Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hermeneutics

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

"You scored between 20 and 52, meaning you're a conservative on The Hermeneutic Scale."

Hmm, as I expected.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Jakkass wrote: »
    You scored between 20 and 52, meaning you're a conservative
    Ye gods, man -- AFAIR, you're 18. Doesn't being called 'conservative' worry you?

FWIW, on this highly asymmetric and question-begging test, I scored 98 and the website labelled me a 'progressive'. Ho, hum!

robindch wrote: »
    Ye gods, man -- AFAIR, you're 18. Doesn't being called 'conservative' worry you?

FWIW, on this highly asymmetric and question-begging test, I scored 98 and the website labelled me a 'progressive'. Ho, hum!

Why should being conservative worry me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I scored 50, which puts me (only just) in the conservative bracket.

I thought some of the questions were pretty skewed. For example, Fred Phelps would rank as more conservative than Jesus Christ. :eek:

I was in the 30 region :D

• Advertisement

Why should being conservative worry me?
    I don't want to come across as rude or some daft fuddy-duddy, but you're a teenager, for heaven's sake! You should be out learning about the world, experiencing it, trying it out, doing what you can, rebelling, finding out what you're not supposed to do, and why you're not supposed to do it! And you shouldn't be in the business of swallowing the narrow views of elderly men with much to protect, while getting you do the protection. By all means, become conservative when you've got something to be conservative about!

Jeez, there were guys I knew in school who were conservative when I knew them twenty years ago. These days, they can make a stone weep with tedium, while all about hangs the withered smell of missed opportunity.

That's why.

Are you seriously suggesting because I believe in something, I can't experience the world, or get the same opportunities as anyone else? Really, that is a low hit :p

Are you seriously suggesting because I believe in something, I can't experience the world or get the same opportunities as anyone else?
    Not quite. I'm saying that you've acquired a wide range of other people's opinions on moral issues and you have chosen to declare these acquired opinions to be perfect without ever having experienced the issue, or ever having had to think the issues through.

Specifically, I'm thinking here of things that you've voiced support for in the past including the genocidal wars of the OT, the "wrongness" of certain kinds of sex or sex-related issues, selling one's own daughter into slavery, and so on.

To pick one, that last item suggests to me that you have never actually thought about what parenthood is, or what responsibility to a child, or care or love or slavery actually mean -- instead, you parrot a distinctly nasty party line. It's immensely saddening to see that kind of totally unthinking, black and white attitude in anybody, let alone somebody at the start of their life when these opinions matter.

(btw, it's not intended to be a low hit, and you did ask!)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

PDN wrote: »
    I scored 50, which puts me (only just) in the conservative bracket.

I thought some of the questions were pretty skewed. For example, Fred Phelps would rank as more conservative than Jesus Christ. :eek:

Unless I am reading this wrong ( and I am very tired, so I could be) this website says Jesus was conservative? He was a bit of a hippy with all that love one another stuff. :)

Not quite. I'm saying that you've acquired a wide range of other people's opinions on moral issues and you have chosen to declare these acquired opinions to be perfect without ever having experienced the issue, or ever having had to think the issues through.

Specifically, I'm thinking here of things that you've voiced support for in the past including the genocidal wars of the OT, the "wrongness" of certain kinds of sex or sex-related issues, selling one's own daughter into slavery, and so on.

To pick one, that last item suggests to me that you have never actually thought about what parenthood is, or what responsibility to a child, or care or love or slavery actually mean -- instead, you parrot a distinctly nasty party line. It's immensely saddening to see that kind of totally unthinking, black and white attitude in anybody, let alone somebody at the start of their life when these opinions matter.

(btw, it's not intended to be a low hit, and you did ask!)

And this somehow is meant to limit my future opportunities? As for selling daughter into slavery, no I do not advocate it I'm merely suggesting that there is reasons why that would be included in Torah. Theres no convincing some though really. Note the passage says "if", i.e in the event that it does happen.

I don't know what it is intended to be then? Would you like to elaborate?

I personally think that you are suggesting that we should just bow down and not offer any form of explanation on Scripture even when it is asked of us.

As for same sex issues, surely I'm allowed to hold my own position on it, and as far as that goes I've only held the traditional view of the Church. You seem to think that I hate people who are attracted to the same sex? That's utterly false.

Again you can take whatever view you wish of me. Really go ahead. However I have spent a lot of time questioning my faith, and actually listening to what others in opposition have said of Christianity, and I have decided that it is the faith for me. I spent several months deciding over this, as I was formerly an agnostic. However you clearly won't be convinced by this, and clearly I'm not too bothered to explain something I really shouldn't have to explain.

I suppose this is the line where I'm supposed to add, congratulations for the insults, but I'm pretty sure I'll be staying with Jesus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I don't want to come across as rude or some daft fuddy-duddy, but you're a teenager, for heaven's sake! You should be out learning about the world, experiencing it, trying it out, doing what you can, rebelling, finding out what you're not supposed to do, and why you're not supposed to do it! And you shouldn't be in the business of swallowing the narrow views of elderly men with much to protect, while getting you do the protection. By all means, become conservative when you've got something to be conservative about!

Jeez, there were guys I knew in school who were conservative when I knew them twenty years ago. These days, they can make a stone weep with tedium, while all about hangs the withered smell of missed opportunity.

That's why.

The withered smell of missed opportunity! Did you ever turn your hand to poetry, Robin? It is remarkable how you can draw parallels between your tedious former classmates and someone on the internet - especially because your opinion on the matter seems to be primarily based on what score they achieved on an internet questionnaire. I'm beginning to think that 'conservative' (something I wouldn't consider myself to be, btw) is just about the dirtiest word you can call someone.

The withered smell of missed opportunity! Did you ever turn your hand to poetry, Robin? It is remarkable how you can draw parallels between your tedious former classmates and someone on the internet - especially because your opinion on the matter seems to be primarily based on what score they achieved on an internet questionnaire. I'm beginning to think that 'conservative' (something I wouldn't consider myself to be, btw) is just about the dirtiest word you can call someone.

I think alot of people who grow up through college and 'fight da powa' are taught that conservative means selfish, and to be fair alot of people who take up conservative stances do so because it benefits them, whereas liberals tend not to be. And while alot of Christian views are conservative, surely a good Christian shouldn't believe in conservative financial views, for example, the eye of the needle and all that? Good samaritan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Well then they are taught to incorrectly generalise. I don't know where anyone gets the notion that conservative = selfish. Conservatism is merely a person(s) or a system that favours traditional values, beliefs and customs. In itself this isn't a bad thing, nor does it necessarily lead to acts of selfishness above a liberal outlook.

Thank you Fanny Cradock, that is exactly the view I take. I want to be true to the Gospel and scriptures to lead my life. I'm by no means coercing anyone else to do the same.

Well then they are taught to incorrectly generalise. I don't know where anyone gets the notion that conservative = selfish. Conservatism is merely a person(s) or a system that favours traditional values, beliefs and customs. In itself this isn't a bad thing, nor does it necessarily lead to acts of selfishness above a liberal outlook.

That was actually the point I was trying to make. I think alot of people equate conservatism with selfishness and thats why it gets a bad name. It was asked why you wondered conservatism has a bad name.

I'm not a big fan of conservatism but I'm able to divorce the reality from the propganda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

I took this interesting quiz on Hermeneutics.

http://www.buildingchurchleaders.com/assessments/individuals/hermeneuticsquiz.html

I scored as a moderate.
    Yes, an interesting quiz.

I got 39 - conservative. Not bad for a non-Sabbattarian, non-teetotaler, who believes in divorce & remarriage in certain circumstances. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

55, which makes me moderate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

SDooM wrote: »
    I think alot of people who grow up through college and 'fight da powa' are taught that conservative means selfish, and to be fair alot of people who take up conservative stances do so because it benefits them, whereas liberals tend not to be. And while alot of Christian views are conservative, surely a good Christian shouldn't believe in conservative financial views, for example, the eye of the needle and all that? Good samaritan?

There may well some confusion in this thread, in that theology uses the word 'conservative' to refer to one's interpretation of the Bible. So, to put it crudely, 'conservative' means "the Bible is true" whereas 'liberal' means "the Bible isn't true".

So you can be conservative theologically, but liberal politically and socially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

52 - Conservative. Questions are ok but the options of answer are very limiting IMO.

Advertisement