Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting People In The Face.....Online

Options
  • 06-09-2011 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭

Missed the opportunity to reply to that thread before the lock so my question is, how much online gaming do you do?

Personally Im not big into it. Ive played most of the modern military FPS's online but they left me cold. I think I now know my problem is that since I get no major satisfaction from beating real people, getting up leaderboards etc, I don't put in the necessary time required to improve my skills. This obviously means whenever I do fire up an online shooter, I get my ass handed to me repeatedly and frequently.
    Playing a map on BF2 awhile back, the endless restarts drove me mad. Run down a hill towards the town, get shot. Respawn. Run down the hill, get alittle further along, get shot. Respawn. Run down the hill, enter the town. Meet another player in a tight alleyway, before the signal from my brain has reached my finger to press the mouse button to fire my M14, he has done some ninja move, gone prone and headshoted me with some peashooting pistol. Respawn! :D

I just cant be doing with it. I know if I stick at it, Ill improve but I get nothing but frustration from the learning curve. If I actually placed any value on getting good at it, I might persevere but I don't. I just find the whole thing to be a pain in the ass.
    One of the few online shooters I enjoy is Left 4 Dead 2. I love the teamwork aspect, the slower pace, the fact that like a SP campaign, theres continuity in that you're working towards a goal. Your'e not respawning in order to do the same thing every 2 minutes.

Story driven games which really immerse you in a world are all Im really bothered with. I know Im missing out but I cant make meself enjoy it! Anyone else?

Do you play much online? 75 votes

Yes, all the time. Rarely bother with single player
    0% 0 votes
    Yes, regularly. But I play SP campaigns alot too
    21% 16 votes
    No, not really. I have dabbled and test out MP on new games but found I prefer SP more
    52% 39 votes
    No, almost never. SP games only for me.
    26% 20 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 faceshooter

Who wants a shot in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Depends completely on the game for me. I wouldn't be as into CoD-ing it up online like my freinds do, although I've had a lot of fun doing so. But I loved playing through their single player campaigns.
    However, I've been spending quite a lot of time playing Street Fight IV online. The fights are a lot more interesting, complex, and genuinely more exciting that battling AI all day. No two players seem to have the same style, and you've really got to think on your feet in order to stand a chance. This makes for some exhilarating gaming.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I mostly play single player games, though i have spent large amounts of time playing various MMO's (Warcraft and Eve Online for example). A good single player campaign will always attract me to a game more then it's multiplayer features.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

Just Team Fortress 2 usually. I've played some others in passing but the only one I come back to is TF2. I haven't played it in a while do to being busy and spending a lot of time with my GF over the summer (and more recently I've been playing Human Revolution all the time) so I haven't played it in a while. But I'll be going back to it when I can.

Mostly I just play SP games though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I like many other prefer single player games more than online multiplayer, doesnt help that a majority of games that have online seems they just slapped it on with no mind of what its like and make it so similar to cod online with little effort. They're a few that seem really innavotive that i appreciate for adding a new experience like demon souls online , assassin creed (etc.).
    i would much prefer co op than anything else, you could play singleplayer game by yourself and clear it and be satisfied but when ya play co op like an entire new game again with better fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I've tried getting into the big MP franchises like COD, BF etc. but it really does seem to be the realm of the obsessive teenager. The time needed to become merely competant is hard to find and when I have dedicated time to it I've often come away feeling unrewarded.

Demon's Souls was decent enough in MP but there was a bit too much waiting around involved.

I suppose if you play with a bunch of friends and/or like-minded individuals any game can be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I mainly play SP games but i do like to play online often enough.

I find the online games which reward teamwork like TF2 and BF are better opposed to the likes of COD where theres less cooperation.

I know Minecraft isnt a shooter but its a great game online as well.

But ill always put more time into single player games.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I mostly prefer single player to multiplayer with the exception of L4D2 most nights.

Lately I've gone back to SA-MP since a friend coaxed me into doing it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

for me some games are single player with MP added on and vice versa.

The CoD series for me has always been MP,with the the single player campaigns as add-ons(some are enjoyable enough in fairness).

recent single player games where i think the story is the end all and be all and the MP is just a brucie bonus would be unchartered 2,deadspace 2 and bioshock 2.Notice the first in those series were only single player campaigns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Can we get a "I used to play online, but then I got a girlfriend/job/meth addiction" option. Got I miss the days where I could play games and not suck.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I personally prefer single player, but the likes of co-op games like l4d are far more appealing to me than say tf2 or cod would be.

Gaming by yourself can sometimes be even more dull than being bored gaming with friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

SP for me.

The only time I've dabbled in the dark arts is Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. I enjoyed it up to the point where I got pissed off by arsehole targets running around on rooftops. No doubt at home, laughing in an Italian accent.

Occasionally played Tekken 6 online, but lag can really destroy well constructed juggle-combos, so I just played my brother. Who eventually got so good, I could never beat him...... -_-

Oh, actually, I also played Uncharted 2. I actually enjoyed that, especially co-op.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,296 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Mostly stick to SP, but I'll play online every now and again. Online generally just annoys me because it's great when it just comes out, but after a while it becomes next to impossible to break into. People spend waaayyyy too much time playing some of these games. Making seemingly impossible shots/moves, knowing exactly where to stand or go, exploiting glitches, boosting etc.

Don't get me wrong, it's an achievement to be able to do some of the stuff they can do and get that good at the game, but for a casual player to try and venture in, it's extremely frustrating, and most times, just not really worth the effort. Best MP I've played in the past 12 months was AC:Brotherhood. Very well balanced

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

The storylines and characters featured in single player campaigns will always be the biggest draw for me.

There are a few exceptions of course, I still get perverse pleasure in one-upping another person in an online game while playing solo, as do I love playing co-op with friends in various guises of multiplayer, but they all pale in comparison to the sense of satisfaction I get from completing the single player aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

To me, there is a greater experience to be had in multiplayer with friends and familiars than in single player, being part of a greater collective elevates the experience over that of most single player designed campaigns. Often from playing with others from the COD forum it's not the actually playing of the game that's the real enjoyment but the banter in playing with the same people. You and a friend might have had a great experience of single player and talk about the campaign but you're still distant to each other wheras in multiplayer games you can experience it with a companion or companions at the same time.

Some single player games have really immersive traits and lend themselves to very enjoyable solitary activity. Most FPS have woeful campaigns and very little effort put in to them in comparison to other genres. Games like football manager and total war series for me have massive pulling power and I spend far too long in them. It's far harder to elaborate on something that happened in single player and make it sound as exciting as it was to you at the time than if it happened in multiplayer and another voice to describe the scene.

I've said a few times that for certain games it's not the love of the online multiplayer that's the real draw over time but the group experience and social aspect which sustains a game far longer than you would have played if you played multiplayer on your own. Trying to outscore a friend that's up against you is far more enjoyable than some random person, it's even more enjoyable when you do it in a novel or unexpected way. I've bought far fewer games of late simply because the multiplayer aspect lasts far longer than the most intricate campaigns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Play online most of the time, much better challenge/experience than playing against crappy AI.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I do like playing online but usually limit my play to FIFA, Street Fighter IV or Warhawk.

I've tried to play a few shooter but, like the OP, I pretty much suck and can't be bothered putting the effort into not sucking. For me, a good story and a addictive single player mode is far more important than multiplayer. I'd have been interested in a new Medal of Honor game, for example, because I love the series but lost interest when I realised that the single player is tacked onto the multiplayer and not the other way around.

The exception is Warhawk. I've probably put more hours into that game than any other other than Football/Championship Manager. I love the learning curve on that, I love that it's a third person shooter instead of a FPS, I love that they stick new players in with new players so that they can learn the game and level up without making them cannon fodder for experienced players, I like the way that it's so varied - I'm still rubbish at flying the Warhawk, but that's fine because I can use a tank or a missile silo and hold my own using them. I'd take that over a Call of Duty any day of the week.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Another SF4 player here.

There's virtually no point in the single player of most fighting games. Most people either play local 2P, or online. Online's not perfect as even a few miliseconds of lag can cause trouble but it's great for learning match ups and emulating the (for me all important) tournament experience of fighting totally different styles and characters from one moment to the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Can we get a "I used to play online, but then I got a girlfriend/job/meth addiction" option. Got I miss the days where I could play games and not suck.

Don't forget the 'but then they stopped supporting clan servers' option.

• Advertisement
Advertisement