Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v Czech Republic

• 10-02-2012 12:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Squad announced:

Given, Westwood, Forde, O’Shea, Kelly, Ward, Dunne, St. Ledger, O’Dea, Foley, Whelan, McCarthy, Coleman, Andrews, Fahey, Gibson, Duff, McGeady, Hunt, Keane, Doyle, Long, Cox, Walters.

No place for McClean, Pilkington, Hoolahan, Wilson.

No surprises really though, didn't think they would get a look in prior to the euros, the above squad is probably what we will head over to Pol/Ukr with, minus one of the above players.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I know there'll be a few giving out that McClean isn't in the squad but I personally think Trap is right in leaving him out. The lad is still young and the squad he has chosen are the reason why we're in the Euro's.

Bring him in after the Euro's for the World Cup qualifications.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

No Stephen Ireland? :confused:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTOaUgwIF8Ja7OyPBkqeO5S-nh4wzqvF6mdBAMhQ4ZU8ozpajvf

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I'll have to agree with the above, I know we want to see McClean but there will be plenty of chances after the Euros and hopefully he will play a roll in our WC qualification campaign. In saying that a few from that squad really need to start performing pretty soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Thought there might be room for one surprise package but doesnt appear to be. That is pretty much the squad that will go to Euros.

Would it have done any harm to have a few of the fringe players in and around the squad for this friendly? like have a 28 man squad just to start to integrate players or is trap right in purely focusing on euros?

POKERKING wrote: »
    Thought there might be room for one surprise package but doesnt appear to be. That is pretty much the squad that will go to Euros.

Would it have done any harm to have a few of the fringe players in and around the squad for this friendly? like have a 28 man squad just to start to integrate players or is trap right in purely focusing on euros?

Well it's preparation for the Euro's. There's only this game, the Bosnia game and a friendly away to Hungary before the Euro's begin.

As long as injuries don't come into play, I imagine this will be the squad that goes to the Euro's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

That_Guy wrote: »
    Well it's preparation for the Euro's. There's only this game, the Bosnia game and a friendly away to Hungary before the Euro's begin.

As long as injuries don't come into play, I imagine this will be the squad that goes to the Euro's.

Yes but what if injuries Do come into play?? I presume he would go back to the likes of keogh,lawerence,mc shane etc. We wont see any new capped players between now and after the euros..thats for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Apart from 'loyalty' a lot of the midfielders in particular have little more to offer on the likes of mcclean and pilkington especially, who are form players in the EPL and are at least worth a look IMO. This line of 'these are the lads who got us there' is bogus as far as i'm concerned. These players are professional, the manager has a responsibility to select the best players available to him and IMO he is not doing his job properly by not looking at these players and giving them a proper chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Apart from 'loyalty' a lot of the midfielders in particular have little more to offer on the likes of mcclean and pilkington especially, who are form players in the EPL and are at least worth a look IMO. This line of 'these are the lads who got us there' is bogus as far as i'm concerned. These players are professional, the manager has a responsibility to select the best players available to him and IMO he is not doing his job properly by not looking at these players and giving them a proper chance.

The manager's only responsibility is to achieve results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Can't believe Trap has overlooked Andy Reid again :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Couldn't have put it better myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The manager's only responsibility is to achieve results.

Exactly and that's what he's done so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Happy by lack of Mcshane, thought he would have made the squad. Wouldn't have included Coleman, been very poor this season and has barely played in months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

POKERKING wrote: »

In fairness Coleman and McCarthy are included after not being around much through the qualification, they are 2 that still could get into the starting 11 if they impress in the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

This loyalty he's showing is not good for anyone bar the players in the squad. If you know your guaranteed to be going to the Euro's your clearly not going to find that extra gear required to prove you deserve to go to the championships. That extra gear has been the making of some players going to major championships in other countries. On the cusp of the squad and position is debatable, they step up to the plate come the business time and are a key player for the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭QDog10

The Italian mentality seems to be one of conservatism in team selection and also team tactics. Personally have been impressed with Mc Clean's performances since he has joined Sunderland. Is still somewhat of an unkonwn to premiership defenders who will be more aware of his style of play and abilities in the return matches/next season. Would agree though that the WC qualifiers is the best time for Trapp to clear the decks/shuffle things around and include the likes of himself/ Coleman in the starting 11 assuming they maintain their form and places with their respective clubs. Would Mc Clean not be worth a place in the Euro squad though to at least add something different if we are chasing a game??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

its_phil wrote: »
    This loyalty he's showing is not good for anyone bar the players in the squad. If you know your guaranteed to be going to the Euro's your clearly not going to find that extra gear required to prove you deserve to go to the championships. That extra gear has been the making of some players going to major championships in other countries. On the cusp of the squad and position is debatable, they step up to the plate come the business time and are a key player for the competition.

I can't agree with that, that 'extra gear' can be found if you know the manager has faith in you, they all know exactly how Trap has set out his stall and it's up to them to repay his faith and push themselves so they don't let down their team-mates or management. I'm personally happy enough with the squad, tournament football requires absolutely solid team spirit,Trap wants to maintain that, anyone of today's squad that don't go it will be because of injury so there is still room for others to push their way in. This way we won't have any English style bullshít about players being left out (Gazza).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

djPSB wrote: »
    Can't believe Trap has overlooked Andy Reid again :pac:

I love Traps response when RTE's Tony O'Donoghue asked him that question for the umpteenth time in an interview...

"Andy Reid....TONY!....MAMMA MIA!!!!" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I know there'll be a few giving out that McClean isn't in the squad but I personally think Trap is right in leaving him out. The lad is still young and the squad he has chosen are the reason why we're in the Euro's.

I think he should have picked McClean. These are friendlies to try out things before the euros. No harm to pick him to see how he does.
    I don't buy being young as an excuse to not play in any game. If you're good enough, you're old enough.

Yes but what if injuries Do come into play?? I presume he would go back to the likes of keogh,lawerence,mc shane etc. We wont see any new capped players between now and after the euros..thats for sure.

More than likely he would go call on these players should injuries arise. Why? They know the system by now.

I don't and didn't expect any new players to get selected for these upcoming fixtures. The immediate futrure is the Euro's and that's what we should be looking towards. How would you feel if you were a key player in getting us to the Euro's only for your chance to play at a big tournament be taken by a young lad who didn't partake in the Euro qualifiers.

Plenty of time for the young lads to get a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

McClean/Pilkington are the McCarthy/Coleman of last year. McCarthy and Coleman are now regulars in the squad, to me it just looks like Trap really wants to ease players into the squad and show them that they have to work hard and be dedicated. I have no doubt that McClean and probably Pilkington (has he officially declared?), will feature in squads after the euros, but for now Trap is sticking to the players who have earned the right to be there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Disagree, he is the form Irish player in the EPL at the minute and deserves his chance to prove himself.

These players got us there great, but why can't we move on and try get better with the inclusion of better players? McClean has stood out for Sunderland and for me would be one of the 1st names on the team sheet at the minute.

We could have a very strong midfield but alas, we won't.

QDog10 wrote: »
    The Italian mentality seems to be one of conservatism in team selection and also team tactics. Personally have been impressed with Mc Clean's performances since he has joined Sunderland. Is still somewhat of an unkonwn to premiership defenders who will be more aware of his style of play and abilities in the return matches/next season. Would agree though that the WC qualifiers is the best time for Trapp to clear the decks/shuffle things around and include the likes of himself/ Coleman in the starting 11 assuming they maintain their form and places with their respective clubs. Would Mc Clean not be worth a place in the Euro squad though to at least add something different if we are chasing a game??

LOL at the lazy stereotyping of Italian managers mentality.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I think he should have picked McClean. These are friendlies to try out things before the euros. No harm to pick him to see how he does.
    I don't buy being young as an excuse to not play in any game. If you're good enough, you're old enough.

I disagree somewhat. Yes friendlies are important in terms of blooding in new players and trying out various tactics but not when we've only got three games to prepare for a tournament.

The tactics that McClean knows at Sunderland are quite different to that of Trap's. He'll learn in time but I think three games before we play the likes of Spain and Italy is too little time to prepare in my opinion.

I want to see new players being introduced as much as the next guy but I'm content with what we have at our disposal for now.

AGC wrote: »
    Disagree, he is the form Irish player in the EPL at the minute and deserves his chance to prove himself.

These players got us there great, but why can't we move on and try get better with the inclusion of better players? McClean has stood out for Sunderland and for me would be one of the 1st names on the team sheet at the minute.

So you wouldn't mind stepping aside for a young lad to take your place even though you've played every minute of every game in the run up to the Euro's?

He's in form sure but he's only recently started playing at a much higher level than he's used to at Derry City. He's done well don't get me wrong but there's still a lot to learn. He'll get his chance eventually.

AGC wrote: »

Has Andy Reid thought us nothing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Not bothered about him leaving out McClean he won't start anyway, but that will be the squad going to the euros more than likely minus 1 player who probably be a striker. Cox seems guaranteed to go so things mightn't look great for Shane Loing which would be a disastrous decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

So you wouldn't mind stepping aside for a young lad to take your place even though you've played every minute of every game in the run up to the Euro's?

this to me is the most bogus part of the argument re: whether these lads are selected or not. All the players in and around the squad are professionals. Being selected/dropped is a part of the game at all levels. It gets (and should get) more ruthless and cut throat the higher up in the game you go. Of course whoever drops out would be pissed off, but so what, they are supposed to be pros, and dealing with pissed off players is a part of team management at every level of the game. The loyalty and kudos you might show for a loyal servant to a junior club playing a big game is completly different to showing unfailing loyalty to players at this level.
    Trap and co are entitled to select the players they want to select when they want to select them, and ultimatly they will live or die by the decisions they make, but IMO loyalty to players because they have played through the qualifying campaign should have f all to do with it

The success of Trap's teams has always been built around players being extremely familier with his system. Familiarty only comes with plenty of game time together. This is not a time for integration. So we were never going to have too much changes in the squad. I'd expect Trap to field a very unexperimental side in both friendlies.

While we'll all have our own ideas about who should or shouldn't be in the squad, I'd wager that nobody would come anywhere near the depth of thought of Trap on this, a man who, again just to remind ourselves is one of the most successful managers of all time.

this to me is the most bogus part of the argument re: whether these lads are selected or not. All the players in and around the squad are professionals. Being selected/dropped is a part of the game at all levels. It gets (and should get) more ruthless and cut throat the higher up in the game you go. Of course whoever drops out would be pissed off, but so what, they are supposed to be pros, and dealing with pissed off players is a part of team management at every level of the game. The loyalty and kudos you might show for a loyal servant to a junior club playing a big game is completly different to showing unfailing loyalty to players at this level.
    Trap and co are entitled to select the players they want to select when they want to select them, and ultimatly they will live or die by the decisions they make, but IMO loyalty to players because they have played through the qualifying campaign should have f all to do with it

I'm sorry, but they are also men. Men who will be asked to go out in three successive games in a short space of time against opponents who are technically and athletically superior to them from 1 - 11. And they will be asked to make a fist of it each time, to close that technical / athletic gap through passion, pride and determination alone.

A settled camp with an element of siege mentality about it will help to achieve that. A sense that the players in the squad are the people to earn this shot will help to achieve that. A shared experience of previous disappointments will help to achieve that. A sense that extraordinary effort on the pitch will be repaid in faith and loyalty from the manager will help to achieve that.

This is not a run of the mill premiership side. This is something a lot more important - and complex - than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,272 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but they are also men. Men who will be asked to go out in three successive games in a short space of time against opponents who are technically and athletically superior to them from 1 - 11. And they will be asked to make a fist of it each time, to close that technical / athletic gap through passion, pride and determination alone.

A settled camp with an element of siege mentality about it will help to achieve that. A sense that the players in the squad are the people to earn this shot will help to achieve that. A sense that extraordinary effort on the pitch will be repaid in faith and loyalty from the manager will help to achieve that.

This is not a run of the mill premiership side. This is something a lot more important - and complex - than that.
    What happens if one or two of the midfielders get injured in the last couple of weeks of the league? We end up having to bring in players, like McClean, who will have no experience of playing in the set up required. It is pathetically stupid to not bring in a few of the fringe players for the warm up games - we know what the first 11 will be and we know what they can do, same of the consistent backups to them, we need to see the players outside of the probably 23 get some game time and experience.

Advertisement