypnosis which didn't seem to work before but I listened to the tape every night for weeks and gradually the problem dissappeared.

If I get anxious now I find that Bachs rescue remedy really is great. Perhaps get some and see does it make a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Sounds like all you need is a confidence boost OP, If you start to believe in yourself more, you'll probably stop questioning yourself in every aspect of life? What would make YOU feel better about yourself? Maybe getting fitter? learning a new skill? Perhaps a complete pampered holiday? All of the above are merely weapons though to help you combat this problem, which at the end of the day, is up to you to finally realise, you don't need it. You have an awful lot going for you, you should definitely find it easy to get the confidence back in life.

Hope this helps

Red

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

"The problem really is that i find myself living my life in my head, thinking of what i want to do,worry about what might happen if i do it etc etc...which means that i dont seem to get anything done and when i look back over my day il find that i just thought about things,rather than actually doing things."

Hi mate,

For that part it sounds like procrastination, something I suffer from myself. It's not un-common for people to constantly think about thing's all day and not get them done we all do it. You are probably going over thing's in your head so much that it leads to getting stressed out about it, do you work long hours in work?...It sounds to me like you are a little bit of a perfectionist, needing to have everything go exactly as you want it and having thing's planned in advance. Why take a weekend away from everything and everyone and try to relax, go to a spa, have a massage, a steam room and try to see what is making you so tense. Is there thing's going on in your personal life that might be affecting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Peeps7

Irishcrx seems to be on the button! I was the exact same as you around four months ago OP. I got really nervous and worked up about the doing the smallest things. Im in college and it really started effecting my work! As I didnt seem to do much about it I would make myself feel even worse and it did effect my confidence and i started doubting my ability!

I got to a stage where I would decide what I needed to do in the morning and do them each one by one throughout the day...no matter how hard I thought they would be. Seems to have worked for me because now I seem to be on top of things again and in turn my confidence has grown. Yours might be abit more serious Im unsure from your thread but maybe you could try the same! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi OP,
    I have suffered with panic attacks for quite a few years now. I have managed to ease it right back using a few techniques. That's not to say they're gone completely but these coping techniques have helped me a lot. First thing I did was get myself a really good quality multivitamin and try to get as much sleep as possible. Being run down, tired and malnourished definitely take their toll on your mental health. A good long walk in the evening time followed by a long soak in the bath is really relaxing. If you do find yourself worrying about small things it's a good exercise to sit down with a notebook and write down each one, and then answer it. For example, "I'm nervous talking to people", and think of a rational answer about how you can overcome this. It sounds silly but it really does work. In fact, keeping a diary for a few months is a good exercise, it might help you pinpoint the root of your stress and worry.
    Also I found that devoting 30 minutes or an hour of 'relaxation time' every day is great - just go to your room, try aromatherapy/incense, light a candle and just lie down. Do some breathing exercises, try to clear your mind.I know you say you've tried this but on a long-term level you need to slow your body right down. Practicing this will really help. Basically you really need to treat yourself nicely. Try to do one relaxing thing every day and when you are feeling stressed, just think about your last relaxation session and remember how relaxed you were. I hope these tips help - if you are open minded to them they will, don't worry about feeling stupid doing any of them, just spend some time on your own practicing how to slow yourself down. Share your worries with friends and it should ease back. Good luck!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement