Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Housing and Furnishing

Options
  • 20-01-2015 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi there, just wondering what experiences anyone has had regarding if CWO helps with the furnishing of a social house. I am told that I am very high on the list for the next lot of houses due in February and I am unsure how I am going to manage to furnish the place (should it come about, I just want to have myself prepared).

Please no hate, I have worked up until last year where I now care for my mother and also have a 2 year old son. I am in receipt of lone parent.

I am in Offaly by the way!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭sandra06

hi not 100 % sure but as far as i know you get about 2 grand from the council to furnish your home but i think you go through the cwo to apply

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

The council don't give you a penny to furnish the house. You can go to the CWO for an exceptional needs type payment. Don't hold your breath expecting it to cover everything although you 'may' be lucky. It seems to be hit and miss from one CWO to the next. For example when my mother moved into her house fifteen yrs ago it was a shell. concrete everything. She barely got enough to cover some flooring. But I have heard of others getting more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Go to electrical shops/furniture shops and get quotes for what you need, i.e beds, fridge, washing machine, lino (be warned, a lot of council homes are given completely bare), cooker etc and visit your local CWO with the quotes.

You should be given a cheque made out to the shops from which you received the quotes, but in my experience, it's never the full amount, but it should help a lot.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

I know someone who got 2,500 to furnish their house so they do seem to give it out alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Its a discretionary payment afaik and a CWO can give money.They would be better off giving a cheque and have a weekly deduction from scheme set up to repay the amount given rather than the hit and miss scenario currently in place.

• Advertisement
Advertisement