Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any gay gamers in here?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lady Inquisitor

Hi :)
    So, I am a 3G (Gay Girl Gamer). Been playing games since the NES and have settled on the Xbox for the time being. Big into Final Fantasy, Dragon Age, Halo etc and I play online. Already provided advance notice to my friends that they will not see me for a month when Halo 5: Guardians comes out.

What is everyone's favourite game?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

I couldn't give two s**** who the main character is in a game I'm playing at all, but do people here think it's needed I'm games?

The main problem for companies as they have said is that they would have no problem having main characters being gay/lesbian/bil/trans, but it all kinda boils down to sales

Same, unless the protagonist's backstory is integral to the ongoing plot then it hardly matters.

As for games with LGBT characters there are dozens and have been for many years. EA are a bit late to the party if they think that's edgy! LGBT references and characters have slowly evolved from in-game jokes, to background characters, to supporting characters and finally to main characters.

The first same-sex marriage was 1998 (Fallout 2), first transgender character I think was on the NES (Birdo, Mario bros 2). Rockstar released the game Bully in 2006 where the player character is a teenager (15) and he can optionally kiss several other guys in the game.

Even the new Mortal Kombat game has a gay character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj--p-ZZR0U

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

If anyone is using dedicated emulators for each retro system, instead try BizHawk. It's an all in one, so you only need one program to play a multitude of different systems, right back from Atari up to N64. It works perfectly and adjusts itself to your system capabilities so the games will always run smoothly and look their best. It's the best thing I ever used, and I would never dream of going near JNES, SNES9X or KGEN again. This outshines them any other emulator in every way. Plus the rewind feature is really handy and cool to watch when in action, so if you mess up, no need to use save states, just press rewind and watch yourself play in reverse until you reach the desired moment, then continue as normal, not making the silly mistake as last time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Paddy C wrote: »
    If anyone is using dedicated emulators for each retro system, instead try BizHawk. It's an all in one, so you only need one program to play a multitude of different systems, right back from Atari up to N64. It works perfectly and adjusts itself to your system capabilities so the games will always run smoothly and look their best. It's the best thing I ever used, and I would never dream of going near JNES, SNES9X or KGEN again. This outshines them any other emulator in every way. Plus the rewind feature is really handy and cool to watch when in action, so if you mess up, no need to use save states, just press rewind and watch yourself play in reverse until you reach the desired moment, then continue as normal, not making the silly mistake as last time!

Thanks paddy. Would you know if there is a version of this for an android based system? I'm using a gamestick at the moment for nes etc emulators

From what a quick Google search has found, there doesn't appear to be an Android port of the system, but many people have asked for it. Perhaps keep an eye on their website/forum, I'm sure once it is ported over it will be announced on there. :)

• Advertisement

Haha yeah I did a search after I posted :-)

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into it more.

Is it like happy chick? that's a terrible app/website thing.

Oh, no. It's a whole lot better. It's an actual program that needs to be installed with a lot more complexity and customisation. It (for now) only runs on Windows or Mac. It's very powerful and is probably the best emulator you can get at the moment in terms of game compatibility, console coverage and system stability. It's a fantastic piece of software, totally free and (considering it plays thousands and thousands of ROMs) provides endless possible entertainment... and I became aware of its existence by total accident too, and I'm so glad I did!

I intend using the record feature to capture long play game runs and glitches etc. for a YouTube game page I've started. Rather annoyingly though, someone has the name I wanted to use for my channel, so now I have to go think something else up!

Well post the link when you come up with a name.

I was gonna use "Paddy Plays", but someone already has that, but his channel only has 44 subscribers and despite uploading an awful lot of gameplay videos, most only have 1 or 2 views, many have 0.

Need something catchy and fun if I'm gonna be the next PewDiePie, or at least as rich as him!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Paddy C wrote: »
    If anyone is using dedicated emulators for each retro system, instead try BizHawk.

Thanks for the tip, I will check it out, sounds promising.
    What is everyone's favourite game?

Hard to pick one, if I had to choose I'd say Silent Hill 2. When I played it years ago I never fully understood it's meaning and the themes running through it, now that I look back on it I realize what a deep and introspective game it was, ahead of it's time. The terrible voice acting lets it down so much though.

Other, newer, games that I like would be Metro (2033 and Last Light) and Hitman Absolution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 198123

I'm 27 gay guy, out of a 6 year long relationship.

People say good looking ..

and after brake up I signed up to dating hoping to meet somebody to bring home and play PS4 ..

To my surprise people want to do something else haha (not for me) ..

But I love games ..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'm a PC gamer in my 30s and I'm engaged to a console gamer. Love knows no bounds!
    It does mean we sometimes have two copies of the same game but for different platforms.

I favour FPS and open-world RPGs. Looking forward to 'Fallout 4' soon. Games have come a long way since I started playing Sabre Wulf, Manic Miner, Chuckie Egg, etc on the ZX Spectrum.

198123 wrote: »
    I signed up to dating hoping to meet somebody to bring home and play PS4 ..

To my surprise people want to do something else haha (not for me)

I would feel misled if told "Come back to mine, I want to play some games with you..." only to be handed a playstaton controller when we get there :confused:

Started Project Zero on the Xbox last night in preparation for the new one on the WiiU coming.

Is the new one good? Youtube makes it look nicely atmospheric!

Is the new one good? Youtube makes it look nicely atmospheric!

Yeah, started it yesterday, just finished for the night there now and about half way through it.

I'm really enjoying it, not so much scary, but more, a bit disturbing an stuff. Lots of reading. Using the gamepad as the camera obscura is genius, there is a learning curve to it but I'm still getting the ghosts. The controls do annoy me from time to time, when I want to dodge an attack I always press Y instead of B and I'm brought into a menu. I am getting lost a lot at the moment, prob cause I'm over tired from playing it for two days straight lol. I'll try again tomorrow

It's it looks pretty damn amazing on the WiiU must say.

I also have Devils Third waiting to be started, think that's next on my list.

I've started my gaming channel on YouTube, no videos yet but intend recording some soon, not just play-throughs but reviews of some older games, custom ROM hacks and glitch/cheat videos too.

Channel is - pad e Plays if you wanna subscribe. :)

Sounds good Paddy, give us an idea of what you're putting on it? What system/console at least?

It will be mainly retro formats, so Gameboy, NES, SNES and MegaDrive. I may do some others depending but it's going to mostly be the classic 8-bit and 16-bit era.

As I say, it will be play-throughs of some games and reviews of others, and special videos looking at ROM hacks/custom games and glitches/cheats for certain games etc.

Sounds great! Subscribed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Ash885

Fair play! I'm starting a channel myself, mainly just League of Legends and Hearthstone games when I get my laptop fixed!

Best of luck with it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Kanhir

Gaymer here on the last slippery slope before his 30s. :)

I'm a PC gamer mostly, but I have the Nintendo consoles too, cos they still make great games even if their consoles can be...misguided.
    I've successfully managed to get my other half into gaming. Got him hooked with the South Park game, now I want to ease him into another RPG. Any suggestions?

Looking forward to your channel, paddy!
    (I'd love to set up a Let's Play channel, but I think people would be infuriated with how long I take to do things! Too much sidequesting and grinding.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 sierraecho

Another Gaymer here but less time to do so these days. Recently build my own gaming PC which was the best thing I ever did. Also have an XB360, XB1 and 3DS (which should just be called my pokémon console :D)

Pad-e and everyone on here, ever use Twitch to stream games? Good fun to stream some games on there and some channels are deadly to watch people play.

Haven't used Twitch myself, no. In fact, I've had to put the gaming end of my endeavours on the back burner for a while until I sort some other matters out, so if you have subscribed to my channel so far, many thanks, but you might have to wait another while before you see any content sadly. If only I had have saved the videos I made for an old channel before deleting it, I could have had some content to start me off until I was able to record some new stuff. Ah well.

Forgot about this lol.

So what's everyone's NNID, psn and Xbox usernames?

I'm under the name of readyletsgo on them (I think, must check after these few pints :)

Finally got around to playing the reboot of TR this week, loving it, now I have a reason to turn the xbone one, haha.

Played Everybody's gone to the Rapture on ps4 a few weeks back and loved it, sound an awesome soundtrack too! Anyone played it?

Also, as I was asking in Arcade & Retro earlier, I'm gonna pick up a Raspberry Pi 3 I think, anyone here use them? They sound very versatile, and interesting to mess with.

Finally got around to playing the reboot of TR this week, loving it

I played TR once or twice, didn't get very far (don't own it) but I thought it was good. The controversy around that 'famous' scene and the subsequent (misplaced) mass hysteria kind of made the game notorious for the wrong reasons though :(

Are you going to get the new Tomb Raider game, the one that was released only a couple of months ago?

Right now I'm heavily into The Division. It's great, but it's Ubisoft so naturally there are elements of it that piss me off a lot! It's frighteningly addictive though and the Dark Zone PvP is so much fun :D
    pad e wrote: »
    I've had to put the gaming end of my endeavours on the back burner for a while

Sorry to hear that pad e, was curious about the 8-bit and 16-bit stuff :(
    Ash885 wrote: »
    Fair play! I'm starting a channel myself

Over to you Ash ;)

Hah funnily enough was messing on Twitch the other day. I just need to get my rank up in League/Hearthstone etc. before publically being crap (that excuse good enough? ^^')

• Registered Users Posts: 6 LarDuinn

28 y/o gaymer guy here, just emerged from a Fallout 4/Final Fantasy X binge. Any Tekken fans actually? I'm madly looking forward to the next one. Ling Xiaoyu 4evz.

Final Fantasy X....gosh those were the days. Loved that game!

Oh wow, FFX, I sunk so many hours into that game back in the day. So much blitzball!

Tekken fan too but definitely not a Ling Xiaoyu fan, she's a character that button mashers can use to basically cheat (similar to Eddie Gordo!).

Lei Wulong for technique and skill or Bryan Fury for raw power!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 sierraecho

Ash885 wrote: »
    Final Fantasy X....gosh those were the days. Loved that game!

FFX, the game I played to death when I should have been studying for my Leaving Cert. Ha all worked out well in the end.

• Advertisement

sierraecho wrote: »
    FFX, the game I played to death when I should have been studying for my Leaving Cert. Ha all worked out well in the end.

Same! I had a 100+ save file for Blitzball alone. To say I was void of a life back then was putting it lightly...

Advertisement