Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hmm, what are Razer up to? Wall Street Journal ad.

Options
  • 22-08-2011 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭

yAgYg.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Indulging in some cheeky pandering PR, while stroking the ego of their customer base.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I can't even begin to imagine what this is about. My first guess would some sort of universal emulator...but all the console technology is proprietary so I seriously doubt that is the case. Their website just gives the same spiel.

Could it have something to do with this?
    EDIT: Actually, reading more, it's got to be the Switchblade: "the development of the Switchblade started from a small gaming peripheral company, into a well-known corporation that would develop the first full portable PC gaming console."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Says here that it's just a concept, won't be going on sale. http://razerzone.com/switchblade/about I agree with you, though. All signs point to this. So, they're either releasing something based on this concept, or they changed their minds and will release this

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's nowhere near powerful enough to play most modern games though. Unless they've come with with a new chip, i can't see it 'revolutionising' pc gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Kiith wrote: »
    It's nowhere near powerful enough to play most modern games though. Unless they've come with with a new chip, i can't see it 'revolutionising' pc gaming.

Don't forget that because of the screen size, it only needs to play games at relatively low settings. You're right in that it won't be able to play the latest and greatest, but if it managed to hit the sweet spot where it's relatively cheap (I'm hoping for handheld price territory) but can still play a vast range of the PC's back catalogue, I'd definitely pick one up.

P.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Some manner of product like the Switchblade if it's not the Switchblade itself.

Might also be that they're investing more in console accessories :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

I hadn't seen the hands on vid. To give them their dues, if it gives decent graphical performance and up to 3 hours of battery life, I'd consider it for LANs and stuff. I'd want it to run Starcraft 2, Source engine and assuming it's not going to be a ball of ring, Battlefield 3 I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Shiminay wrote: »
    I hadn't seen the hands on vid. To give them their dues, if it gives decent graphical performance and up to 3 hours of battery life, I'd consider it for LANs and stuff.
    Train LAN on way to work ^.^

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

looks stupid... and the handon's was meh... not very responsive it seems.

What has that got to do with consoles tho ? Its just a very small laptop... which isn't a good thing for playing PC games imo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

It couldn't possibly be a viral campaign for a already announced product could it? :confused: If it is it will surely take its place amongst top echelons of epic marketing fails.

Edit: Hmmm, interesting ....

http://geek.pikimal.com/2011/08/22/mysterious-razer-website-teases-pc-gaming-revival-coming-friday/

Upon first hearing the news, many had predicted the announcement would herald a more polished release or upgrade of their award-winning Switchblade concept.

Razer is doing a presentation at PAX Prime on Saturday and the description of the presentation states, “If you were impressed with Razer’s Switchblade concept… wait until you get a load of what Razer has in store for you at PAX Prime.” The description also promises a first-hand look at whatever revolutionary product Razer will be unveiling. Since Razer CEO Min-Liang Tan will be on hand at the presentation, you can count on a very descriptive and engaging session.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i love it.

i have a 3DS in bedroom now so i can play a bit while misses watching telly.

it could replace 3DS in seconds. good game platform plus web browser etc.

i bet it will cost a fortune. unless it will be priced well, i dont see it working out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Such ads in print media is nothing new for games, sure it was done for the launch of tetris.

What exactly about it looks "stupid" Magill?

Given it's a prototype, you're going to assume that it's not going to be tweaked and adjusted to make sure that it's not top notch? Do you even know who Razer are? :p They don't do cheap and they definitely don't do anything less than top quality. Intel's been pushing this idea of an Ultrabook very hard in recent months and the specs from those should slot nicely into this sort of device - especially when you see the intel branding very prominently featured on the device. I don't expect it to stay on Atom for long - I'd see it getting Core i5 like a Macbook Air.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Magill wrote: »
    looks stupid... and the handon's was meh... not very responsive it seems.

What has that got to do with consoles tho ? Its just a very small laptop... which isn't a good thing for playing PC games imo.

You obviously havent used a laptop in the last couple of years,a gaming laptop has plenty of horsepower under the hood,10+ times what a console is capable of.
    I fail to see how a nice performing laptop is not good for pc gaming.
    I also fail to see how the switchblade is stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

"powerful intel atom" LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Dcully wrote: »
    You obviously havent used a laptop in the last couple of years,a gaming laptop has plenty of horsepower under the hood,10+ times what a console is capable of.
    I fail to see how a nice performing laptop is not good for pc gaming.
    I also fail to see how the switchblade is stupid.

I guess i worded that wrong. I meant that a really small laptop (like this switchblade) is stupid for PC gaming, trying to play a shooter or RTS on a screen thats only 8inches big just isn't very appealing imo, especially because that touchscreen looks **** for playing warcraft 3, a proper 15inch laptop.

Why someone wouldn't just buy a decent laptop instead of this thing is beyond me (Unless ofc its going to be cheap).. I can just see it being awkward to use.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Magill wrote: »
    Why someone wouldn't just buy a decent laptop instead of this thing is beyond me (Unless ofc its going to be cheap).. I can just see it being awkward to use.

Mans got a point.

Don't see why you'd choose this over a gaming laptop unless it was cheaper for the specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

This argument is pointless, the link marco_polo gave us said that it's not the Switchblade, but implied it may be something derived or inspired by it. This new thing could be three times as powerful for all we know.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Mans got a point.

Don't see why you'd choose this over a gaming laptop unless it was cheaper for the specs.

Yeah unless it's relatively cheap there is no real advantage to getting this over a half decent laptop, and if it does indeed use the atom then that's a big negative for a gaming machine.

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote: »
    This argument is pointless, the link marco_polo gave us said that it's not the Switchblade, but implied it may be something derived or inspired by it. This new thing could be three times as powerful for all we know.

a 3d printer that makes all your tf2 hats real?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Why someone wouldn't just buy a decent laptop instead of this thing is beyond me (Unless ofc its going to be cheap)

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I don't quite get who they are aiming the switchblade at.

They seem to want the 'hardcore' pc gamers to buy it, but how many 'hardcore' pc gamers ever actually look at their keyboard at all? It really doesn't take long to know keybinds off by heart which makes the so called 'genius' of changing what the keyboard displays as completely and utterly pointless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

being able to throw a seven inch gaming machine into your backpack could be handier than carting around a backpack and a laptop case.. I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Stick an apple logo on and say it can play Angry Birds HD and it will sell millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,319 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Stick an apple logo on and say it can play Angry Birds HD and it will sell millions.

I'd buy that **looks at iphone**

Seriously though that keyboard was very impressive but the touchscreen wasn't that responsive.

I wonder how it'll compare to Onlive?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

16:00 gmt today

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Krieg wrote: »
    16:00 gmt today
    What happens at four today?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The announcement for whatever it is Razor are talking about.

Advertisement